Quick Question Thread

34 minutes ago, Grant228 said:

Coming to that time of the year where the wife is asking about Christmas decorations, but frankly I've no idea where we're going to plug them in, at the back of the house there was a black box that I presumed held a plug socket but upon further inspection there's this. 

It looks like the power cables from a plug, but I'm not sure if it's feasible, or at all recommended to try wire one into it.

IMG_20201109_113439.thumb.jpg.b54469647976d86c5f9e8eb25bcabcb8.jpg

Give it a bash. Electricity, as we know, is all trial and error.

50 minutes ago, Grant228 said:

Coming to that time of the year where the wife is asking about Christmas decorations, but frankly I've no idea where we're going to plug them in, at the back of the house there was a black box that I presumed held a plug socket but upon further inspection there's this. 

It looks like the power cables from a plug, but I'm not sure if it's feasible, or at all recommended to try wire one into it.

Are you renting from Grimbo? 

52 minutes ago, Grant228 said:

Cut the blue first, followed by the black.

Or is it the the way round? Can never remember.

29 minutes ago, Sergeant Wilson said:

Give it a bash. Electricity, as we know, is all trial and error.

13 minutes ago, Mr. Alli said:

Are you renting from Grimbo? 

11 minutes ago, Melanius Mullarkey said:

Cut the blue first, followed by the black.

Or is it the the way round? Can never remember.

Pile of unhelpful b*****ds 😂 

Might just cancel Christmas, most logical thing to do. 

What is it powering just now?

1 minute ago, Empty It said:
1 hour ago, Grant228 said:

I have no idea, comes out the house, goes into the ground, looks like on the inside it lines up with an interior socket. 

I have no idea, comes out the house, goes into the ground, looks like on the inside it lines up with an interior socket. 
I'd be more worried about what that armour is powering, if it is coming off a socket inside you should be fine to add a socket, change that black plastic box though or put blanks in the massive holes in the top of it.

1 hour ago, Empty It said:
2 hours ago, Grant228 said:

His neighbours tumble drier.

Any recommendations for making good hot dogs?

I'm not meant to eat food due to Crohn's disease and getting fed through a drip so what i do is not eat through the week, then plan whatever i really fancy at the weekend. I've just enjoyed some lovely lamb cutlets...and now I'm thinking about next weekend.

My missus just gets the cheap tinned-muck hot dogs. I fucking despise them. There's absolutely no texture to them, it's just mush.

I'm seeing a website called the sausage man. Looks expensive but I'm happy to splash out to get good quality dogs and buns.

The website is selling both beef and pork hot dogs, and that's thrown me. I thought they were essentially the shitey bits of a pig - but is it usually beef that's used?

I need p&b's expertise here - as I'm going all in here.
If supermarket id go for Herta jumbo frankfurters come in vac pac, fry though rather than boil and you get the crunch biting through the casing, some American mustard ketchup and some fried onions and you be onto a winner

4 hours ago, Empty It said:
5 hours ago, Grant228 said:

Plugged into a lamppost imo.

17 hours ago, Grant228 said:

Probably it had an expensive waterproof outside socket and the previous owner removed it when they moved - cheap cnts!

17 hours ago, Grant228 said:

16 hours ago, Empty It said:
16 hours ago, Grant228 said:

I'd be more worried about what that armour is powering, if it is coming off a socket inside you should be fine to add a socket, change that black plastic box though or put blanks in the massive holes in the top of it.

Really? Is the socket part of a ring? Whats the earth loop impedance reading of that ring? Is the reading OK? Is the circuit rcd protected? You know it has to be? You know if its not and someone touched that they could die? Or if whatever was or is going to be connected developed a fault it could possibly become live?

OP pay a qualified electrician to hardwire your lights. Don't take uncertified electrical advice online.

Really? Is the socket part of a ring? Whats the earth loop impedance reading of that ring? Is the reading OK? Is the circuit rcd protected? You know it has to be? You know if its not and someone touched that they could die? Or if whatever was or is going to be connected developed a fault it could possibly become live?

OP pay a qualified electrician to hardwire your lights. Don't take uncertified electrical advice online.

So if you pay a spark to spur a socket off the ring he's going to a Zs on the whole circuit and tell you to f**k off if you have an older board of which an RCD isn't fitted? Don't think so.

ETA good luck fitting an RCD on an older circuit without it constantly tripping, RCDs are for additional protection and if the OP was worried about it he should wire his lights onto an RCD plug which gives the same protection without being told he has to rewire his house.

57 minutes ago, Empty It said:

So if you pay a spark to spur a socket off the ring he's going to a Zs on the whole circuit and tell you to f**k off if you have an older board of which an RCD isn't fitted? Don't think so.

ETA good luck fitting an RCD on an older circuit without it constantly tripping, RCDs are for additional protection and if the OP was worried about it he should wire his lights onto an RCD plug which gives the same protection without being told he has to rewire his house.

Firstly you didn't know it was a ring, you weren't interested. You just said go ahead.

Yes an electrician would take a zs reading for the circuit. And if it was unsafe, not proceed. Or offer an alternative.

Secondly you can easily fit an rcd on an old circuit, or change an old board to an rcd board. You have to test the circuits before hand to find any potential issues tho.

3rdly you mentioned nothing of an rcd, which is a legal requirement. Now you mention an rcd plug. An rcd plug is fused at 13 amp, where the lights hes talking about would need to be fused at 6. So again the would be incorrectly supplied.

Your clearly not an electrician mate, so give it a rest. Your advice could injure or kill someone.

Firstly you didn't know it was a ring, you weren't interested. You just said go ahead.
Yes an electrician would take a zs reading for the circuit. And if it was unsafe, not proceed. Or offer an alternative.
Secondly you can easily fit an rcd on an old circuit, or change an old board to an rcd board. You have to test the circuits before hand to find any potential issues tho.
3rdly you mentioned nothing of an rcd, which is a legal requirement. Now you mention an rcd plug. An rcd plug is fused at 13 amp, where the lights hes talking about would need to be fused at 6. So again the would be incorrectly supplied.
Your clearly not an electrician mate, so give it a rest. Your advice could injure or kill someone.

Strictly speaking you're 100% correct, all power sockets should be powered from an RCD and a Zs should be done at any alterations to the circuit so fair enough.

I am a spark but only work on 3 phase.