Quick Question Thread

I just bought a packet of those Animal Cracker biscuit type things. Anyway, it said on the box "do not eat if the seal is broken".

The seal wasn't broken but the lion was, can I still eat them?

Yes, particularly the lion. As he's broken, the calories will all have leaked out, so they're actually good for you.

What is the difference between MBE's, OBE's and CBE's? (I Know that it's 'Member of', 'Officer of' and Commander/Commissioner(?) of' but what is their differences/criteria etc?

I don't think there really is a hard and fast criteria. Just that they are "better" in ascending order.

MBEs are typically given to a lot of non-famous people who make important contributions. For example, there's someone at my dad's church who got an MBE for her contribution towards overhauling the Children's Hospital in Aberdeen.

Then again, you also seem to get one for winning a couple of games of cricket or getting to the Quarter Finals of a World Cup, so meh.

when a cousin or some other relation is 'once removed', what does it mean?

Once removed means you have to go one place back down the tree again to find them.

Once removed means it's your cousin's child.

Edited by Überschwänglichen

when a cousin or some other relation is 'once removed', what does it mean?

Removed means the person is from a different generation, for example a first cousin once removed is your first cousin's son or daughter, twice removed means their grandson or granddaughter etc.

Been a while since my student days of knowing every cheap drink in every pub in Glasgow, so where has decent drinks on decent promos on a Tuesday in Glasgow? Only a 4-11pm session so no need for club recommendations.

If you can name the price and the brand of lager that is on offer you get an extra cola cube.

Been a while since my student days of knowing every cheap drink in every pub in Glasgow, so where has decent drinks on decent promos on a Tuesday in Glasgow? Only a 4-11pm session so no need for club recommendations.

If you can name the price and the brand of lager that is on offer you get an extra cola cube.

Nico's on Sauciehall Street, think all drinks are either 1.50 or 2.

Trying to get Virgin Media installed, the guy is coming tomorrow, wants a proof of address, and £25 to put my first bill in credit. Has anyone dealt with Virgin, is this common practise?

Yeah, if it's just a guy that's coming out to sign you up. He'll not be taking cash off you, just expecting you to have a debit/credit card to pay it. My advice to you, however, is that Virgin Media are a bunch of wanks.

Yeah, if it's just a guy that's coming out to sign you up. He'll not be taking cash off you, just expecting you to have a debit/credit card to pay it. My advice to you, however, is that Virgin Media are a bunch of wanks.

Yeah, it does seem that way, but when we bought the flat, it was written into the contract that we can't put a sky dish up, so it's our only real option. The impression the guy gave on the phone was that he wanted paid either by card/cash. Just seemed a bit odd to me.

Trying to remember what you call the game you used to play at school where you throw a coin at the wall and the closest scoops the cash?

Pitchie.

Pitch n' Toss.

Instead of coins we used immigrants.

Chip and toss. Chippie.

"Jingies" as it was known here.

We called it Keeley.

Pap.

I'm with Milievsky, it's called Jingies. Toss your coins against the wall, and the closest gets to call heads or tails first

I played in primary school for 10p and 20p, then it went out of fashion and came back again in 3rd year, where about 15 of us would all pile in and play a £1 game.