The New Raith Rovers Thread

Matthews is the obvious answer to that but he's been out so long it's only natural for him to take time to get up to speed/ back in to his rhythm, not that he's done much wrong in his two appearances so far beyond the odd wayward pass. 

1 minute ago, grumswall said:

Matthews is the obvious answer to that but he's been out so long it's only natural for him to take time to get up to speed/ back in to his rhythm, not that he's done much wrong in his two appearances so far beyond the odd wayward pass. 

There were more than him guilty of this today.

1 hour ago, Raith Against The Machine said:

This sounds like a criticism or a dig and I really don't mean it as one, but I wouldn't have said Airdrie's bettering of us has anything to do with "better football", at least not in the way that most people would think of it. I'd go as far as saying what Airdrie have done with the ball, in all of the games, has been fairly unspectacular. 

However, where McCabe has been lightyears ahead of Murray is what Airdrie do when they don't have the ball. There's not another team in the division that are better organised or more disciplined when they're defending. Any time the Rovers had the ball, Airdrie dropped into their shape and stuck to it. It completely nullified the Rovers. 

I'm worried that I sound like I'm damning Airdrie with faint praise, because I really don't mean to be. It's not negative, it's incredibly clever. This Rovers team thrives in the spaces that teams leave when they start to close us down, and Airdrie basically don't. They'll let us have the ball and just close off all the outballs. How often did you see Byrne or Brown turning the ball across to Dick or Millen, only to get it back again? 

Without Sam Stanton to drive through the middle, we were relying on an inch perfect through pass for Vaughan or Smith to run onto (who's supplying that?) or for Easton or Mullin to beat their man. It's not really Mullin's game, and Easton was up against the excellent Megwa. 

I thought before the game that Aidan Connolly would've been a better option than Josh Mullin for this one and I stand by that, and Jack Hamilton might've given us another dimension up front, but regardless, Airdrie absolutely won that game by playing to their strengths and nullifying ours. 

With forwards like Todorov and McGill you're always (a) going to have an out ball and (b) going to be a threat, and so it proved. 

Good post, all very fair points. I wasn’t trying to say we played total football today or in any of the previous games, it was just something I was thinking about during the game today. I think most teams in this league would have Airdrie and Queen’s Park down as the two teams who like to keep possession and build from the back the most (not that that equates to better football specifically of course, I was using the term quite flippantly) and just thought it was interesting that Raith seemed to struggle to get the better of them.

1 minute ago, Zen Archer (Raconteur) said:

There were more than him guilty of this today.

Definitely and again, considering how long he's been out, it will take him time to get all of that stuff right. 

Tough watch that today.

Knew we would miss Stanton but didn’t think we’d miss him as much as we are.We miss him both

defensively-winning balls high up the park, picking up 2nd balls and working back

attacking - finding the space,creating space for others, goals and assists

Everything that was missing today.

Obviously don’t know what fitness levels/injuries were with players that started but thought Murray got subs wrong.

The mass subbing seemed a bit much for me-with Matthews for Murray was not what the team needed at that point losing the drive and presence of Brown in the middle of the park.Corr for Murray would’ve been my choice.

Thought Connolly, Hamilton n Gullan were all ineffective when they came on.

I would’ve gave Hannah a run at left back for last 10 instead of McGill as well-nothing to lose at that point and would’ve gave us more balance and a far better option down that side.

Poor from Millen at end as well-could’ve done with that fight during the game rather than after it.

Still top but things need to improve.

I think today's defeat has been coming in fairness. Since the Dundee United game we sem to have lost something. 

Today we were just second best in the first half, Airdrie were very well drilled, disciplined and played good football on the deck. 

Second half we were a lot better but just didn't make their keeper work. 

Few points about today and in general.

Ross Millen has probanly had this coming, he toes the line between bamming up the opposition amd crossing the line. Today the ref was a fussy c**t booking all manner of trivial shite so to get involved in anything at the end is sheer stupidity. 

Our defence will change yet again for next week due to injury, suspension and possibly O'Reilly moving on. Murray might have to bite the bullet and use Corr and/or Masson regardless of them potentially tially making mistakes. 

Watson has been injured for ages, Murray gets recurring injuries, Millen out for f**k knows how long. 

Easton has not been the same since Tannadice for whatever reason be it fitness or form. 

Just in general our passing has dropped off a cliff in recent games. 

We really miss Sam Stanton, Matthews is probably the closest replacement but he's been out for nearly a year so will take time. 

This week is time for a reset, the management team to sit down with the tactics board and have a good think about options and contingencies. 

Oh to be a fly on the wall of the away dressing room this afternoon. 

That starting line up looked like a basic 442 that we haven't played in a while. Scott Brown doesn't have the pace for a 3 player midfield. He was though the only one making moves at throw inns and trying to drive us on. The rest were static. Byrne for me today was like a player missing. This was screaming for a back 3 and two wingers. We began to threaten (slightly) when Connolly and Hamilton came on. Up until then the ball was either stopping in midfield as we had no width or the keeper having to kick long as Airdrie pushed up on the defence. Easton was also a passanger today,hardly in the game but seemed to be continually pushed out wide in the first half.  I hope in the challange Cup game that every player on the bench today gets 90 minutes. If O'Reilly is allowed to leave in January unless it's a move to a higher club imo the Manager needs his head looked at. On a positive note McNeil didn't do his chances any harm and never put a foot wrong. 

Edited by foreverarover

6 minutes ago, foreverarover said:

That starting line up looked like a basic 442 that we haven't played in a while. Scott Brown doesn't have the pace for a 3 player midfield. He was though the only one making moves at throw inns and trying to drive us on. The rest were static. Byrne for me today was like a player missing. This was screaming for a back 3 and two wingers. We began to threaten (slightly) when Connolly and Hamilton came on. Up until then the ball was either stopping in midfield as we had no width or the keeper having to kick long as Airdrie pushed up on the defence. Easton was also a passanger today,hardly in the game but seemed to be continually pushed out wide in the first half.  I hope in the challange Cup game that every player on the bench today gets 90 minutes. If O'Reilly is allowed to leave in January unless it's a move to a higher club imo the Manager needs his head looked at. On a positive note McNeil didn't do his chances any harm and never put a foot wrong. 

I agree if numbers and availability allow it I’d go 343 and try pin them back they could only defend well for so long if they are under the cosh but it’ll be the same 4231/4132 we get out played and over ran then they score and we don’t have answer to it 

Anyone else have the corner pet hate that most teams leaves a player up against us but we never do it against the opposition? I know we’ve been doing it for years but surely at some point we’ve to do it it’s no like Mullin or Vaughan are aerial threats or that so if some likes them stays up incase of dodgey bounce/clearance could cause problems 

Corr/Masson need to get out on loan. No point sitting on bench if manager doesn’t rate either of them. Before corrs injury he looked decent. O’Reilly has been good but he is a liability at times which showed today and he was very lucky not to get a red card. IMO this is why he struggled to get club before us. His record for yellow/red cards is crazy. 

how can young ladies get experience if they don’t get played? Why take Corr when other clubs were interested (report from when he first signed) yet not use him? This is the ladies life’s on the line here. M

either play them both or loan them out 

11 minutes ago, SerieA said:

Jesus those highlights don’t do Millen or Mullin any favours for the Airdrie goal 

Millen should’ve let the ball go out there imo with a blind clearance it was always gonna cause bother 

44 minutes ago, RRFC_Liam said:

I agree if numbers and availability allow it I’d go 343 and try pin them back they could only defend well for so long if they are under the cosh but it’ll be the same 4231/4132 we get out played and over ran then they score and we don’t have answer to it 

Airdrie kept pinging the ball into our lb area because mcgill went on to be more attacking. They had our number tactically, probably because Murray was their manager for so long. 

18 minutes ago, mrraith71 said:

Corr/Masson need to get out on loan. No point sitting on bench if manager doesn’t rate either of them. Before corrs injury he looked decent. O’Reilly has been good but he is a liability at times which showed today and he was very lucky not to get a red card. IMO this is why he struggled to get club before us. His record for yellow/red cards is crazy. 

how can young ladies get experience if they don’t get played? Why take Corr when other clubs were interested (report from when he first signed) yet not use him? This is the ladies life’s on the line here. M

either play them both or loan them out 

Masson isn't good enough. He will be playing at a far lower level than this next season. Corr has been unlucky that we're challenging for the league though. I think he does have a decent future ahead of him but will need game time. 

I'm not sure Watson is actually the answer to our defensive issues either. We're best when we go and attack teams. We can set up to defend and play very well but we're a better team when we attack, gain a lead and then we can try and manage the game to a win. 

9 minutes ago, RRFC_Liam said:

I have seen that the Daily Ranger has us, Dundee United and Partick all bidding for……. Wait for it…. Dom Thomas 🤦‍♂️

Not someome I'd like to see in a Raith strip.

I’ve been doing a bit of research for potential incomings in this window, so I’ve look at a few premiership squads to see if players that might be available for a loan/free transfer 

theres Kyle Turner from Ross County hardly getting any minutes can play in the 6/8 and the “Stanton role” and that baffonn Adam’s is back there so probably won’t get anymore, would anyone take him? 

Dundee if we’re looking at pacey wingers then the obvious 2 are Tiffoney and Reilly then if it’s CH then possibly Lee Ashcroft if O’Reilly goes? Got experience in this league and has won it 

Left back is the obvious one Lewis Stevenson that’s been banded about

also to throw into the winger category Gary MacKay Steven I think his contract is up these are just a few names that thought be interesting 

Edited by RRFC_Liam