The New Raith Rovers Thread

18 minutes ago, Holy Marv said:

An inexperienced manager once the season has already started is too big a gamble. But aye, I’ll grab that book you suggested... moron

Having a different view doesn't make a person a moron, does it? If it does then there's a few morons giving their views below. Click on the first part of Matt Elder's post, not the bit about casting your vote.

I'm all for giving young managers a try and it's a route I'd like to see us go down as a club.

Problem we have is that there is no grace period.  They have to hit the ground running the second they come in this season. Going up is absolutely imperative for us and there is no room for time to allow a young manager to grow into the job or time for us to invest in their development. 

If a young guy comes in, and has a slow start with us off the pace by Xmas, can you imagine the reaction in the stands at games? We lost a game at home to Alloa under Mckinnon and there were shouts from the South Stand calling for his head. 

We have an urgent short term need so a short term appointment isn't exactly the worst thing in the world. 

That said, I was absolutely delighted when John Hughes was appointed. 

Edited by CALDERON

To be fair there would no grace period for an experienced manager and no guarantee they would hit the ground running.Shown in the past

Its a risk/ chance irrespective if we appoint experience/ or younger inexperienced manager.

Understand the need to be promoted but feel short term manager isnt the answer.

2 hours ago, Beachbum said:

Having a different view doesn't make a person a moron, does it? If it does then there's a few morons giving their views below. Click on the first part of Matt Elder's post, not the bit about casting your vote.

Personally think anyone acting like Jim Goodwin has even a slight possibility of going to Raith is a moron...

As Matt says, it's unlikely. I don't think anyone realistically expects for a manager to drop down a division to a club where the last manager walked out due to constraints, especially when he's been linked to far bigger clubs. It's a good opportunity for any manager applying though, given that we've got far more scope to potential improve compared to Alloa who are probably at their peak at the moment.

25 minutes ago, Broken Algorithms said:

far more scope to potential improve compared to Alloa who are probably at their peak at the moment.

Except what your scope to improve is beating a whole host of full time teams that are better resourced because the overall plan of the football club at least was to be in and out of the Premiership. 

At Alloa meeting the minimum expectations is going to turn heads because we aren't even the biggest part-time team. It's a job where you get patience to be a manager. We were sitting 9th after the first round of games last year. As a manager looking to improve your profile theres far more potential to get some relative success at Alloa than at Raith, where getting promoted to the Championship is the minimum expectation and the team haven't exactly shown again that they are head and shoulders above the rest of the league.

I personally think that, if compensation wasn’t an issue, and that Goodwin was the man our board wanted, he’d jump at the chance.

If he’s a manager with aspirations to manage at the highest level possible then full time football would be the next logical step for him. 

17 minutes ago, CALDERON said:

Absolutely seething, for some weird reason. 

43 minutes ago, LeodhasXD said:

Except what your scope to improve is beating a whole host of full time teams that are better resourced because the overall plan of the football club at least was to be in and out of the Premiership. 

At Alloa meeting the minimum expectations is going to turn heads because we aren't even the biggest part-time team. It's a job where you get patience to be a manager. We were sitting 9th after the first round of games last year. As a manager looking to improve your profile theres far more potential to get some relative success at Alloa than at Raith, where getting promoted to the Championship is the minimum expectation and the team haven't exactly shown again that they are head and shoulders above the rest of the league.

We're a stepping stone to Premiership clubs but Alloa are a stepping stone to clubs like us. 

10 minutes ago, Kdawg said:

I personally think that, if compensation wasn’t an issue, and that Goodwin was the man our board wanted, he’d jump at the chance.

If he’s a manager with aspirations to manage at the highest level possible then full time football would be the next logical step for him. 

Goodwin who rejected the chance to be St Mirren manager in the Premiership to stay at Alloa?

14 minutes ago, Kdawg said:

Not a chance in hell Goodwin would leave Alloa for Raith, especially at this point in time. Must be the same type of thinking that had Rovers' fans suggesting Kenny Miller and Lee Miller as potential summer signings.

I'd even be pretty surprised if higher profile managers like Hartley and Stubbs would lower themselves to League One football, despite their failures elsewhere.

1 minute ago, Poet of the Macabre said:

Not a chance in hell Goodwin would leave Alloa for Raith, especially at this point in time. Must be the same type of thinking that had Rovers' fans suggesting Kenny Miller and Lee Miller as potential summer signings.

I'd even be pretty surprised if higher profile managers like Hartley and Stubbs would lower themselves to League One football, despite their failures elsewhere.

Tbh, I was surprised Clark was linked with us for that reason.

15 minutes ago, 1320Lichtie said:

Would have to side with the seething Leodhas here. Goodwins next job will be a better one than the current opportunity that presents itself at Raith Rovers.

That's really what I'm incredulous about. Raith fans are living in the 90's still. I don't know what I have to seethe about. I think below is pretty amusing:lol:

20 minutes ago, Ebanda's Handyman Services said:

We're a stepping stone to Premiership clubs but Alloa are a stepping stone to clubs like us. 

7 minutes ago, Poet of the Macabre said:

I'd be pretty delighted if higher profile managers like Hartley and Stubbs won't lower themselves to League One football, despite their failures elsewhere.