The New Raith Rovers Thread

43 minutes ago, Beastie Russell said:

Might be underwhelming and they might be a good deal, but I have (for example) less pound notes in my pocket than I did last year so need to prioritise. I’m sure there are many others like me out there.

Good deal if you can take advantage of it 

It's worth remembering that while everything coming out the club is music to our ears, it'll be very hard to gauge how well it's registering with the wider public in Kirkcaldy. As you say, most people will be worse off compared to last year. Over the last few years there's been so much done on the community side with the foundation which is a slow burner. We're doing well for our starting point. 

8 hours ago, Jilted John said:

What’s everyone’s thoughts on season ticket sales so far and what would be a successful number of sales once the serious stuff starts?

I’m probably in the minority of being a bit underwhelmed at the numbers so far given how many of them are now free, coupled with the significant improvements both on and off the park.

How many of the 1.4k are free?

3 minutes ago, CALDERON said:

How many of the 1.4k are free?

That’s what I’m wondering. I’d say, at a rough guess, under 12’s would make up about a fifth of our home support.

As a comparison, Falkirk who are in a bad way, have sold 2,500 season tickets so far.

41 minutes ago, Jilted John said:

That’s what I’m wondering. I’d say, at a rough guess, under 12’s would make up about a fifth of our home support.

As a comparison, Falkirk who are in a bad way, have sold 2,500 season tickets so far.

Falkirk have always had a bigger home support than us, regardless of which league they are in. It’s an unfair comparison. 

I would add that comparisons with other football clubs are largely useless. The only comparison is worth making is with ourselves in previous years. 

Edited by Hank Scorpio

I don't think you can technically buy an under 12 season ticket. You have to buy an adult ticket and then ask for however many u12s you need. 

If that's how they are counting it then 1400 sold and however many freebies dished out means a healthier crowd all being well. 

I'm currently sat 400 miles away from the fife riviera. For the locals is there any noticeable difference to Starks Park yet and are the club more visible around the town with advertising etc? 

1 hour ago, Hank Scorpio said:

Falkirk have always had a bigger home support than us, regardless of which league they are in. It’s an unfair comparison. 

I would add that comparisons with other football clubs are largely useless. The only comparison is worth making is with ourselves in previous years. 

If we're going to make comparisons, then we're pretty much in our own wee group with Ayr and Morton. We're a trio of clubs who at best have made the promotion playoffs in recent years with the occasional spell in league one. We've had more success on the pitch than either of them but also spend more time in league one. We've all likely got similar season ticket numbers.

Just now, pub car king said:

I don't think you can technically buy an under 12 season ticket. You have to buy an adult ticket and then ask for however many u12s you need. 

If that's how they are counting it then 1400 sold and however many freebies dished out means a healthier crowd all being well. 

I'm currently sat 400 miles away from the fife riviera. For the locals is there any noticeable difference to Starks Park yet and are the club more visible around the town with advertising etc? 

I've passed Starks a few times and externally there's very little that's changed. I'd expect they want all the internal stuff like dressing rooms sorted first, before looking at bigger stuff on the outside. 

8 minutes ago, pub car king said:

The majority of the advertisement and visibility has been around the social media channels. How much that will change with Twitters bellend-in-chief Space Karen making ridiculous rate limiting decisions on its user base that is directly hurting outreach capabilities remains to be seen but there is not a lot else to be seen around town etc.

There’s been a power of work done at the stadium over the last month or so. I see it every day through the week, where there have been trades vans parked outside most days. Last week there were a few vans around the back of the stadium clearing stuff away - presumably that’s all to get the railway stand ready for the young team.

Re: season tickets. I think Hank’s spot on. It’s comparing apples with oranges to say how many Rovers have sold compared to Dunfermline/Falkirk/Partick etc. A lot of folks will wait until the end of the summer & make a decision then. A lot of others, like myself, might be intending to get to more games than ever before but still in a hazy area of not quite being sure if a season ticket is financially justifiable/other commitments at weekends meaning buying one might be pointless.

20 odd years ago there wasn't much in ours and Falkirks attendances.  Since then they've had a new stadium, been in 2 Scottish Cup finals, and spent a decent chunk of time in the Premiership.  They will have grown their support during that period.

Same time frame for Raith Rovers has seen 2nd place in this league once, 3rd place once and 4th once.  Other than that a mixture of absolute keech and "alright', with 2 absolute shit shows in Anelka and Goodwillie.

We've had a decent transfer window, but it will take success on the pitch to make a material difference.

13 minutes ago, Brashy's Boots said:

One of the most overrated players in recent years. A badly advised Billy Big-time. 

It was a poor sale at the time given it weakened the squad at a crucial time and he did end up being loaned to what was then a rival for the title before we totally imploded. 

However, there is no doubting with the benefit of hindsight that we ended up getting a good fee given developments. His career has certainly stalled and arguably is now in reverse. The perils of trading regular football for a bigger club where you will he viewed as developing and not given many chances, if indeed any. Being loaned is good for experience, but the player has to step it up when they are back or their future will be at the lower level. 

4 minutes ago, CALDERON said:

20 odd years ago there wasn't much in ours and Falkirks attendances.  Since then they've had a new stadium, been in 2 Scottish Cup finals, and spent a decent chunk of time in the Premiership.  They will have grown their support during that period.

Same time frame for Raith Rovers has seen 2nd place in this league once, 3rd place once and 4th once.  Other than that a mixture of absolute keech and "alright', with 2 absolute shit shows in Anelka and Goodwillie.

We've had a decent transfer window, but it will take success on the pitch to make a material difference.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/1999–2000_Scottish_First_Division

Less than 200 between yourselves and Falkirk right enough. 

Fwiw I'd imagine the free u12 tickets are definitely getting counted in the numbers surely? If you were announcing an attendance they'd be announced, just because they cost hee haw doesn't mean they don't count. 

33 minutes ago, Brashy's Boots said:

One of the most overrated players in recent years. A badly advised Billy Big-time. 

Really liked Tait when he came into the side and established himself, but his move to Hibs was ill advised. The change in manager before his move started probably didn't help and his new manager decided to farm him out. 

There is a good player in there but his career isn't going anywhere now, he'd have been better off staying where he was with us, learning from those around him and progressing that way instead of being steered towards the "bigger clubs" by his advisors. He should be looking to bin them off quickly.

19 minutes ago, HoBNob said:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/1999–2000_Scottish_First_Division

Less than 200 between yourselves and Falkirk right enough. 

Fwiw I'd imagine the free u12 tickets are definitely getting counted in the numbers surely? If you were announcing an attendance they'd be announced, just because they cost hee haw doesn't mean they don't count. 

Not necessarily, it’s been announced as ‘season tickets sold’ and not as number of ‘season ticket holders’ there could be a big difference

1 minute ago, CountryBumpkin said:

Really liked Tait when he came into the side and established himself, but his move to Hibs was ill advised. The change in manager before his move started probably didn't help and his new manager decided to farm him out. 

There is a good player in there but his career isn't going anywhere now, he'd have been better off staying where he was with us, learning from those around him and progressing that way instead of being steered towards the "bigger clubs" by his advisors. He should be looking to bin them off quickly.

From the sounds of what John Sim said, his parents need to take a fair bit of responsibility. Tait is just one of many who have found that the grass isn't always greener on the other side. That's three of McGlynn's 2019-21 era team who are now at league one level. Easily the best Rovers team I've enjoyed watching - it's not much of a surprise that Regan Hendry has still done relatively well down south. Losing Armstrong was a boot in the balls, and for a long time it looked like he'd flunk out of Killie but in fairness to him he's turned it around.

49 minutes ago, pub car king said:

I see Dylan Taits move to Hibs is working out, gone to Hamilton on loan. 

Easiest cash we’ve made, shame it’s not worked out for him at hibs and a lot of fans have thought he might not make it there in the first place hopefully we’ve inserted a sell on clause if hibs look to cash in at some point 

What a load of utter pish on here regarding Dylan Tait, these lads have short careers when a bigger club with bigger wages comes calling these lads should back themselfs and go for it.

Am sure Dylan had a pretty bad injury last season which may or may not be the reason for the lack of Champ offers but hes still young enough to kick on.

11 minutes ago, RRFC_Liam said:

Easiest cash we’ve made, shame it’s not worked out for him at hibs and a lot of fans have thought he might not make it there in the first place hopefully we’ve inserted a sell on clause if hibs look to cash in at some point 

He'll end up getting freed by Hibs and will kick about the leagues unless a McGlynn type picks him up and gets the most out of him. First thing he needs is a reality check and to ignore anything his parents tell him.