Quick Question Thread

Would Pepsi(co) not be more popular than Coke* in some South American countries?

* The soft drink of course.

Don't know, I've heard the Irn Bru thing before and someone at work said it today whilst I was enjoying my afternoon "Ginger bubbles"!

I asked this in the E-Chat forum but have had no reply so I'll put it in here to give my query a bit more exposure:

My laptop needs a new battery. It still works for now but it keeps dying on me without warning. Will this be solved by buying a new battery or does it sound like something else is wrong with it? Don't want to shell out for a battery only to end up needing a new laptop anyway.

Have you tried using it with the power cable in?

Also does it sound like an aircraft carrier taking off?

If its plugged in and getting loud it's overheating. If its not plugged and dying quick but stays on when plugged its likely to be the battery

It's plugged in almost constantly because the battery runs out after 20 minutes if it's not. The base of the laptop is always roasting when it conks out so it's definitely overheating but I don't have a clue if a new battery would solve that.

Is it possible for the TV licensing people to remotely disconnect your aerial? We've just moved into a flat in Dundee two months before the original tenants were originally scheduled and as the last tenants haven't paid for one we've already received a few threatening letters. The television was originally working all right but since receiving letters it won't pick up any signal from the cable in our flat.

I know nothing about computers. I need some anti-virus. Norton anti-virus for 1 year @ £9.49. Is this a good deal?

It's this one, btw

http://www.techtradersuk.co.uk/shop.html#!/~/product/category=5351048&id=22178945

Don't touch Norton's stuff.

Microsoft Security Essentials is free and solid. Pair it with the also free Malwarebytes anti-malware software and you're rockin. Just remember to run Malwarebytes every few weeks, and set a similar schedule (can set it in-program) for MSE (which also monitors your system all the time for threats).

EDIT: AVG is ok, but I'd recommend going with what I wrote.

Edited by banana

It's plugged in almost constantly because the battery runs out after 20 minutes if it's not. The base of the laptop is always roasting when it conks out so it's definitely overheating but I don't have a clue if a new battery would solve that.

fujitsu siemens amilo perchance?

its overheating, is the exhaust vents on the bottom ?

I find raising the arse of mine for 5-10 mins while I make a coffee etc (sorta balance it in a ^ shape) clears the heat.

sounds like your fan could be on its way out. that in mind a dodgy battery maybe raising the temp as well.

take it is over 3 years old ?

Don't touch Norton's stuff.

Microsoft Security Essentials is free and solid. Pair it with the also free Malwarebytes anti-malware software and you're rockin. Just remember to run Malwarebytes every few weeks, and set a similar schedule (can set it in-program) for MSE (which also monitors your system all the time for threats).

EDIT: AVG is ok, but I'd recommend going with what I wrote.

I recently used my laptop in ages and the thing was absolutely hoaching with stuff. I tried to run 4OD and it was chronically slow, all my search engines had changed, shitey adverts kept popping up everywhere etc etc.

I ran a full 2hr scan with Microsoft Security Essentials and that detected a couple of severe things but didn't seem to make much difference.

I then went to the number one port of call which was P&B and ventured into e-chat for the first time where I heard about malwarebytes (I've still got no idea what malware is). Anyway, I ran the full shibbang with that and it deleted a whole pile of shite to bring my machine back to it's former glory. All I had to do was go into Chrome and manually remove the unwelcome add on extensions and change the home page setting. When I changed the latter pre-malwarebytes, something kept changing it implying that Microsoft Essentials wasn't enough.

AVG picked up f*** all btw. I tried running that before malwarebytes too. Someone on e-chat said AVG was free but I can only find a 30 day trial for that. I won't be buying it anytime soon after that.

^ MSE and Malwarebytes have a different focus, so definitely on the ball running both.

The Maywarebytes company have a host of interesting products and are at the leading edge of research->product in this area.

I recently used my laptop in ages and the thing was absolutely hoaching with stuff. I tried to run 4OD and it was chronically slow, all my search engines had changed, shitey adverts kept popping up everywhere etc etc.

I ran a full 2hr scan with Microsoft Security Essentials and that detected a couple of severe things but didn't seem to make much difference.

I then went to the number one port of call which was P&B and ventured into e-chat for the first time where I heard about malwarebytes (I've still got no idea what malware is). Anyway, I ran the full shibbang with that and it deleted a whole pile of shite to bring my machine back to it's former glory. All I had to do was go into Chrome and manually remove the unwelcome add on extensions and change the home page setting. When I changed the latter pre-malwarebytes, something kept changing it implying that Microsoft Essentials wasn't enough.

AVG picked up f*** all btw. I tried running that before malwarebytes too. Someone on e-chat said AVG was free but I can only find a 30 day trial for that. I won't be buying it anytime soon after that.

^ MSE and Malwarebytes have a different focus, so definitely on the ball running both.

The Maywarebytes company have a host of interesting products and are at the leading edge of research->product in this area.

Hedgecutters post reminded me that I hadn't scanned for a while.

MSE scanned in about 10 minutes and found nothing, malwarebytes took twice as long and detected 19 items for removal, I'm puzzled at this.