Livingston - all the threads merged

Replacing Hopkin is only worthwhile of we're going to look outwith the club for a replacement. Ideally we'd be looking to a manager who is currently doing well at a lower level, i.e. Darren Young at Albion Rovers.

Idealism makes way for realism when we have to think about compensation however.

We'll end up with promoting from within, which leaves us with Neil Hastings or, in our never ending pursuit to emulate Dream Team, Martindale, or we end up looking to someone who isn't being picked up by another club, there's usually a reason they are unemployed.

I'm not denying that replacing Hopkin is possibly the right thing to do, but our track record in that department speaks for itself.

Replacing Hopkin is only worthwhile of we're going to look outwith the club for a replacement. Ideally we'd be looking to a manager who is currently doing well at a lower level, i.e. Darren Young at Albion Rovers.

Idealism makes way for realism when we have to think about compensation however.

We'll end up with promoting from within, which leaves us with Neil Hastings or, in our never ending pursuit to emulate Dream Team, Martindale, or we end up looking to someone who isn't being picked up by another club, there's usually a reason they are unemployed.

I'm not denying that replacing Hopkin is possibly the right thing to do, but our track record in that department speaks for itself.

Hopkin's contract is up at the end of the month so it'll simply be an end to his contract and no compensation would have to be paid.

I'm pretty sure Neil Hastings isn't at the club anymore either.

I have the awful feeling that Hopkin will be given next season as well but for me we need to bring someone in, not only to sort out the first team but to really take the club by the scruff of its neck, it needs to be a long term appointment though, we will need to build around youth and that's it, we as fans will need to have patience, it won't be a quick fix, we may go back before we go forward but it needs to be done.

Billy Reid would maybe be a good shout if interested.

Hopkin's contract is up at the end of the month so it'll simply be an end to his contract and no compensation would have to be paid.

I have the awful feeling that Hopkin will be given next season as well but for me we need to bring someone in, not only to sort out the first team but to really take the club by the scruff of its neck, it needs to be a long term appointment though, we will need to build around youth and that's it, we as fans will need to have patience, it won't be a quick fix, we may go back before we go forward but it needs to be done.

When I mentioned compensation, I meant paying it for an incoming manager.

To be honest, after having a season ticket for 14/15 when I moved back to West Lothian, I didn't go to a single game this season and I'd be surprised if I picked one up this year regardless of who comes in. I just have a feeling of total apathy towards the whole thing. It's not the performances that are the problem, it's the fact that any good work done on the pitch is almost immediately undone at board level.

Off the pitch, next season will be the exact same as the 21 that came before it.

On the pitch, who knows. We'll always have the youth approach to fall back on but if we don't get it right with a new appointment, that's all for nout.

Only 21 in the league though. Still a decent return to hit double figures each season, but he's hardly showing the potential to be a 20 goal a season striker smashing in better than a goal every two games. His goals to games ratio isn't as good as one in three in the league - decent, but nothing to suggest he's ever going to be anything more than a bog-standard player at this level. Hibs shouldn't be going near players of his standard.

Scored 8 in the last 3 months though and has been stuck in midfield out wide for a good few of them. Under a better manager and in a better team he'd get 15+ easy.

Neil Hastings is now at Hearts.

There's no way Martindale will sack Hopkin as that would mean a new manager coming in and accepting Martindale as his assistant manager. Since that's not going to happen, why would he sack him and thereby remove himself from, what must be , a fairytale job. Like Football Manager, in real life!

Martindale dreams of being the manager but has no qualifications, the required skills or experience. The only way he can do this is with a puppet in the managers role. No other proper manager will entertain this so don't be surprised to see Hopkins continue in the role.

Martindale dreams of being the manager but has no qualifications, the required skills or experience. The only way he can do this is with a puppet in the managers role. No other proper manager will entertain this so don't be surprised to see Hopkins continue in the role.

I was hearing from a good source today that's what's happening next year .... Hopkins will remain the puppet Edited by champsfan

I was hearing from a good source today that's what's happening next year .... Hopkins will remain the puppet

This would not surprise me in any way, shape or form.

I imagine such a move would see a lot of ST holders (whoever's left) wondering why the f**k they should cough up money.