Quick Question Thread

3 hours ago, Granny Danger said:

I’m looking to employ someone early next year.  Other than the Job Centre can anyone recommend any decent recruitment agencies.  It’s been ages since we brought in a new employee and recruitment ‘mechanisms’ seem to have moved on a pace.

What would it be doing ? Send a pm as eh ken a few people looking for jobs

3 minutes ago, just me 2 said:
7 minutes ago, Bairnardo said:
Needs to be plugged into the wall.

Don't know if your being serious but its plugged into the wall and I've tried an iPhone charger and samsung plus I've tried a couple of different cables.

I take it you’ve connected it to the WiFi wherever you are?

3 minutes ago, just me 2 said:
7 minutes ago, Bairnardo said:
Needs to be plugged into the wall.

Don't know if your being serious but its plugged into the wall and I've tried an iPhone charger and samsung plus I've tried a couple of different cables.

You said you powered it from the tv.

3 hours ago, Granny Danger said:

I’m looking to employ someone early next year.  Other than the Job Centre can anyone recommend any decent recruitment agencies.  It’s been ages since we brought in a new employee and recruitment ‘mechanisms’ seem to have moved on a pace.

That D.A.F.C lad is forever talking about getting a new job

3 hours ago, DiegoDiego said:

Not that I'm going to do anything about this rather than let them know I'm somewhat disgruntled, but...

I've been off work with covid (no symptoms, finished isolation today) and just got my pay slip this afternoon. I'm paid hourly and on a zero hour contract. My pay for the last fortnight consists of the few hours I did isolating, some furlough money and some holiday pay.

I didn't request and holiday and they didn't inform me about furlough. In fact, they haven't contacted me at all since my last shift.

Finally here's my quick questions: do you have to inform employees before putting them on furlough, and can an employer just use up your holiday entitlement without you requesting holiday?

I'm not actually that bothered about how things have turned out (though it does amount to about half my usual pay) but I am rather ticked off that they communicated none of this to me.

At the place I work, all the peons had to use a couple of weeks' holidays during furlough. Either you were asked for permission, were flat-out told it was happening so tough shit, or didn't find out about it until your payslip arrived. Knowing the bosses, I'd imagine they got bored calling everyone and gave up after a while.

I was one of the ones who was asked for permission. Ooh, special.

45 minutes ago, just me 2 said:

Any body know anything about fire sticks. Mines works fine in the house powering from the tv but I'm in england working and took it with me to watch the football on Thursday.
When I switch it on it comes up with the amazon logo then just goes blank, I've changed the cable and plug.
Do firesticks even work in England??

As per previous comments, it sounds like a Wi-Fi connection issue. How long have you left it at the blank screen before getting pissed off and rebooting it? 

19 hours ago, pandarilla said:

Thank you, gents.

But i went ahead and placed a ridiculously expensive order with the sausage man (25 quid for 5 hot dogs, including buns and fancy German mustard).

The website says to boil them, the way the yanks do (at least the ny street vendors). I usually fry them but supposedly this dries them out as they burst. I might do a par boil and then throw them in a hot pan for a minute at the end.

On 10/11/2020 at 15:58, Granny Danger said:

Yes, I have a family member and a couple of mates who work as recruitment consultants and use agencies for staff myself. Each operate in different types of business though so who I’d recommend would likely depend on what kind of work you’re looking for staff in.

I never thought I'd see the words job centre and decent recruitment agencies in the same sentence.

Personally, I would avoid using the job centre at all costs.

Do you need an agency? There are so many jobsites out there it might be better just doing it yourself

1 hour ago, Mr X said:

I never thought I'd see the words job centre and decent recruitment agencies in the same sentence.

Personally, I would avoid using the job centre at all costs.

Do you need an agency? There are so many jobsites out there it might be better just doing it yourself

Yeah I’m beginning to think so, since posting this I have spoken to a couple of larger employers and got some useful advice.

It must be about fifteen years since I last recruited someone and the whole landscape has changed since then.