Livingston - all the threads merged

5 hours ago, LogieLivi said:

Goals can be scored between minute 1 and 60 though...

Yeah and fitness can be worked on too, although 7 of his goals came after the 60 minutes, the first game Airdrie played against us Ryan scored in the 53rd and 65th minute.

6 hours ago, LIVIFOREVER said:

Yeah and fitness can be worked on too, although 7 of his goals came after the 60 minutes, the first game Airdrie played against us Ryan scored in the 53rd and 65th minute.

And he scored all his penalties as well - yes I get the point.

However we have examples of players who have managed to make the step up (White for example) and those that haven't (Calum Elliot; Jordyn Sherrin; Jordan Morton; Kieren Somerville)

As far as I recall all came with impressive stats and reports either from playing in lower leagues or been on loan to lower league clubs and thats not including the host of wingers and midfielders we've signed over the years following an impressive trial but failed to make an impact.

Ryan may be able to step up; he may be the answer but my question would be if he was so good why haven't one of the big spending clubs in the championship stepped in for him. The reason for that maybe they weren't playing against him last season but even so you'd think clubs like Falkirk and St Mirren were pretty on the ball.

His speed and acceleration is impressive; he nearly caught us out twice within the first ten minutes during our first league game at the Excelsior but other than that his fitness was appalling for someone of his age. His fitness can indeed be worked on but you would hope that a young man of 22 who wanted to make a career out of football wouldn't need telling that fitness was important. I'm sure Hopkins could get him up to the standard but that would probably mean he wouldn't be at the level we require until at least the new year.

As an aside we have Dylan Machin and Josh Peters coming in with something to prove; I'm not saying we shouldn't try to get Ryan but do not ply to much weight of expectation on the guy. In my fifty plus years of watching football I've seen too many messiahs coming in (only to realise they're just very naughty boys - sorry - couldn't resist).

1 hour ago, Durnford said:

And he scored all his penalties as well - yes I get the point.

However we have examples of players who have managed to make the step up (White for example) and those that haven't (Calum Elliot; Jordyn Sherrin; Jordan Morton; Kieren Somerville)

As far as I recall all came with impressive stats and reports either from playing in lower leagues or been on loan to lower league clubs and thats not including the host of wingers and midfielders we've signed over the years following an impressive trial but failed to make an impact.

Ryan may be able to step up; he may be the answer but my question would be if he was so good why haven't one of the big spending clubs in the championship stepped in for him. The reason for that maybe they weren't playing against him last season but even so you'd think clubs like Falkirk and St Mirren were pretty on the ball.

His speed and acceleration is impressive; he nearly caught us out twice within the first ten minutes during our first league game at the Excelsior but other than that his fitness was appalling for someone of his age. His fitness can indeed be worked on but you would hope that a young man of 22 who wanted to make a career out of football wouldn't need telling that fitness was important. I'm sure Hopkins could get him up to the standard but that would probably mean he wouldn't be at the level we require until at least the new year.

As an aside we have Dylan Machin and Josh Peters coming in with something to prove; I'm not saying we shouldn't try to get Ryan but do not ply to much weight of expectation on the guy. In my fifty plus years of watching football I've seen too many messiahs coming in (only to realise they're just very naughty boys - sorry - couldn't resist).

Actually he won most of their penalties and Russell took them, if Ryan had been taking the pens he'd have been well ahead of Buchs, providing he scored them tight enough. Russell scored 3 pens against QP in the one game.

Sheerin was scoring in the juniors, Ryan was scoring for fun in one league below the Championship, do you honestly think he wouldn't be able to step up a division? He wpont score as many as in League One but he'd still score plenty, prob around 15. We've signed Peters who was playing 2 divisions below Championship, and Mackin who played for Alloa on Loan, neither of them are as good as Ryan.

No idea why he hasn't been snapped up, but Buchanan wasn't exactly mr must have player either and look what he did for Alloa, then us, and Ryan outscored him playing in a shite Airdrie team. I'd still love to have had Buchs playing for us but he's away and Ryan would be a great replacement.

33 minutes ago, Ayia Napa Daz said:

Whilst I definitely agree Hopkin is doing a great job, I still think we're 1 or 2 players away from being the well oiled machine some seem to suggest. 8th would be a fantastic finish at this stage.

So Jesus and Ryan?

Guy at my work telling me two of your players are going for a trial at Cardiff, dk if this is news to you guys or yous were already aware?

Already aware. Knox and Danny Mullen.
Hence why we are playing against Cardiff in a friendly either tomorrow or next Friday.

Just now, FalkirkLad said:

Guy at my work telling me two of your players are going for a trial at Cardiff, dk if this is news to you guys or yous were already aware?

Knox and Mullen were meant to be away to Cardiff this week but it  was changed to the whole team going down on next Friday for a pre season game with us not playing next weekend. So Warnock will get to look at them in that game.