Quick Question Thread

Guest The Phoenix

i may require some advice from a legal eagle , re employment law

can you be sacked for failure to follow sickness absence reporting procedures without prior verbal or written warning

Extremely unlikely that an employer would be able to get away with such a dismissal.

i may require some advice from a legal eagle , re employment law

can you be sacked for failure to follow sickness absence reporting procedures without prior verbal or written warning

Highly unlikely as has been said. Were you informed of the correct procedure to follow? And is there a record of you being informed? (Eg a signed copy of the procedure)

think it can aspire to gross misconduct which is sackable. Most places have guidelines on what they term gross misconduct

its only termed as just "misconduct"

i received a letter inviting me to a disciplinary meeting , but it never stated on the letter that dismissal could occur (im sure that

Highly unlikely as has been said. Were you informed of the correct procedure to follow? And is there a record of you being informed? (Eg a signed copy of the procedure)

Extremely unlikely that an employer would be able to get away with such a dismissal.

the procedure to date, an investigation was carried out, i have been invited to a disciplinary meeting on tuesday

do they not need to state dismissal could occur on said letter? im sure they do

just trying to establish facts before i go in really :)

think it can aspire to gross misconduct which is sackable. Most places have guidelines on what they term gross misconduct

i received a letter inviting me to a disciplinary meeting , but it never stated on the letter that dismissal could occur (im sure that

the procedure to date, an investigation was carried out, i have been invited to a disciplinary meeting on tuesday

If its not on the letter, it's not an option.

They need to give you advanced warning if its sackable.

The tap in my kitchen has a "hot" and "cold" setting. I presume many other peoples taps have similar settings. However when I turn my tap to "hot" it doesn't give me hot water. When the heating is on, it's a 50/50 chance whether I get freezing or warm water. This is frustrating.

How do I fix this? Ideally without involving a plumber.

Join a union.

The tap in my kitchen has a "hot" and "cold" setting. I presume many other peoples taps have similar settings. However when I turn my tap to "hot" it doesn't give me hot water. When the heating is on, it's a 50/50 chance whether I get freezing or warm water. This is frustrating.

How do I fix this? Ideally without involving a plumber.

Do you have a combi boiler or do you have a hot water tank?

If you have a combi boiler,check that it has fired up when you are running the hot water. If it has not fired up then you need a heating engineer.

If you have a hot water tank check if it is hot or not. Also check any pipes that are connected to the side of it to see if they are hot when the boiler is running in the hot water mode.

If these pipes are cold have a look and see if there is a metal or plastic box attached to the pipe. If so try to check if the little lever on the side of it is in the open position. To do this slide the lever across and move it into the locking catch to stop it returning. If you can do this then switch your heating on then check the pipes going to the tank are heating up. If this works it will only be a temporary measure and you really should call out an engineer for a proper fix.

This might be a daft question...

I've got a Ted Baker suit that was pretty much off-the-rack from Slaters a couple of years ago, but it's a nice piece of gear. The only problem is the trousers are quite "baggy". Like they were made for a bloke with fatter legs than me. Would a standard place that does alterations be able to make the trouser legs skinnier, or can they only really adjust the length? I've never had anything altered before!

Cheers pals.

Had the exact same problem with a Ted Baker suit. I've had jackets altered before but it never occured to me to get the trousers done. Will look into this now.

Has anyone on here put in a complaint about their boss?

I am thinking of putting in a grievance against my manager as he has been putting preasure on me to return to work whilst the doctor says I am not fit and signed me off.

dont think you are legally allowed to return to work whilst signed off sick. The employers liability insurance wont cover people who are unfit to work.

Has anyone on here put in a complaint about their boss?

I am thinking of putting in a grievance against my manager as he has been putting preasure on me to return to work whilst the doctor says I am not fit and signed me off.

Aye proof will be needed, Emails or whatever, His word against yours will just end in a deadlock where he will ride you when you do return.

Does anyone remember an incident at The Dell where there was an effort on goal that crossed the line and struck the advertising boards behind the goals and rebounded out but the goal wasn't awarded?

Trying to settle a debate here.

Does anyone remember an incident at The Dell where there was an effort on goal that crossed the line and struck the advertising boards behind the goals and rebounded out but the goal wasn't awarded?

No.

Aye, it happened, just mention that I verified that for you.

Yup, some dude from the internet, they'll go for that.