Livingston - all the threads merged

I wouldn't mind Todorov as he'd give us another big guy option. Smaller strikers being Anderson/Reilly and having Hamilton/Todorov I'd imagine is decent cover and rotation. Poplatnik in there somewhere too if he isn't away. 

Todorov can't really play CB as he was horrendous there, zero chance we'd play him there when it was exposed bad in the Championship.

1 hour ago, EdinburghLivi said:

That's probably that then, can't see us out paying Walsall but maybe back to back top 6 is giving us the opportunity to push the boat out alongside a smaller squad. Although at that age and output he'd basically be gold dust in the form of a signing

58 minutes ago, ATLIS said:

That's probably that then, can't see us out paying Walsall but maybe back to back top 6 is giving us the opportunity to push the boat out alongside a smaller squad. Although at that age and output he'd basically be gold dust in the form of a signing

He could potentially turn down the contract and move on a free.

I’ve all the time in the world for Todorov - a fantastic work ethic and attitude, which made up for a relative lack of talent in his time here to a degree, but unless he’s improved tenfold not sure he’s a Premiership player. Can’t be any worse than SKA. 

I’ve all the time in the world for Todorov - a fantastic work ethic and attitude, which made up for a relative lack of talent in his time here to a degree, but unless he’s improved tenfold not sure he’s a Premiership player. Can’t be any worse than SKA. 
Watching some of his highlights from this season he looks to have turned himself into a cracking finisher

19 minutes ago, Cptn Hooch said:
4 hours ago, Afro said:

Watching some of his highlights from this season he looks to have turned himself into a cracking finisher

Good stuff, would give us a plan B, and a more physical option too. Agree with all the comments about his defending though, was never great, more a bit of cover at the time (that was used far too often imo), but shouldn't even be considered in the top flight. He got shown right up in the Pars away game when Hoppy kept Gallagher on the bench because he was returning from suspension, and played Toddy in defence again, he was ripped apart in that game.

If Todorov is coming in I'd hope it's only to have someone who would literally play anywhere if asked to cover for injuries. I'm sure he'd bag a couple goals, but not sure he's good enough if we were actually looking at another top 6 finish.

If Todorov is coming in I'd hope it's only to have someone who would literally play anywhere if asked to cover for injuries. I'm sure he'd bag a couple goals, but not sure he's good enough if we were actually looking at another top 6 finish.
Martindales signing policy for the summer is to sign versatile players.
Toddy is someone I'd like to see back at the club personally. Can win balls in the air up front. Something we don't have at the moment.

2 hours ago, LogieLivi said:

Martindales signing policy for the summer is to sign versatile players.
Toddy is someone I'd like to see back at the club personally. Can win balls in the air up front. Something we don't have at the moment.

You would think James Penrice would also fit that bill then, being able at CM and LB. Was chat he’d signed a PCA but that seems to have cooled somewhat. 

Penrice is someone who had a good period at the club in the past, but since then has looked mediocre at league 1 level. There's no reason to believe that he would be able to handle the big step up in quality.

Toddy has shown himself to be a high quality championship striker. Wouldn't be my first choice, but a signing that makes a lot more sense than SKA ever did.

7 hours ago, thruthenight said:

Penrice is someone who had a good period at the club in the past, but since then has looked mediocre at league 1 level. There's no reason to believe that he would be able to handle the big step up in quality.

Toddy has shown himself to be a high quality championship striker. Wouldn't be my first choice, but a signing that makes a lot more sense than SKA ever did.

1 hour ago, LogieLivi said:

Penrice to be announced tomorrow on a 2 year + 1 additional.
Basically a swap deal for Tiffs.
No money changing hands despite compo normally being owed.

Would've been excited about this a few years back, but agree with thruthenight's post, he's regressed over the years or he'd have had a move up the leagues before now. Hopefully he's like Sibbald though, and will thrive given the opportunity to play at a higher level with us.

7 hours ago, thruthenight said:

It will depend on where he plays.

When he was on loan to you, Penrice played in midfield. He has spent most of his time at Firhill playing at left-back, initially as back-up to Callum Booth. 

He played under Archibald when we were sliding towards relegation from the Premiership and then the appalling Gary Caldwell.  

Under McCall Penrice's form slipped and Richard Foster was our first-choice left-back.  At the end of the season, he moved to midfield and his form improved.

1 hour ago, LogieLivi said:

Penrice to be announced tomorrow on a 2 year + 1 additional.
No money changing hands despite compo normally being owed.

That's an excellent deal for us. 😁

2 hours ago, LogieLivi said:

Reckon most Jags fans would be happy to lose Penrice if it meant getting Tiffoney back permanently. If Penrice can get himself nailed down in a position there's development there. He looked best playing at RM in a 5-0 win over Falkirk at the end of the season, played exceptionally well that night. He found it difficult to get into the team a lot this season, Foster was playing really well at LB, and he was unable to displace any of our central midfielders most of the time - I think wide-midfield on either side is probably his best position. Bar this season, he's been part of some really awful Thistle sides so a change of club might actually be quite good for him. 

2 hours ago, Bishop Briggs said:

When he was on loan to you, Penrice played in midfield. He has spent most of his time at Firhill playing at left-back, initially as back-up to Callum Booth. 

He played under Archibald when we were sliding towards relegation from the Premiership and then the appalling Gary Caldwell.  

Under McCall Penrice's form slipped and Richard Foster was our first-choice left-back.  At the end of the season, he moved to midfield and his form improved.

He played as LWB for us when we played 352. He was allowed to get up and down the wing as opposed to Caldwell telling him not to go past the halfway line ever (from what I've heard).

I reckon there's still a player in there, he's from here so he'd be back closer to his family as well. Lovely guy, have met him a few times so I'm delighted for him. Just need Martindale to get the boot up him and make him graft, this is his big chance to actually make it in football now.

Tiffoney isn't ready for Premiership football, and honestly not sure he'd ever make the grade by staying with us as Hamilton is the superior player as far as I can see, so he's already 4th or 5th choice. So getting a 'known' quantity in with Penrice is a good deal for us as well. 

In all honesty, that half season with Penrice at LWB, he looked cracking. He had a bit of everything but most of all had that 'Livi work rate', if he comes in and works hard there's no reason he can't push Longridge for a starting spot at LB. Just needs to knuckle down and work hard which he's shown he can do. I remember how gutted we were when he was recalled which spoke volumes about how good he was back then. 

Edited by ATLIS

4 minutes ago, ATLIS said:

He played as LWB for us when we played 352. He was allowed to get up and down the wing as opposed to Caldwell telling him not to go past the halfway line ever (from what I've heard).

I reckon there's still a player in there, he's from here so he'd be back closer to his family as well. Lovely guy, have met him a few times so I'm delighted for him. Just need Martindale to get the boot up him and make him graft, this is his big chance to actually make it in football now.

Tiffoney isn't ready for Premiership football, and honestly not sure he'd ever make the grade by staying with us as Hamilton is the superior player as far as I can see, so he's already 4th or 5th choice. So getting a 'known' quantity in with Penrice is a good deal for us as well. 

In all honesty, that half season with Penrice at LWB, he looked cracking. He had a bit of everything but most of all had that 'Livi work rate', if he comes in and works hard there's no reason he can't push Longridge for a starting spot at LB. Just needs to knuckle down and work hard which he's shown he can do. I remember how gutted we were when he was recalled which spoke volumes about how good he was back then. 

Thanks for the clarification. I had thought that Penrice had played left midfield for you. 

As JagsCG said above, the move is exactly what he needs. Two successive relegations and playing under Caldwell would have been very depressing for any player.

I honestly hope that James makes the most of this opportunity. His predecessor at Firhill, Callum Booth, was a Cup winner this year. Good luck to him!

6 minutes ago, Bishop Briggs said:

Thanks for the clarification. I had thought that Penrice had played left midfield for you. 

As JagsCG said above, the move is exactly what he needs. Two successive relegations and playing under Caldwell would have been very depressing for any player.

I honestly hope that James makes the most of this opportunity. His predecessor at Firhill, Callum Booth, was a Cup winner this year. Good luck to him!

Yeah it's maybe due to the weird system we had in place then. Could've been seen as LM or LWB depending on how we set up so you're right in most ways anyway. 

I think most Livi fans hold the same sentiment with Tiffoney, just needs a fresh move to make the most of his talents. Players in really similar situations going to clubs who can really make use of them. 

3 hours ago, Bishop Briggs said:

Personally I feel its an excellent deal all round but particularly for Tiffoney if he gets a regular starting berth.

1 hour ago, ATLIS said:

I seem to recall Penrice playing in a more attacking position. I remember the game against Falkirk where he seemed to rip them a new one time and again. In that game Longridge was playing left back.

https://livingstonfc.co.uk/falkirk-0-2-livingston/