Quick Question Thread

Quick question - can someone describe to me what an actuary is?

It's something to do with determining what the premiums should be for life insurance purposes based upon life expectancy. Sort of.

What I've gathered is that basically they assess risk on things. So kind of like a bookie in taking odds, but they can do it on things like pensions, insurance, building property etc. Correct?

What I've gathered is that basically they assess risk on things. So kind of like a bookie in taking odds, but they can do it on things like pensions, insurance, building property etc. Correct?

Sounds about right, I've never heard of a poor bookie nor an actuary, so if it's a profession you are looking at joining, go for it.

I am one! (Well almost fully qualified) There's all sorts of things to do with risk assessment, including to do with life insurance, investment strategy, pensions, general insurance, etc. Plenty other stuff involved as well.

I am one! (Well almost fully qualified) There's all sorts of things to do with risk assessment, including to do with life insurance, investment strategy, pensions, general insurance, etc. Plenty other stuff involved as well.

Any chance you can sum up with an actuary does in a sentance or paragraph and tell me anything interesting about the Institute and Faculty of Actuaries?

Good luck with the rest of your qualifications!

Any chance you can sum up with an actuary does in a sentance or paragraph

Yes.

"They bore people and suck the life out of a room Dementor style" :D

What is this 'NAP' patter all about? What doed it mean!?

Not A Problem

Does anyone remember an incident at The Dell where there was an effort on goal that crossed the line and struck the advertising boards behind the goals and rebounded out but the goal wasn't awarded?

Trying to settle a debate here.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-1207101/The-goals-Sportsmails-time-favourite-Phantom-goals.html

It's the 4th one down. A Mark Hughes "goal"

Any chance you can sum up with an actuary does in a sentance or paragraph and tell me anything interesting about the Institute and Faculty of Actuaries?

You mean what he actuary does?

It's actually quite difficult to sum up! There's all sorts of different things that can be done - I spend my days working with investment strategies to ensure that people get paid the money that they've been promised but other people work directly with companies that provide pension schemes to their employees.

It's also apparently the best job in the world! http://metro.co.uk/2013/04/23/is-being-a-newspaper-reporter-really-the-worst-job-in-the-world-3663649/

And I'm just waiting on the result of my final exam, in July I find out whether I qualify or have to resit.

I'm an idiot and bought a Laptop without a dvd drive, so I can't install all my old football manager games, is there any sort of external things that'd let me install and play these games...

I googled it and I wasn't sure if I'd be able to do it.

Cheers in advance

I'm an idiot and bought a Laptop without a dvd drive, so I can't install all my old football manager games, is there any sort of external things that'd let me install and play these games...

I googled it and I wasn't sure if I'd be able to do it.

Cheers in advance

http://www.pcworld.co.uk/gbuk/components-upgrades/cd-dvd-blu-ray-drives/external-drives/lite-on-edu108-02-external-slimline-usb-dvd-drive-black-04005326-pdt.html

Going to be in Glasgow airport in a few hours, whats the cheapest and easiest way to get to queen street?

905 express bus from the airport, stops at the side of Queen St. Costs £6 IIRC.