The New Raith Rovers Thread

Agree with that Paco. We're not going to cost the club money if Sim is paying for it then it can only be a positive. We'll obviously need to keep an eye on who we're signing in injuries, but generally speaking it should be something good for us. We'll get more use from the stadium and we can get different groups training on it . The only worry is that a lot of times with clubs directors or chairmen say they'll pay themselves, then tie it back in some form to the club - but that's more my cynicism over football.

I was goin to post this on the match thread but didn't want to clogg it up with Rovers (Raith that is) only chat. Now we have a miraculous situation where we almost have everyone back fit, what is our 'strongest team'. Now I know sometimes you chnage depending on the opposition etc. but it would be good to see what people feel is our strongest team. I think it was very close to saturday's line up. But probably with Robertson in for Herron and Benedictus in for Davo. That does leave Vaughan deep still, however. And many may feel its worth getting him up the park. What do we all think? For me it is either one if these two:

Lennox

JT Bene McKay* Murray

Barr Robbo Vaughan Dario Z

Big Willie Style

Buchanan

Lennox

JT Bene McKay Murray

Big Willie Style Robbo Herron** Dario Z

Vaughan

Buchanan

*I've went for Dave over Davo as I think, whilst Davo has been brilliant, you want to keep playing and developing the young boy.

**if its Saturdays Herron. If not then go for Mathews. I think if we had Robbo and Mathews though we would be a bit like before we moved Vaughan in there - creatively weak.)

My assumption is the new pitch is, first and foremost, to save us cash on the hiring of the Michael Woods Centre and the various other pitches the youth teams have to use with the secondary benefit being having it used by the community. To be honest we have really no idea how much interest there will be from the local community to use it and/or the various other cost implications that goes with that i.e. staffing/parking facilities (or lack of)/changing facilities etc. Whilst I don't have the figure to hand I vaguely remember reading a while back it costs a pretty hefty amount to use the floodlights and when you consider most people using the pitch will be in the evening you have to factor that in as well. If I'm correct with the my first assumption then great. If it generates money through community use then even better but part of me thinks the uptake on people wanting to use it will be slim. 

I,d be surprised if Sim  is funding this.Sure in his last and only interview he said he would be seeking funding for it which took it to mean external funding.

Personally think its a shite idea football wise

As far as the club making money from it,times I pass KHS and theres not a soul on the pitches  their.Raithie also makes valid points,floodlight costing,staffing,parking,changing facilities etc

To be fair our pitch is hopeless with any sort of moisture and normally looks done in by this time of year, and no matter how hard ground staff work even when it looks good it feels like a ploughed field underneath. 

Plastic might be shite but I can't see how a  more reliable flatter surface could be a bad thing.

Personally I feel as though this is our best XI available when all fully fit. Next season however I’d opt to start Bene & McKay at centre half, but that’s another discussion. I’m a fan of Bobby Barr, and I buzz how he winds up the opposition and their fans. But purely on form I’d have to go for Zanatta.
IMG_7112.jpg

As for the artificial pitch going in, I fully back it.

18 minutes ago, Michael W said:

If there are drainage problems currently they aren't going to disappear on a synthetic surface. 

I’m led to believe they will as any installation will involve all associated drainage works hence the high costs , Remember it’s a FIFA grade pitch which will have to meet the required standards . To be honest I’m not for it but financially it makes sense if we can receive a regular income/ reduce training costs i.e Michael Woods etc.

Personally I feel as though this is our best XI available when all fully fit. Next season however I’d opt to start Bene & McKay at centre half, but that’s another discussion. I’m a fan of Bobby Barr, and I buzz how he winds up the opposition and their fans. But purely on form I’d have to go for Zanatta.
IMG_7112.jpg.077db31636bca709457c526325dda1db.jpg

As for the artificial pitch going in, I fully back it.

I like the look of that, Smith seems an old school 442 type of guy though.

On the pitch, I haven't a problem with it so long as it doesn't increase the clubs debt. Long term it will help decrease it. I think when it comes to artificial surfaces alot of the time it's more the fear of the unknown with fans and players. Sim is clearly not a stupid man and I'm sure he's done enough research before making this decision. There is funding available for this from sport Scotland etc. Cupar hearts are an amateur team who got external funding for their (admittedly, too small) pitch. Also leishman has told a club I was involved with at that level to apply for certain funding if they wanted to go ahead with it.

There must be some sort of external funding available, there’s no way easy fife, Montrose etc could afford 500k outright surely?

Was it not Fife Council that funded EF’s pitch or at least contributed towards it?

4 hours ago, Rovers_Lad said:

I,d be surprised if Sim  is funding this.Sure in his last and only interview he said he would be seeking funding for it which took it to mean external funding.

Personally think its a shite idea football wise

As far as the club making money from it,times I pass KHS and theres not a soul on the pitches  their.Raithie also makes valid points,floodlight costing,staffing,parking,changing facilities etc

John Sim owns Stark's Park Properties which owns Stark's Park. The funding is likely to be a bank loan to Stark's Park Properties, not John Sim dipping in to his current account. 

12 hours ago, JinglinGeordie said:

John Sim owns Stark's Park Properties which owns Stark's Park. The funding is likely to be a bank loan to Stark's Park Properties, not John Sim dipping in to his current account. 

I,m aware of Sims ownership.Good luck to him securing a bank loan in this day and age