The New Raith Rovers Thread

18 minutes ago, pub car king said:

Just put of interest, how much of that Airdrie team is still players Murray recruited? 

McCabe has done a great job pushing them on but looks like he had a solid foundation to build on. 

A bit like Jimmy Nic when he took over Frank Connors team. 

Good point.

The foundations left by MyGlynn for Murray were like the RAAC - looked sturdy but quickly showed cracks and eventually cost a fortune to put right

Edited by Beastie Russell

Turner was subbed on at the half, and consigned to what was effectively one of the DM roles. That’s something he’s not done well previously, but he had a quite decent go. Now, contrast that with some of his other appearances, and we can see clearly that Airdrie are playing tactically different than our other opponents this year. This is quickly confirmed when we note Airdrie took 10 of 12 points off us this year. That suggests our management’s failure to adapt was more to blame than the players.

Meanwhile, if we had duplicated our usual performance versus everyone else bar Arbroath/DU in the league versus Airdrie, we’d have an extra 6-9 points and still be above DU on the table, so anyone attacking our team/manager as inadequate seems to be barking up the wrong tree.

I’ll say it again, Airdrie have played IM perfectly this year. They understand his psyche, and they countered his strategy and tactics perfectly. I would expect that won’t work as well the next season they face him, as he will eventually evolve beyond his current predictability to players who worked with him. McCabe spent a year being taught by IM, and learnt his lessons very well, it’s just unfortunate that he got to exercise HIS abilities this season against us and IM.

Some of you need to have a word with yourselves.

You're on for your best season in decades, and at very worst you'll be two knockout games away from the Premiership. Plus we still have a tendency to bottle things from here.

This Airdrie side absolutely embarrassed us at Tannadice only a few weeks ago as well, so it's fair to say McCabe has a knack for beating the better sides in the division.

1 hour ago, pub car king said:

Just put of interest, how much of that Airdrie team is still players Murray recruited? 

McCabe has done a great job pushing them on but looks like he had a solid foundation to build on. 

A bit like Jimmy Nic when he took over Frank Connors team. 

McCabe himself, Calum Fordyce, Calum Callagher, Adam Frizzell, Craig Watson, Gabby McGill and David Hutton, of our current playing squad, were signed by Murray.  Hutton is really more of a coach and now only comes on as a sub when Rae is injured sent off, and Rae - one of McCabe's signings - is the first choice goalkeeper when fit. 

15 hours ago, SerieA said:

😂😂 come on he ain’t saving any of those goals tonight. I will apologise if the replays say otherwise.

I do agree that he is poor at cross balls and worse with at kicking/balls at his feet.

I won’t be apologising.No chance for any goals.

13 minutes ago, SerieA said:

Watching highlights I know there was issues with both goals in 1st half but what was Hamilton doing at the 2nd goal-poor forward play.

Though not 100% from the highlights, I don't hear a shout to Hamilton that he's not got time to bring the ball down, which I think he's trying to do. He's probably felt no pressure and adjusted to bring the ball to feet (where we should be putting balls into him) but he's totally outsmarted by the defender. That said, one header bypasses our midfield, takes out one defender who didn't want to challenge for it and gives Frizzell a run at goal. Really amateur stuff. 

I do feel for Hamilton, what we're asking him to do is not his game, he's up front alone against two or three big defenders and no support trying to get in behind for any flicks he wins. Connolly doesn't have the ability/speed to get in behind, Easton doesn't want to and Stanton is the only one capable. As a defender when a ball is lumped up, you don't have to win the duel, you just need to make sure the striker doesn't. Its not difficult.

Like I said last night, we have to decide how we want to play with Hamilton in the side. If we want him to win flick ons then Smith, Vaughan, Rudden and Mullin are the best to have around him to get in behind. If we want to play the ball off him and get him chances then Easton and Connolly are better picks. Or we drop/sell him on in the summer. 

Watson is partially at fault for every goal. Pathetic attempts at closing down for every one. 

Special mention to Byrne for the first goal and Hamilton and Brown for the second. All of them going in with the heart of a pea for their respective challenges.

22 minutes ago, Ro Sham Bo said:

Watson is partially at fault for every goal. Pathetic attempts at closing down for every one. 

Special mention to Byrne for the first goal and Hamilton and Brown for the second. All of them going in with the heart of a pea for their respective challenges.

Nbc Brooklyn 99 GIF by Brooklyn Nine-Nine

1 hour ago, CountryBumpkin said:

I do feel for Hamilton, what we're asking him to do is not his game, he's up front alone against two or three big defenders and no support trying to get in behind for any flicks he wins. Connolly doesn't have the ability/speed to get in behind

If you watch our games CountryBumpkin you will see that when Connolly plays, he is asked to come all the way back to his own box to defend, which he does with good effect most of the time.  Sadly he cannot be back tackling in his own box, then one second later be standing off Hamilton in the opposition box waiting for a flick on when the ball has been simply booted up the park.

I think it is the way Murray is playing Connolly that makes him look out of position.  I'm sure it was on record somewhere that, according to his data vest, he was one of our quickest players.  Maybe you can enlighten us TX?  

However, Quickest player or not, he would need a blue suit and a red cape to be everywhere Murray expects him to be.  I therefore think it's a wee bit harsh to question his ability or speed CB?

I really like Connolly and he definitely has a part to play for us over the rest of the season.

My biggest issue is with his inability to cross with his right foot.  There were so many times last night where there was an obvious pass through the channel between LB and CB for him to run onto then get a cross over.  However, he stayed short and wide every time so he could then try to cut back on to his left.  We knew he was going to do it and so did the Airdrie defenders.  I don't really blame him if he isn't confident in his ability to put a decent cross in with his right foot (surely he'll be working on this in training though) but it just baffles me why we almost never try playing him on the left. 

15 minutes ago, AllanJM said:

I really like Connolly and he definitely has a part to play for us over the rest of the season.

My biggest issue is with his inability to cross with his right foot.  There were so many times last night where there was an obvious pass through the channel between LB and CB for him to run onto then get a cross over.  However, he stayed short and wide every time so he could then try to cut back on to his left.  We knew he was going to do it and so did the Airdrie defenders.  I don't really blame him if he isn't confident in his ability to put a decent cross in with his right foot (surely he'll be working on this in training though) but it just baffles me why we almost never try playing him on the left. 

Connolly might as well not have a right foot he will not under any circumstances use it at all. 

Easton has improved his use of his weaker foot this season by contrast. 

1 hour ago, Arthur Reid McDermott said:

If you watch our games CountryBumpkin you will see that when Connolly plays, he is asked to come all the way back to his own box to defend, which he does with good effect most of the time.  Sadly he cannot be back tackling in his own box, then one second later be standing off Hamilton in the opposition box waiting for a flick on when the ball has been simply booted up the park.

I think it is the way Murray is playing Connolly that makes him look out of position.  I'm sure it was on record somewhere that, according to his data vest, he was one of our quickest players.  Maybe you can enlighten us TX?  

However, Quickest player or not, he would need a blue suit and a red cape to be everywhere Murray expects him to be.  I therefore think it's a wee bit harsh to question his ability or speed CB?

I'm fully aware of his defensive duties and sitting deep to defend, but if you watch the games whenever Connolly is in possession or chasing a ball, he's not quick or able to get in behind the defender. Its not a slight on him as a player, its just not his game. Connolly, and I do like him as a player, is a ball to feet player who needs people around him to create space to cut inside and hit a shot or put a ball in the box. 

40 minutes ago, pub car king said:

Connolly might as well not have a right foot he will not under any circumstances use it at all. 

Easton has improved his use of his weaker foot this season by contrast. 

He did whip in a cross first half last night using his right foot. No one on the end of it mind, but still. 

3 hours ago, Ray Patterson said:

You're on for your best season in decades, and at very worst you'll be two knockout games away from the Premiership. Plus we still have a tendency to bottle things from here.

This Airdrie side absolutely embarrassed us at Tannadice only a few weeks ago as well, so it's fair to say McCabe has a knack for beating the better sides in the division.

This in fukin spades

Some seem to forget where we were for the last god knows how many seasons

Irrespective of how this season pans out its been a massive improvement on and off the park

At the start of the game, why was Easton playing so far back?

At times he was behind Dick and not running past for the overlap. 

When he did get the ball, there were 3 or 4 players surrounding him. I would have had him on as a late sub.

We certainly got our tatties in the 1st half but improved drastically in the 2nd. If only Connollys shot went in, I felt we could've went on to win it. Of course we left ourselves too open and got hit with the suckered punch.

Couldn't believe some of the shouts from the crowd last night. Guy in front of me hollering at the board that they've got what they wanted by being in the playoffs. 🤔 As if it's a bad thing considering where we've been. 

5 hours ago, Ray Patterson said:

This very much sums it up, I dread to think where we would be if the new owners had never got involved and we were left with John Sim tightening the purse strings even more, we've certainly come on leaps and bounds since they did though, both on and of the park, the fan base has nearly doubled, the media team with their quirky gifs etc has certainly got peoples attention for one reason or another, as everybodys talking about it, the RTV stream us one of the best in the leagues and the catering is making money for us instead of someone else, more good times ahead whether we make it up or not. 

4 minutes ago, SirJimmyofNic said:

This very much sums it up, I dread to think where we would be if the new owners had never got involved and we were left with John Sim tightening the purse strings even more, we've certainly come on leaps and bounds since they did though, both on and of the park, the fan base has nearly doubled, the media team with their quirky gifs etc has certainly got peoples attention for one reason or another, as everybodys talking about it, the RTV stream us one of the best in the leagues and the catering is making money for us instead of someone else, more good times ahead whether we make it up or not. 

This was last season can't find this year's but we will more or less double our prize money from the league this season. 

Screenshot_20240410_192403_Samsung Internet.jpg