Quick Question Thread

Ok, when do we have to pay? :rolleyes:

Let me look into my crystal ball.....

"Ask again later. Preferably once the Scottish Parliament elections are over". The crystal ball has spoken.

Edited by yoda

Guest The Phoenix

Ad Lib, why do you need to be such a pedantic arsehole? You knew fine well what the lad was on about.

To add to the pedantry, he doesn't need to be, he just is.

Right, can anyone find me a cheaper way of getting the train to London than about 90 quid return? I want to go overnight on Thursday 28th April and return overnight on the 29th.

Thank you, come again.

Guest The Phoenix

Right, can anyone find me a cheaper way of getting the train to London than about 90 quid return? I want to go overnight on Thursday 28th April and return overnight on the 29th.

Thank you, come again.

No. Do you understand?

Guest The Phoenix

Yes, thanks for trying though. It is pretty awkward trying to book tickets for trains.

Indeed - the cheapest I got was well over £100.

Could be done cheaper if you can travel during the day but I guess that's not an option?

Paying Gas and electricity every 3 months, is it cheaper paying it weekly or monthly?

Most suppliers will give you a Direct Debit discount if you pay monthly, something you don't get quarterly. The only way to pay weekly is to PAYG with the key meter, which works out much more expensive per unit of electricity/gas than it is if you pay quarterly or monthly.

Basically, the best way is DD on a monthly basis.

Guest The Phoenix

Yeah thats what i have been doing right now which i hadnt a choice in. What i liked about the PAYG is you always know how much im spending on a day to day basis were as monthly i wont know until whenever the bill comes in. But will phone them tomoro as ive had to take a reading on both electricty n gas

G-Man, I know someone at Scottish Power who, although he's a salesman, I trust to give you honest advice about what the best plan is for you.

PM me your number if you want me to get him to give you a ring.

Cheers

TP

Yeah thats what i have been doing right now which i hadnt a choice in. What i liked about the PAYG is you always know how much im spending on a day to day basis were as monthly i wont know until whenever the bill comes in. But will phone them tomoro as ive had to take a reading on both electricty n gas

When you phone to arrange your contract with the gas/electricity board, they'll normally run through with you the size of the property and number of occupants and work out an estimate of how much they think you'll need to pay. Compare it with how much you pay now. If you're going from a flat to a house, expect to pay a bit more than you do now, but bear in mind that the pre-pay meters are more expensive than paying monthly. Quite often, they'll mark your estimate quite high because they get more cash off you and you're unlikely to go into arrears - don't worry about that too much because you get back what you overpay either by cheque or credit to your account - but don't let them set your monthly amount to anything you can't afford.

Will be going with Brittish Gas, its them who is already in that house

Don't go with them solely because they currently supply the house. Check uswitch.com and see if you can get it cheaper. There's no ripping pipes out etc nowadays if you want to change, basically British Gas will switch off and your new supplier will switch on, you won't even notice any difference.

Yeah i pay £80 a month roughly on pay as you go, until the summer n that changes to half that roughly. Going from house to house so i presume it shouldnt be far off what i pay now i think or hope.

From house to house, and from pre-payment to paying monthly, you can likely expect that to drop a little. What will happen though is they'll make an estimate of how much they think you'll use and you pay that as a monthly amount. They'll make any adjustments when they do their own meter readings in future. If you're overpaying, they'll reduce the monthly amount you pay and obviously if you're not paying enough, they'll put your monthly direct debit up. Then, in the summer, you may end up paying the same amount as the winter, but as I said before, once your meter readings are done, you'll get back what you've overpaid either as a cheque or credit to your account - and it's normally the customer's decision which one.

Get The Phoenix's pal to give you a ring and an estimate and give Uswitch a try to compare some providers and see what's about.

Guest The Phoenix

Don't go with them solely because they currently supply the house. Check uswitch.com and see if you can get it cheaper. There's no ripping pipes out etc nowadays if you want to change, basically British Gas will switch off and your new supplier will switch on, you won't even notice any difference.

Spot on Rugster.

Only a fool would blindly stick with the current supplier.

Changing can save you £££s.

:( Yup i guess that woul/dcould be me

I presume i can get this all sorted n done by 1 day n get it up in running by the next day for my gas n electricity?

I doubt it if you were just switching supplier, there will be notice involved, but since you're moving house it will be a new contract anyway so just tell them the date you move in and it should be on.

Guest The Phoenix

Think he's already moved Rugster but in any event, if he can get a better deal by moving suppliers, it's worth any hassle - which is actually minimal because the new supplier does most of the work for you.

:( Yup i guess that woul/dcould be me

I presume i can get this all sorted n done by 1 day n get it up in running by the next day for my gas n electricity?

We moved house last year and changed over to our supplier very easily,It took about 21 days from when i agreed to switch.All that happened was i took readings on a certain day and phoned them to both new and old company.

I was then billed by the old company and set up dirct debit with the new supplier.

Edited by keithgy

Guest The Phoenix

Nah i move on wedensday just got keys today. Will pm you take the guys number.

Feel pretty nieve about all this :(

I'll need your number (and name) G_Man - he'll phone you.

Pretty sure he starts work at 13:00 hrs most days.