Quick Question Thread

One for Gaz or someone else that knows this kinda stuff…

I’m on a bit of a health kick just now in terms of my diet, I’m looking to lose about half a stone that I put on in the last month through being on holiday then immediately injuring myself when I came back and not being able to hit the gym.

Normally when I do this sort of thing I just cut out junk / booze / takeaways, which I’m doing anyway as my diet’s normally fine Sun-Thu and I just go tits at the weekend, but I’m also looking at it from a more scientific angle this time.

I’ve had a look at BMR calculators and worked mine out at 1748 cals per day- what I’m concerned about is going into starvation mode if I consume less than this. Would I be right in assuming that if I consume (roughly, cos it’s nigh on impossible to keep track of exact amounts) 2300 but expend 600 through gym work and / or just general walking about etc. then that would also send me into starvation mode and anything I eat would be stored as fat? I.e. is the “net” figure of consumption or the “gross” one more important?

I’m doing a mixture of weights and cardio 4/5 times a week this month, each session lasting about 60-75 minutes so it should be quite intense.

If anyone could answer this physics question for me I'd really appreaciate it. :)

Doctors use radioactive technetium to investigate different parts of the human body. A solution of technetium is injected into the body and a gamma camera is used to detect radiation emmited.

The half-life of techneitum is 6 hours.

What is meant by the "term-half"? I know this answer, the half-life is the time taken for the activity of a source to fall by one half

The table below indicates the minimum activity of the technetium solutions which are used to investigate various parts of the body.

Parts of the body to be investigated Minimum activity of solution (MBq)

Brain 800

Lungs 80

Liver 200

Thyroid 40

A solution is made up with 800 MBq of technetium at 8am.

What is the latest possible time that the solution could be used for investigating a patient's liver?

Any help would be great. I feel like I'm nearly there but I just can't work it out. <_<

*My table hasn't really worked and I can't fix it but the numbers are the minimum activity of the solution.

Edited by Sooky

Guest The Phoenix

If anyone could answer this physics question for me I'd really appreaciate it. :)

Doctors use radioactive technetium to investigate different parts of the human body. A solution of technetium is injected into the body and a gamma camera is used to detect radiation emmited.

What is meant by the "term-half"? I know this answer, the half-life is the time taken for the activity of a source to fall by one half

The table below indicates the minimum activity of the technetium solutions which are used to investigate various parts of the body.

Brain 800

Lungs 80

Liver 200

Thyroid 40

What is the latest possible time that the solution could be used for investigating a patient's liver?

Any help would be great. I feel like I'm nearly there but I just can't work it out. <_<

*My table hasn't really worked and I can't fix it but the numbers are the minimum activity of the solution.

:o

FFS Sooky, this is the Quick Question Thread.

:o

FFS Sooky, this is the Quick Question Thread.

:lol:

I know, but I didn't want to start a new topic and there was really no where else to put it.

EDIT: Got an answer for me? :P

Edited by Sooky

Brain 800

Lungs 80

Liver 200

Thyroid 40

Okay, let me see if I've got this right. You have a solution made up of 800 MBq and the half-life is 6 hours. And to investigate a liver there has to be at least 200 MBq.

Assuming I've got that correct (forgive me for not being familiar with the physics terms, but it is just a maths question really) the answer is 12 hours. After six hours, there will be 400 MBq. After another six hours, there will be 200 MBq. Any time longer than this and it's not useable as there will be less than 200 MBq.

That's just by inspection, but the answer is easily solved by logarithms. Do you need the logarithmic solution?

Okay, let me see if I've got this right. You have a solution made up of 800 MBq and the half-life is 6 hours. And to investigate a liver there has to be at least 200 MBq.

Assuming I've got that correct (forgive me for not being familiar with the physics terms, but it is just a maths question really) the answer is 12 hours. After six hours, there will be 400 MBq. After another six hours, there will be 200 MBq. Any time longer than this and it's not useable as there will be less than 200 MBq.

That's just by inspection, but the answer is easily solved by logarithms. Do you need the logarithmic solution?

No that should do. Thanks very much. :D

Trains from Edinburgh to Stranraer. What kind of price am I looking at? I'm guessing there isn't anything direct...

Edinburgh to Glasgow Queen Street.

Walk from QS to Central.

Train from Central to Stranraer sometimes you may need to change at Ayr or suchlike depending on your time of travel.

Cant remember the price but circa 30 /40 bucks i would have though.

Edinburgh to Glasgow Queen Street.

Walk from QS to Central.

Train from Central to Stranraer sometimes you may need to change at Ayr or suchlike depending on your time of travel.

Cant remember the price but circa 30 /40 bucks i would have though.

Cheers man, much appreciated. Flight gets into Edinburgh at 20.15.

Cheers man, much appreciated. Flight gets into Edinburgh at 20.15.

I dont know the timetable offhand and i cant look it up the now but id be very surprised if there was a train to Stranraer fitting in with this. By the time you land, get off the plane, get your bags and then use the shitty travel into Edinburgh from the Airport you are looking at the 21.30 train to Glasgow and thats being generous. The service to Stranraer isnt great.

I dont know the timetable offhand and i cant look it up the now but id be very surprised if there was a train to Stranraer fitting in with this. By the time you land, get off the plane, get your bags and then use the shitty travel into Edinburgh from the Airport you are looking at the 21.30 train to Glasgow and thats being generous. The service to Stranraer isnt great.

Bells. For some reason I can't get on the Citylink website, but do the buses run late from Glasgow down that way?