The New Raith Rovers Thread

Murray was quite open about how Corr has been scouted over the last year and that there were numerous clubs trying to get him before we signed him. I don't think he'll be a first choice, but I don't think he's there to make up the numbers. As fans we've practically no reference point given how the lowland league is. I'm confident he's not there to make up the numbers and I trust in Murray and Potter's judgement. If he's good enough, he'll play. 

13 minutes ago, Scottydog said:

That's what most of us thought with O'Riordan.

I'm happy with the signing of KW, I have no issues with defenders who lack pace as long as it's not all or even most of them. Berra strolled it in his season under the Bald one, he clearly wasn't so comfortable playing a very  high line under IM, my only worry would be a serving up of more of the same. Experienced defenders tend to be older and slower, IM needs to understand the trade off.

As someone mentioned earlier if you get a someone next to him who his quick and recovers well then I think Watson would be fine but I feel with the likes of Dick, Millen and Watson our defence is a bit slow and we need a bit more pace in there Imo 

Just to play Devils advocate here, lots of folk saying Watson will be fine even if he has no pace because Berra strolled it at Championship level after his pace deserted him. 

Bear in mind Berra played 100+ games in the English Premiership, 200+ in the English Championship and was capped 40-odd times for Scotland. 
Watson is no Berra in terms of ability. 

I’m not saying he won’t be any good, just that it’s probably best we don’t assume we’ve just signed Berra mk2. 

10 minutes ago, stevoraith said:

Just to play Devils advocate here, lots of folk saying Watson will be fine even if he has no pace because Berra strolled it at Championship level after his pace deserted him. 

Bear in mind Berra played 100+ games in the English Premiership, 200+ in the English Championship and was capped 40-odd times for Scotland. 
Watson is no Berra in terms of ability. 

I’m not saying he won’t be any good, just that it’s probably best we don’t assume we’ve just signed Berra mk2. 

Fair however Watson is younger than Berra was and I suspect given he’s previously played at RB in his early years, was blessed with more pace than Berra. Whilst he may not be as quick as he wasn’t, doesn’t mean he still can’t get about.

Berra was quicker even at the end of his career than Watson was before his injuries. Not a clue why people have decided since he retired that Berra was some form of carthorse, he was one of the quickest CBs in the country until he slowed down, and even then was still at least average.

Watson is well below that. Steven Anderson is a better comparison to make, but I don't think Watson reads the game as well as Anderson did.

But who knows.

10 hours ago, RandomGuy. said:

Berra was quicker even at the end of his career than Watson was before his injuries. Not a clue why people have decided since he retired that Berra was some form of carthorse, he was one of the quickest CBs in the country until he slowed down, and even then was still at least average.

Watson is well below that. Steven Anderson is a better comparison to make, but I don't think Watson reads the game as well as Anderson did.

But who knows.

Aye, by the time he was at Raith I thought Berra was slower on the turn, but when he got going he was quick enough, quicker than what Benedictus is for example. 

13 hours ago, Rcfc fan said:

Would’ve kept watson at county as cover, in our championship winning season albeit 4 years ago he was my personal player of the season. 

he’s lost some pace since then but was still doing us a turn in the premiership this season , he was club captain for a reason led by example and always gave 100%, should be a good signing at championship level. 

I’d agree with most of that, but he’s completely done at the top flight level.  He should do more than capably for Raith, but I don’t think they should expect 36 (or even 30) games from him.  If he’s playing at right back, you’re in big trouble, but he is a solid centre back.  Good signing.  

Re School Visits by RR & CF

Currently RR & the CF are engaged in a series of school visits to promote s/ts, summer football camps etc.
As part of that process, I procured 1000 RR pens as giveaways to the kids. I have checked on school rolls &
staff nos. and 1000 is small beer. There are over 30 local primaries & to visit them all would take till after the holidays but well worth doing as we have had a great reception. Much better than lessons.

It occurred to me that some people might like to sponsor some pens for their old or neighbouring primaries. It would cost £26 per 100 pens. I would advise the school & club so donors would receive some plaudits. If anyone is interested please let me know by PM.  This is for Kdy ,Glenrothes & District. I've had another 700 pledged so far & most schools like the idea. Yes. we have visited Sinclairtown  & I will return next week with some pens.

31 minutes ago, Savage Henry said:

I’d agree with most of that, but he’s completely done at the top flight level.  He should do more than capably for Raith, but I don’t think they should expect 36 (or even 30) games from him.  If he’s playing at right back, you’re in big trouble, but he is a solid centre back.  Good signing.  

He stated in his interview he is a centre half now not a right back. Only wat he'll be anywhere right back would be on the right side of a back 3. That could only happen though if IM signs at least another CH and one that can play on the left side.

1 hour ago, Rover the Moon said:

Greg McEwan definitely away. He’s even deleted his tweet about joining Rovers a few weeks ago.

Not surprised given his reputation in a similar role at Hibs. Seemed to be universally disliked.

Looks like he started a new role a couple of weeks ago at least. All a bit strange. 

4 minutes ago, raith1974 said:

Any ideas why Kieran Mitchell and Ethan Ross may not be playing today. Both just been in Gym 64 which usually means they are potentially recovering from injuries.

Mitchell has been injured since the tail end of last season, similar to Connolly. 

As for Ross, injured is his default setting. 

Just now, Ro Sham Bo said:

Mitchell has been injured since the tail end of last season, similar to Connolly. 

As for Ross, injured is his default setting. 

If he's still injured then Ross needs to go out on loan for 6 months or a season no use to us being this kid with potential. 

Jack Hamilton was also in, looks a unit.

2 minutes ago, raith1974 said:

If he's still injured then Ross needs to go out on loan for 6 months or a season no use to us being this kid with potential. 

Jack Hamilton was also in, looks a unit.

Hamilton hasn’t been registered to play due to cross border clearance as he’s still technically under contract with Hartlepool until the 30th June