Quick Question Thread

On 1/1/2017 at 14:14, G_Man1985 said:

Couple of questions.

Hogmanay up at Stonehaven, do you need a ticket to see the fireballs? Also is there any other events that happen up there?

Were you not a wee bit late asking that question? Or were you asking for next year?

34 minutes ago, pandarilla said:

Any good games for wee plastic toy soldiers?

I got them for my kids (2 and 4) and other than an early fannying about I realised I don't know any games for these wee b*****ds (that's the soldiers not the kids).

I used to have loads of those little soldiers although I was a bit older at the time. I used to spend hours also making battlefields on wooden boards using chicken wire and covering it up with papier-mâché. Then loads more hours was spent painting it all. Different era I suppose but it kept me occupied for ages as a kid.

I used to have loads of those little soldiers although I was a bit older at the time. I used to spend hours also making battlefields on wooden boards using chicken wire and covering it up with papier-mâché. Then loads more hours was spent painting it all. Different era I suppose but it kept me occupied for ages as a kid.

Was this the 1950s?

Anyone ever hired a car in the US? Best to book in advance or just take what you can get when you get there? Also, any recommendations for hire car companies? I'm heading to Houston in a few weeks and was planning on getting a Camaro or similar for a week and taking a run to New Orleans for a couple of days.

1 hour ago, Spain said:

Anyone ever hired a car in the US? Best to book in advance or just take what you can get when you get there? Also, any recommendations for hire car companies? I'm heading to Houston in a few weeks and was planning on getting a Camaro or similar for a week and taking a run to New Orleans for a couple of days.

Good luck.

th?&id=OIP.M810d41c74124386faccad21676ca83c1o0&w=300&h=225&c=0&pid=1.9&rs=0&p=0&r=0

Haven't hired a car in the States but it's always cheaper to book it in advance in my experience. Make sure you print the T@C's etc as they'll likely try to stiff you for extras when you arrive.

7 hours ago, Spain said:

I've found that Budget are probably the cheapest.
I would definitely book online in advance. It will be cheaper than walking up when you arrive.
Booking online allows you to take off all the added on shite like extra insurance, and you can choose the type of car you want rather than being at their mercy and getting landed with "whatever is available" which could be a car a lot more expensive than what you wanted to pay.
I'd also recommend not picking up at the airport if possible. Rentals at airports are always more.
And fill the tank up before you return it. Rental companies can charge you about $9 a gallon for petrol as opposed to $2 odd.

In my (one) experience, I'd say book the standard scooby doo wagon in advance based on the price and then pay for an upgrade for something decent when you get there. Rental staff seem delighted, think they must on some sort of commission for upgrades. Potentially a bit of pot luck but we got a massive Infiniti 4x4 for next to naff all. Much better than some ratty old Chrysler.

Speaking of rental cars, has anyone used these rental cars that you just swipe a card on and go with? Seem to be cropping up in the most random of places where tourists wouldn't venture so don't see much use for them?