The New Raith Rovers Thread

Aitken and his assistant stevie farrell seem pretty canny but, if the opportunity isnt right for them, or if expectations seem unrealistic I wouldnt expect them to go.

At the POTY do Stevie described the chat he had with Faz before talking to us, was pretty much that if expectations were unrealistic they'd have thanked us for our time and stayed at stranraer.

So raith fans; after the high of this season whats a realistic expectation for next season? Top 6 and pushing for fourth again?

In with a realistic chance of fourth going into the last quarter I would say.

According to this article in the Scotsman, which is admittedly almost two years old, he'd be prepared to give up his job at Rolls Royce to go full time.

Reading that, and assuming he still feels the same, I can see it happening. The big thing he'll want is a commitment from the board at Raith that he'll get time, even if things are shaky at first. I know most managers will obviously say that, but if he's given up a f/t job then it could potentially put his livelihood at risk if he gets the bullet within say 6 months after a dreadful start.

As the poster above said though, him and Faz know they have plenty of time in their management career, and if the Raith job isn't right they will walk away.

It could explain why we've had such an uneventful few weeks on the transfer/contracts side of things. If he goes I really fear it'll throw the squad building into disarray with such a short break until the season starts again. It also has frightening parallels with our..erm...fall from this division 20 years ago.

I notice Stevie Aitken's brother is coaching at Stranraer...who was Jim Fallon's assistant with us again? It wasn't Murdo's brother was it, or am I thinking of someone else? If it was then it's giving me the fear and I wasn't even born when we appointed Fallon.

With preseason due to start 3 weeks today for most clubs, I'm kind of hoping for the manager to be in place for the start of next week, with a fortnight to have a look and start bringing his own players in. Decent strikers are hard to come by as it already is but are going to be a lot harder to find as time goes on. The same goes with wingers. Still not given up all hope on seeing Connolly return( however unlikely it is).

We're missing 2 strikers, 2 wingers, a LB and another CB IMO, we can then look at strengthening the depth with a few loans after that. But firstly, we need a management team in it, and there hasn't been anybody linked with it or rumoured or anything. I understand it takes time to find the right appointment but at the same time, I don't want us to be left picking up the scraps after every other team have made all their signings.

Toshney, Benedictus, Davidson and Bates can all play there, Thomson at a push. I realise that Barr was outstanding in his run of games, there but if the choice was between Barr + a mediocre striker/winger and getting in someone of Connolly's standard (for example) then I'd be putting my faith in Davie Bates to live up to his potential and signing a ringer for up top.

Aitken and his assistant stevie farrell seem pretty canny but, if the opportunity isnt right for them, or if expectations seem unrealistic I wouldnt expect them to go.

At the POTY do Stevie described the chat he had with Faz before talking to us, was pretty much that if expectations were unrealistic they'd have thanked us for our time and stayed at stranraer.

So raith fans; after the high of this season whats a realistic expectation for next season? Top 6 and pushing for fourth again?

Next season will be tough, more so than this season imo. I think the club will sell it to Aitken that the aim is to try and make the playoffs again. He'll obviously have a bigger budget to play with than he would at Dumbarton and won't have much to do in terms of transfers, the bulk of our squad is already signed up, meaning he can get stuck in from the get go. Then again whether he'll be keen inheriting a squad of players not signed by him is another question. 

There is a shortlist of 4 and they are being interviewed tomorrow and Thursday I've heard.

Hmm, that's an odd one. You'd think if they had approached us for Stevie then they wouldn't be putting him (and the others) through an interview process. They'd have a conversation and both parties would come to a decision. 

He talks in cliches, so I'd imagine he'll be impressive at an interview.

Hmm, that's an odd one. You'd think if they had approached us for Stevie then they wouldn't be putting him (and the others) through an interview process. They'd have a conversation and both parties would come to a decision.

He talks in cliches, so I'd imagine he'll be impressive at an interview.

Don't talk about interviews, I'm still missing McKinnon's "Listen...."