Livingston - all the threads merged

4 minutes ago, LogieLivi said:

Pretty much this.
I think keeping Carrick for next season would be a great option. Pretty much injury free since his wrist/arm break earlier in the season and was chipping in with some good performances and goals before being unfairly shipped out in place of Toderov who I think doesn't offer any more than Carrick.
2 new goalkeepers are required an experienced and a young guy to work with each other would be a great way of working it. I'd keep the whole squad minus Lithgow personally.

Was trying to think of Goalkeepers that would come in, if Kelly was released by Rangers I wouldn't be against giving him another go next season, despite his occasional brain fart, if not how about Neil Alexander ? ok so he's 39 now but could go another season, would all depend on him and his wage demands though but there is an emotional pull to Livi I'm sure, he spent a good couple seasons here in his younger days. 

Was trying to think of Goalkeepers that would come in, if Kelly was released by Rangers I wouldn't be against giving him another go next season, despite his occasional brain fart, if not how about Neil Alexander ? ok so he's 39 now but could go another season, would all depend on him and his wage demands though but there is an emotional pull to Livi I'm sure, he spent a good couple seasons here in his younger days. 

Alexander and Kelly would be fantastic imo. Think we are more likely to get someone like McGurn from Cowden who was highly rated by the Raith support. Maybe even Airdrie keeper Ferguson? Really liked the look of Hurst at EF this season too but there may be a bit of bad blood with the way he was released by us the first time.

34 minutes ago, LogieLivi said:

Alexander and Kelly would be fantastic imo. Think we are more likely to get someone like McGurn from Cowden who was highly rated by the Raith support. Maybe even Airdrie keeper Ferguson? Really liked the look of Hurst at EF this season too but there may be a bit of bad blood with the way he was released by us the first time.

I wasn't meaning both, would be one of the other, plus a young goalkeeper as back up.

Wouldnt like the Airdrie keeper, going by some of the comments from Airdrie fans they don't rate him at this level. 

Was having a look at the squad myself a few days ago and I'm no too far away from Andy's choices.

The goalkeeping situation is the most worrying IMO; I'm not Kelly's biggest fan but regardless, he will be away at the end of the season meaning we absolutely have to get someone in. There's no way on Earth we can go into the Championship with Maley between the sticks (although nothing would surprise me with Livingston). In an ideal world, an experienced goalkeeper like Alexander could be coming in and doing coaching at the same time. Sadly though, Connor Quinn moved to pastures new and by all accounts is standing out in a poor Clyde team. With that in mind, we don't have anybody really coming through so I'm not sure someone like Alexander could be tempted here as a player alone without some coaching experience being available. I wouldn't be averse to Kelly coming here permanently, as it would hopefully net the club some money in long-term.

The defence also has the potential to be a worry. The RB spot is one we haven't filled for several seasons now, and I'd say it's our first priority to get someone in there. Halkett and latterly Crighton have done a job there but the Championship will be a different kettle of fish. Halkett could probably cope there and do reasonably well, but any attacking presence we have down the right is totally diminished with either of them playing there. Halkett should be the priority in the back four to be re-signed; I'm laissez-faire on Gallagher's long-term future as he seems to fancy a move down South but he is obviously Championship quality. Neill seems to be doing not bad at Stranraer and he has age on his side, plus Hopkin seems to like him. I'd imagine Halkett, Neill, Crighton and Longridge will all be staying, with Gallagher and (hopefully) Lithgow departing. Definitely needing a RB and a utility man for both full-back positions. We all remember what happened when Longridge got injured.

We're pretty well stacked in midfield; having Pittman, Byrne, Sinclair and Millar is overkill at the moment, I imagine one or two will be moved on when Keaghan Jacobs and Mikey Miller return to full fitness. Personally, I know he's only in the door and it's unlikely, but it's Millar that has to go for me. Not really done anything of note so far and I doubt he's kicking about with us for minimum wage. Would be delighted to see the latter pair integrated back in the squad and hopefully hitting the ground running for next season. I know Morton fans had some doubt over Miller's suitability for the Championship, but he was very good for us before he got injured and he at least deserves a chance. It'd be silly to get rid of either Cadden or Mullin, I'd like to see another wide player who can play both flanks come in but it's not totally necessary. And, more games for Jack Ogilvie would not go amiss; better player than Knox IMO and I'm a bit mystified how he's flew under the radar.

Danny Mullen is obviously well on his way to completing his transformation into a complete beast at this level, so would be fine with him leading the line next season. As good as Buchanan has been, I don't think he's quality enough for starting in the Championship, but for all the flak he somehow takes from some quarters, he knows where the goal is and would be a cracking option off the bench. IMO De Vita should not be marooned out on the left wing; even if the player says it's his best position, he is obviously one of the most technically talented players in the squad, I would have him as a second striker or behind a front two every day of the week. I would like to keep Carrick as he will have a point to prove, and looked like he was coming into a game before being punted to Cowden. Todorov looks like a very early version of Shagz White but I think we can probably find better, nay, we need to find better. Can't have Mullen burdening the whole pressure of scoring goals in the main, we'll be down at Christmas otherwise.

Tl;dr: we need two new 'keepers, a RB, utility man in defence, a spare winger and a new striker. Although I have to admit I'm still unsure DH is the man to take the group forward, that's not to say he's not done an alright job this season.

Still not made my mind up on Carrick but wouldn't be averse to giving him a chance to see what he could do in the Championship. Still think we need a big player like Todorov for a plan B though, Carrick, Mullen and Buchanan are all similar. Carrick looked like he could feed off the likes of Todorov, got himself in good positions to poach a goal in the few games I saw him. So basically all 4 of them would do next season if we could get the big fella back again, playing at a higher level than League One might be a draw for him if he still isn't getting a game for Hearts. Imo though Buchanan is still the main man, Mullen isn't quite there yet as the goal table shows.

There are a few decent keepers in lower league teams that have done really well against us, we could pinch one of them, the East Fife keeper looked good, certainly stopped us from scoring and was comfortable dealing with pass backs.

Defence is not too bad, for CB's and Longridge at LB, but we def need a proper RB, as has been mentioned, it has been a position we've been weak in for years, and have been putting players from other positions in there season after season. About time we actually got someone in who actually plays RB, and is decent playing there. Would be great if Gallagher and Halkett were our CB pairing, but can't see it, Crighton or Neill may partner Halkett, but we really need to get him signed up, for me he is a PoTY contender, along with Pittman and Buchanan.

Midfield i'd like Keaghan to stay on, kinda owes us one after not playing due to injury this season, think that's 2 or 3 injuries he's had recently though so may not stay injury free all season. I thought Millar was coming to us from QoS with a view of getting regular games and a safe bet for promotion so he'd be back playing in the Championship next season, not really bothered either way though, he'd do ok if he is still with us next season. As would Rafa, he gets a lot of criticism but if you look back to when he signed he's been influential in a few of our wins and scored a couple of goals too, i'd like to see him link up with the strikers in CM though and not on the wing, he's got the technical ability and eye for a pass. Prob only need one of them to stay though, both do the same job and Pittman is the main player for that position so only need one of them.

Mullin and Cadden are fine on the wings, but another winger wouldn't go amiss, just to give them competition and cover for injuries, maybe even stick Keaghan on the wing, that's where he originally played for us, certainly would be better than Rafa playing there.

Miller and Byrne are also fine in defensive midfield, don't think we need any more signed there.

Looks like a couple of the younger players are ready to break through too, heard good things about Sampson and Ogilvie, and on the couple of occasions I've seen Ogilvie play as a sub he looked comfortable and assured.

Rumour has it it's a takeover, but as I say that's just a rumour. 

Ive been told that for a change the meeting has been called and there is going to be good positive news coming out the club for a change rather than bad news that I'm sure most thought when they saw the announcement. 

Only time will tell though. 

I'd instantly have to question the motive and sanity of anyone looking to takeover a football club. At this level you either do it purely because your love for a team blinds your rational thought, or you're looking to make a gain from it.

Given our sketchy past I'll plump for the latter more than likely being the case here.

10 minutes ago, Afro said:

I'd instantly have to question the motive and sanity of anyone looking to takeover a football club. At this level you either do it purely because your love for a team blinds your rational thought, or you're looking to make a gain from it.

Given our sketchy past I'll plump for the latter more than likely being the case here.

Apparantly its someone local with the club at heart, although we've been told that before mind you.

Again at this stage it's all just rumours and hear say but I'm sure your initial reaction like most was, aww here we go again, so this is a lot more positive than that, let's see what happens. 

Apparantly its someone local with the club at heart, although we've been told that before mind you.
Again at this stage it's all just rumours and hear say but I'm sure your initial reaction like most was, aww here we go again, so this is a lot more positive than that, let's see what happens. 

More than happy to give someone the benefit of the doubt, but we have been here before very recently after all.

The only way, realistically, for this to work is for a full clear-out from top to bottom. I can appreciate that there are members on this Junior football-esque committee who have just about made the numbers work, but when your assistant manager is also the commercial director that points to greater problems with how the infrastructure of the club is, and how it can be developed.

I'm hoping for a clean break with some great emphasis on moving us out of Almondvale, engaging with a reinvigorated supporters trust and having some transparency, finally, between the club and fans. But we all know how the story goes.

Maybe mystic Andy is the new owner after winning on the Lotto yesterday.

March was a good month for us with two midweek games crammed in along with 4 Saturday games. 4 wins, 1 draw and 1 defeat getting us 13 points from a possible 18, just hope Hoppy doesn't win the MoTM for March and put a jinx on us before we play Alloa in a fortnight.

On 02/03/2017 at 17:57, LIVIFOREVER said:

Going be a busy month for us with the fixture pile up from our 2 postponed games being scheduled in March.

4th Queen's Park A

7th Albion Rovers H

11th East Fife H

18th Stranraer A

21st Stenhousemuir H

25th Airdrie H

Could go a long way to seeing if we're going to win the league after these games ae played. Four home games though, no guarantee our pitch stand up to the winter weather and will get them all played.

On 02/03/2017 at 20:49, andylivi1 said:

4 wins, a draw and a defeat. 

Be happy with that, and would see us almost there I think. 

On 22/03/2017 at 14:59, Devilmaycare said:

Just a win over Airdrie to go, I reckon you should get your Lotto numbers on this Saturday.:thumsup2

On 22/03/2017 at 15:12, andylivi1 said:

I'll let you know how I get on, or not depends if I win or not :lol:

Glad to get something right for a change, an excellent return from those 6 tough games.

I'm still here though, I didn't win the Euro millions so unfortunately I'm not the new owner :lol:

5 hours ago, Afro said:

More than happy to give someone the benefit of the doubt, but we have been here before very recently after all.

The only way, realistically, for this to work is for a full clear-out from top to bottom. I can appreciate that there are members on this Junior football-esque committee who have just about made the numbers work, but when your assistant manager is also the commercial director that points to greater problems with how the infrastructure of the club is, and how it can be developed.

I'm hoping for a clean break with some great emphasis on moving us out of Almondvale, engaging with a reinvigorated supporters trust and having some transparency, finally, between the club and fans. But we all know how the story goes.

Aww completely, any take over (especially here at Livi) will make the fans suspicious especially with our past of having mad men at the helm, but let's not get too far ahead, it may not be a takeover at all, but early indications are this is what it may be. 

Im not going to lie, I've spoken to David Martindale a few times and he genuinely comes across really well, extremely passionate and as if he knows what he's doing, I'm not saying it's right what's going on but I do feel that if there was transparency there between fans and club then it wouldn't be as big an issue for most. 

Last bit is bang on, we have to look at every possibility to get out of Almondvale, as you say talk to the supporters trust again and get them more involved in the running of the club from the top, and be open with the fans.

We need a clear out top to bottome with Rankine, et, al (which includes Martindale) or else for many it will just be seen as moving the spots around. It worries me that they call shareholders who might come out the cupboard. 

Is Ged Nixon still a shareholder? 

Edited by Livithegreat

It's coming to that time of the season where we have to pick our poty and ypoty, tough choice this year. 

Ive done a wee poll on twitter @Andrewandylivi if you got twitter go vote. 

I selected Liam Buchanan, Craig Halkett, Scott Pittman and Shaun Byrne as my 4 nominees for poty, do you agree ? Who would you choose ? 

As for ypoty, I went for Craig Halkett, Nicky Cadden, Jackson Longridge, Danny Mullen, again are those the correct nominees ? Who would you choose ? 

My selections would probably be Liam Buchanan for poty and Craig Halkett for ypoty. 

Not got twitter but stuck a thread up on the Livi Room forum and went for Liam Buchanan. Pittman was a close 2nd but with Buchanan getting the most goals scored in a season record (and still has 5 games left to score more goals) it has to be him.

Out of those players you've listed for young player i'd give it to Halkett, he's been immense since switching from RB to CB, has to be playing there next season and get a proper RB signed.