The New Raith Rovers Thread

We are still in a reasonable position to push for fourth but I don't think a side who's performance floor is as low as shown in the last two games is a realistic  contender for any title.

Without Spencer our midfield is poison. Neither Tait or Matthews can do that box to box job, dropping deep and recycling the play. Our whole style is based on building through the midfield and allowing our creative players to get on the ball to run at defences. Yesterday Zanatta was isolated and Ross played a lot of the game dropping off and picking the ball up with his back to goal.

Maybe Stanton (and Williamson if he came in) will come in and give us that dimension back. If he doesn't we've got pretty deep issues. Our midfield was so flat yesterday we had no way through the press and our forwards were isolated.

Another issue is our inability to change shape if needed. We have two fit centre forwards at the club and 3 creative types for the three positions behind the CF. That is quite unbalanced if we wanted to make a change to 3-5-2 for example as none of Zanatta, Ross or Connolly look like they could play as a traditional CF. There is also an issue that for our given shape we don't really have enough competition for places presently. 

So in order to consolidate a play off place we need Stanton and A.N.Other to come in for Tait and Spencer. We also need another wide player who can offer some competition for places. Finally, we need a centre forward - Varian and Poplatnik are both clever players in their own way but both do a lot of work outside the box and down the channels. We really need someone who will stay central, get in the box and can mix it up with CBs.

So one in, with probably another 3 required. 

Tall order.

2 minutes ago, CALDERON said:

The lack of a goal scoring centre forward will, in the end, kill any title chances.  I actually don't mind Varian, but we need everyone else on their game and chipping in for him to be effective.

It's not a direct criticism of Varian, but his lack of a goalscoring threat makes us much easier to play against than would normally be the case. Teams know by now that he's essentially a decoy, a build up man who's the furthest forward but isn't the real danger. 

At his best, Varian has dragged defences around and created huge gaps for others to exploit, but it's our only real attacking strategy and it's easily blunted by holding a defensive shape and keeping the closest tabs on the attacking three, not the striker. That we also don't have any real viable options to rotate any of those three compounds the issue. 

The Courier slightly more assertive on the prospect of the deal. I'd expect that to happen now. 

Good to see two midfielders coming in. While Spencer is obviously missing for now, he's still on the wage bill and will be back at some stage, so that's an extra body into a fairly small squad. 

Looking at it just in terms of what they can offer in the second half of this season, you'd have to say that Stanton and Williamson would look to be an upgrade on Tait. Young loanees are always a risk, but Ben Williamson is actually slightly older than Dylan and has experience at this level, so you'd hope he carries less risk than some. 

11 minutes ago, baillieinleeds said:

I heard rumours that Goodwillie was heading to Starks. Erm, No thanks

I actually heard this yesterday as well though I think it was a Twitter rumour putting 2 + 2 together and getting 5 rather than anything reliable or with substance.

Covering old ground but he is exactly the type of striker that we need in terms of hold up and all round play as well as ability to get goals. However, I would be horrified if we signed him.

You can’t claim to be a family, community club and then sign a rapist. I’d rather see us finish 5th without him than end up in the play offs because we signed a rapist.

Hopefully just the annual rumours and there is nothing to it.

13 minutes ago, baillieinleeds said:

I heard rumours that Goodwillie was heading to Starks. Erm, No thanks

In purely footballing terms, he'd be absolutely perfect.

I want to make that clear first of all, so there can be no ambiguity in exactly why I'm categorically opposed to the move. It would be a massive, massive backwards step for the club when they've done so much to foster a close relationship with the support, and a burgeoning reputation within the wider Scottish footballing community. 

I've no idea how much, if any, substance there is to the rumour, this is the first I've heard of it, but it's a move that should not and cannot happen. 

We shouldn't be going anywhere near him. I'd be fuming if we signed him. If we're trying to raise our profile in the community, then you don't sign a rapist. It isn't a question of his footballing ability, it's a question of decency.

Not that I think we'd sign him or that Clyde would let him go.

I’m with everyone else, the profile of the club comes before a player. No doubt Goodwillie has talent, a real predator in the box no pun intended. But I’d be fuming if he did sign on here. Gullan is my hope. He knows the club and he knows how we play. Perfection 

I’d be happy to see Gullan back but not as our much needed number 9. He’d add good depth and quality to the attacking areas with his versatility being able to play as a centre forward, 10 or wide and he’s a good age to continue developing as well as being familiar with the club, management and style of play.

However, if we continue with the current system we need a number 9 with a bit more physical presence that can hold the ball up and bring the likes of Ross/Zanatta/Connolly and Gullan, if he signs, into the game.

Stanton, Williamson, Gullan and a good quality number 9 would be a very decent window though.