The New Raith Rovers Thread

For anyone who hasn't done so yet, I'd thoroughly recommend listening to the welcome interview with Callum Hannah. Seems like a great lad, very much living the dream that a lot of us would've had at that age (and, frankly, may still have, even if the ravages of time and absence of any sort of ability render it impossible). 

You can really hear what it meant to him when he got the reception he did at his first warm up. Can't wait to hear the South Stand when he's first subbed on. 

10 minutes ago, Raith Against The Machine said:

For anyone who hasn't done so yet, I'd thoroughly recommend listening to the welcome interview with Callum Hannah. Seems like a great lad, very much living the dream that a lot of us would've had at that age (and, frankly, may still have, even if the ravages of time and absence of any sort of ability render it impossible). 

You can really hear what it meant to him when he got the reception he did at his first warm up. Can't wait to hear the South Stand when he's first subbed on. 

I think he'd have been on last weekend had Thomson not got injured. He's done really well during the last 6 months or so to make sure he's not getting dragged into anything daft. He's not one to get swayed by others his age, and he's reaping the rewards of his efforts.

I know this is a different tangent to your point but it's important to reiterate, he's not there on work experience or as a fan experience. He had opportunities with Stirling and Peterhead - you don't get offers to jump up from amateur level if you've not got some substance there. 

Edited by Broken Algorithms

48 minutes ago, Broken Algorithms said:

I know this is a different tangent to your point but it's important to reiterate, he's not there on work experience or as a fan experience. He had opportunities with Stirling and Peterhead - you don't get offers to jump up from amateur level if you've not got some substance there. 

A very good point. And, if we can take him at his word on his own skillset, it sounds like he'll be a legitimate alternative to Liam Dick, at least stylistically. 

Music to my ears to hear a fullback saying he likes to open up and get running forward. 

The atmosphere our young fans bring to matches is, overall, welcome. However, I was glad today that this nonsense of running onto the pitch was, mostly (apart from 4-5 idiots), controlled. Most of the youngsters were disciplined, content enough to just gather at the bottom, and they do heighten the atmosphere, there is no doubt about that. 

It's uncomfortable booing your own fans, but I think overall it was right that those 4 or 5 idiots who did run onto the pitch were booed and, essentially, shamed. There is one kid in particular who is a wee bit of a ringleader, and if I were the club I'd be finding out who he is and having a wee word with his parents (assuming he's got a free season ticket linked to an adult).

Back to the match, not a great performance by any means for most of the 90 minutes, a poor referee, but a great goal by Gullan and finally we have broken the ICT curse in the league. I hope Stanton isn't hurt too badly and is back for the next match.

Only 5 games in, but we have every reason to be confident about the season ahead. Come on the Rovers!

7 minutes ago, Ro Sham Bo said:

I would be finding out who the ones on the pitch today were and telling them they're not welcome back at the ground. Absolute scum the lot of them. 

Bit harsh, they're just young kids and the future of our club. A word with them should suffice

It's frustrating that they've done it again, especially when we've just got rid of a significant hoodoo and the focus should be on the players and management. They were warned well before that they shouldn't be on the pitch, and you've folk in the stands telling them they shouldn't go on the pitch. They run on and then half them look surprised when folk start calling them wee shitebags. Next home game get someone up the back telling them how much they're costing the club each time they do it. Everyone wants a better atmosphere at the game, and most of them were fine, but they've reached a point where they're taking the piss. 

It might be an idea to get the stewards to stop them actually moving from the back of the stand before ft. They can't do anything about it if they are at the front so make it clear they need to remain in their seats until after the ft whistle or they will receive a ban. That would be better than watching half hearted attempts by the stewards to stop them hoping the wall. 

36 minutes ago, keyser_soze said:

Bit harsh, they're just young kids and the future of our club. A word with them should suffice

Scum was too strong granted, but I would definitely be revoking their tickets. They were warned before the end and still did it and then a couple seemed to be goading the home support when they were booed. I know they're just young, but they're clearly idiots who cannot behave themselves unsupervised. 

11 minutes ago, grumswall said:

I'm going to confidently state we won't be relegated this season... I do have a bet on the position we will finish in but I'll keep that to myself for now. 

The best about this season is that even someone like me, who is constantly paranoid about being relegated, can see that's not going to be an issue this season. Happy days! 

8 minutes ago, Ro Sham Bo said:

The best about this season is that even someone like me, who is constantly paranoid about being relegated, can see that's not going to be an issue this season. Happy days! 

Let's wait to see how you react to our first loss before getting carried away now