Livingston - all the threads merged

41 minutes ago, Colkitto said:

Didn't know this at all. Who's the 2nd largest shareholder? 

According to Companies House Morton have 4,017,716 shares issued.

The biggest shareholders are:

Golden Casket 3,556,838 (88.53%)
Morton Supporters Trust 183,461 (4.57%)
Buchanans (Scotland) Ltd 50,400 (1.25%)
David Hopkin 41,666 (1.04%)
Morag Buckles 14,800 (0.37%)
Iain D Brown 12,400 (0.3%)
Donald McPherson 11,360 (0.28%)
Brian Jackson 8,000 (0.2%)
AB Wylie 6,000 (0.15%)
W Knox 5,900 (0.15%)
Douglas MacNeil 5,000 (0.12%)
Nigel Law 3,000 (0.07%)

Hoppy is worth more than a move to Morton - I still think he'll go post-play-offs but it will be to down south (league 1 maybe), SPL or maybe Dundee Utd

Given that he is very secure financially, I imagine he’ll have the luxury of taking his time over his next job. I’d be disappointed if he moved to Morton (although understandable given the emotional ties) or Dundee United (basket case stuff there). If we stay down, it’s a wee bit of a rebuilding job I would say. Couple of big players out of contract and could easily double or treble their wage elsewhere - he seems to enjoy finding a player though and getting the best out of them, which may well help our hand here.

Wouldn’t be surprised if he moved on to something much bigger though.

Is he very secure financially though? He played at a decent level but still has the rest of his life to live. If you are getting offered £40k a year at Livi or £100K+ a year at Utd/SPL i know what id do...

18 minutes ago, Mpire said:

Is he very secure financially though? He played at a decent level but still has the rest of his life to live. If you are getting offered £40k a year at Livi or £100K+ a year at Utd/SPL i know what id do...

Its a personal choice but by all accounts he has a pretty impressive property portfolio - unlike a lot of his peers he didn't invest it into pubs and nightclubs.

Hoppy owns about 40 properties across the country, financially he is very secure, he wont leave for the money. 

Morton ofcourse will pull the heart strings but I’m not convinced that would be the best move for him, I don’t really see him taking Morton any further than us imo, plus it took him a season to really get us properly going, would the Morton fans be patient and accept that ? 

Have to say though that this speculation couldn’t have come at a worse time, heading into our biggest games in a century and doubt hanging over the manager, that’s never good preparation. 

51 minutes ago, andylivi1 said:

Hoppy owns about 40 properties across the country, financially he is very secure, he wont leave for the money. 

Morton ofcourse will pull the heart strings but I’m not convinced that would be the best move for him, I don’t really see him taking Morton any further than us imo, plus it took him a season to really get us properly going, would the Morton fans be patient and accept that ? 

Have to say though that this speculation couldn’t have come at a worse time, heading into our biggest games in a century and doubt hanging over the manager, that’s never good preparation. 

I'm sure he will have put it to the back of his mind and told (i) Livi and (ii) anyone else that he doesn't want to talk about his future till after the play-offs. I'm sure a few other players will be the same. Wanting to see how it pans out.

Bit of a storm in a tea cup here. The only way that Hopkin leaves for Morton is if the squad is completely decimated in the summer. I do not see that happening based on the moves we have made so far.

Could see Hopkin leaving and taking half the squad with him wherever he goes tbh, that's looking at it objectively.

Realistically if he's not in it for the money, he has no serious emotional ties to Livi so Morton would be the obvious move, if he simply wants to further his career and is ambitious then realistically he has taken Livi as far as he's ever going to be able to get them and, if you manage to go up this season, next season would almost certainly be very comfortable relegation (although you were greatly doubted this season tbf)

If he does stay then you should obviously be delighted, but I don't really see how Livi can improve from this position.

53 minutes ago, TheMessiah said:

Could see Hopkin leaving and taking half the squad with him wherever he goes tbh, that's looking at it objectively.

Realistically if he's not in it for the money, he has no serious emotional ties to Livi so Morton would be the obvious move, if he simply wants to further his career and is ambitious then realistically he has taken Livi as far as he's ever going to be able to get them and, if you manage to go up this season, next season would almost certainly be very comfortable relegation (although you were greatly doubted this season tbf)

If he does stay then you should obviously be delighted, but I don't really see how Livi can improve from this position.

Cue Livi's mazy European run :D Hoppy at the helm.

Don't think he'll take half the squad anywhere. Hoppy was driven out of Morton after a pretty heavy defeat with him in charge.

There's nothing to say he doesn't feel at home here - it's fair to say there's a great connection between the fans and him now. He's brought us back from death and it's genuinely a proper love-in for him. Our crowds are on the up and we've almost sold two buses out for the away leg of the semi-final and we don't even know where we're going. Livi are definitely a club on the up and the money from this season will go a long way, Hopkin will have a bigger budget as a result. He's said in the past that if he was to leave it would be a step up in his career to challenge himself and not to a club that is in a negative spot/period of change (however you may word it) - that's why I feel you can rule out Morton and Dundee Utd. If he is to move it'll be down south which is why a club like Sunderland is a bigger worry (not in the best place so contradicting a little) but the budgets can't even be compared.

I think any residual emotional connection for Hopkin is null when it comes to his job knowing how quickly it could go sour at Morton. Emotionally he's likely more invested in the project at this club and the huge backing John Ward has given him along with the fans. He was given the reins over everything in the club and built it in his image essentially. Not many clubs will give him that chance again especially if moving to a bigger club so that's why I think he'll stay - at least through next season.

10 hours ago, ATLIS said:

I think any residual emotional connection for Hopkin is null when it comes to his job knowing how quickly it could go sour at Morton. Emotionally he's likely more invested in the project at this club and the huge backing John Ward has given him along with the fans. He was given the reins over everything in the club and built it in his image essentially. Not many clubs will give him that chance again especially if moving to a bigger club so that's why I think he'll stay - at least through next season.

Thats not really exclusive to just Morton though.

It could go sour at Livvy next season too  just as quick and be sacked, thats the beauty of the beast these days.

Livvy dont exactly come across as loyal when you look at your recent list of managers.

13 minutes ago, madton said:

Thats not really exclusive to just Morton though.

It could go sour at Livvy next season too  just as quick and be sacked, thats the beauty of the beast these days.

Livvy dont exactly come across as loyal when you look at your recent list of managers.

The last bit is certainly true of past regimes but the current one stuck by Hoppy when we were relegated to League 1 despite pressure from the fans to sack him. 

6 minutes ago, Grant228 said:

Two whole busses for your biggest game in years? 

Wow. 

Said before it’s all relative in terms of home support to away support, we have a core 700-1000 home fans, so last weekend we took 300+ to Dundee which is a very good ratio, if we take similar numbers to dunfermline or Dundee on Monday night, again that is very good for us. 

Crowd w**k all you want, we have the support we have, we follow our club just as passionately as the biggest supported clubs in the country. 

If we do do the unimaginable and get promoted the seethe from Scottish football fans will be joyous, little Livi and little Hamilton in the top flight. 

35 minutes ago, andylivi1 said:

Said before it’s all relative in terms of home support to away support, we have a core 700-1000 home fans, so last weekend we took 300+ to Dundee which is a very good ratio, if we take similar numbers to dunfermline or Dundee on Monday night, again that is very good for us. 

Crowd w**k all you want, we have the support we have, we follow our club just as passionately as the biggest supported clubs in the country. 

If we do do the unimaginable and get promoted the seethe from Scottish football fans will be joyous, little Livi and little Hamilton in the top flight. 

I fully get that, the crowds of Livingston don't really concern me tbf but it's good to hear that they are increasing, my point was more that while your away crowds are perfectly fine, they're still comparatively low crowds to some of the teams that might fancy a bit of Hopkin. 

I was more confident a few weeks back but ending the season with 2 defeats playing in friendly mode isn't great for momentum going into the play offs. However we're injury free and have no suspension worries, so that was important too.

Canny wait to get started now, been a wee bit frustrating having to sit and wait this week while Utd and Pars played, bursting for us to get started.:bounce2