Quick Question Thread

what is the factorisation of x3 + 27?

Sum/Difference of Cubes Equation is

a3 +/- b3 = ( a +/- b ) ( a2 -/+ ab + b2 )

so

= (x+3) (x2 - 3x + 9)

I think.

Edit: beaten to it by bullywee

Edit 2: no, he's got it wrong. He's got his signs mixed up and the answer for the subtraction of cubes.

Edited by Ad Lib

That wee formula is pretty helpful. The terrible thing is, this is uni 'homework'. My degree is Mathematics. Could be long few years...

Note that bullywee's answer is actually for x3 MINUS 27. As you can see from the formula he has his signs the wrong way around.

Sum/Difference of Cubes Equation is

a3 +/- b3 = ( a +/- b ) ( a2 -/+ ab + b2 )

so

= (x+3) (x2 - 3x + 9)

I think.

Edit: beaten to it by bullywee

Edit 2: no, he's got it wrong. He's got his signs mixed up and the answer for the subtraction of cubes.

This brings back memories. I would have been able to do this in my sleep in 5th year, now i had a slight inclination but wasnt really sure. How time flies.

Good nightclubs in Glasgow? Staying over for Spain game next week looking for somewhere decent for a Tuesday night.

Depends what you're into. Firewater is like a bar/club which had quite cheap drinks on a Tuesday. Cathouse is more rocky. O'Couture ain't too bad either.

Infact: O'Couture on a Tuesdays is also a rock/alternative night. Jagerbombs are like 1.50 so most other drinks will be like 1/1.50 aswell

Edited by forehead7

Why does car insurance go up if you have never claimed?

My father in law has never claimed on his policy,He has not changed his car,Yet his insurance has went up £50 to £149 :huh:

Keithgy you know the answer to this. We insurance folk are a bunch of robbing b*****ds.

Seriously, unfortunately it is not only your own driving record which matters, it is the general performance of a motor account which influences a companies pricing.

They may have experienced issues with their entire book and need to carry rate. Claims inflation and the general 'have you had an accident then call us' mentality we seem to be adopting these days leads to more frequent and expensive claims.

That being said a 50% increase in premium seems pretty excessive but you have to admit £99 in the first place was bloody cheap!!!

Went to JJB last night for the shits, and seen everything was 20% off so procured the new Scotland away top, only getting home to find out that already half of the number on the front had peeled aff.

Am I going to have to kick up a fuss in the shop today, or should they fix it no bother?