The New Raith Rovers Thread

The whole performance was disjointed, it's like the defence, midfield and attack don't know how to work with each other.

The main positive was Dabo, light years better than Freeman and really has to start every game going forward. Some might disagree but I thought Hamilton was ok again, he just doesn't seem to have anyone who can read his play. Maybe him and Vaughan could work together but neither of them are fit long enough to try that out. Easton tried hard again but he still wants to beat an extra man before shooting or passing.

Thankfully we have 2 weeks to get this sorted out, Queen Park is now looking like a very important game.

35 minutes ago, SirJimmyofNic said:

We put far too much reliance on Stanton, and really should've had cover of the same calibre for him

There is no cover of the same calibre as him in this league. And certainly not one that would come in to be considered "cover" and be content with a place on the bench.

Something has to change to get more out of the squad we have so we can limp by into January and hopefully make a few additions and departures. For me Connolly should be gone in January, he was excellent two years ago but he's a shadow of that player and contributes very little going forward. We're either not using him properly, or he's not up to this level now. Its painful watching him try and sprint past anyone, its like watching a toddler chasing an adult at times. 

Mullin is another wage we can free up. I believe both he and Connolly are in their final year but both have a 3rd year option. If thats the case, decline that and move them on. 

I would expect both Montagu and Nicolson to be loaned out in the January window as neither are featuring on the bench unless we have injuries, but neither are realistically playing. Similarly Gibson, I think if we had a fully fit squad, he'd not be on the bench right now along with a.n. other. Is there much point having him around and not out getting more game time? He's an experienced lad for his age, but clearly not the managers pick to come on.

23 minutes ago, Brashy's Boots said:

I agree on Jamieson. From what I've seen, Gibson offers far more, yet seems frozen out. With Gibson and Pollock, we could play a wide game as well as a direct one, but persist with the blunt instrument. Puzzling.

Pollock was awful today. He's at best a work in progress, but not a player you can rely on week in, week out. With Connolly looking like a shadow of his former self and Mullin offering little enough in the way of direct attacking ability I struggle to see how we will set out to actually bother sides.

Edited by renton

With the exception of Dabo, this is Murrays/Potters/Barrowmans squad not Collins' he has to try and work with what he has and get them playing the way he wants (which would have been explained to the BoD), it is a transition season for the club and I would expect us to be clear of a relegation battle come the end of the season.

Connolly, Murray, Dick and Easton are welcome to leave in the January window, they shouldn't be anywhere near the first team if we are serious about mounting a challenge next season.

I wont judge Collins until he has a window (assuming there is any budget) and some of the Billy Big Boots at the club better get their heads out of their arses and start doing what they are paid for. It's the Scottish Championship FFS, not La Liga!

1 minute ago, lgb61 said:

With the exception of Dabo, this is Murrays/Potters/Barrowmans squad not Collins' he has to try and work with what he has and get them playing the way he wants (which would have been explained to the BoD), it is a transition season for the club and I would expect us to be clear of a relegation battle come the end of the season.

Connolly, Murray, Dick and Easton are welcome to leave in the January window, they shouldn't be anywhere near the first team if we are serious about mounting a challenge next season.

I wont judge Collins until he has a window (assuming there is any budget) and some of the Billy Big Boots at the club better get their heads out of their arses and start doing what they are paid for. It's the Scottish Championship FFS, not La Liga!

Why?

That was turgid.

Lack of firepower can be summed up by Hamilton not getting a shot away when through on goal. Came out in the second half asleep, a common trait with this squad.

We need to be ruthless. Connolly apart from being the most one footed player I’ve seen, just seems to have lost it. Tries his all but no end product and gives the ball away. Mullin, release. Jamieson send back please. Matthews shouldn’t be starting.

Not mentioned Freeman as no point. He'll not feature again unless Dabo is unfit / injured. That lad looked levels above in 20 minutes, fizzed a lovely ball across after skinning his man that just needed prodded home.

Collins needs to sort the chance creation over the next 2 weeks or I’ll doubt he’ll make it to Xmas.

The support is matching the team, flat as fook. Where’s the young team went ? 

Seems to be a real problem with this team at present.

Players not chasing opposing players down, seemingly not working hard enough without the ball.

Also failure to find a team mate when clearing the ball.

Too many things seem to be going wrong all at once.

In need of a minor miracle in the next two weeks.

16 minutes ago, lgb61 said:

Which division?

22 minutes ago, lgb61 said:

The first 3 games I agree with, but Easton? Aye he wasn’t at his best today but everytime he got the ball 2/3 ment around him and playing in that central role with that around you is difficult, Jamieson I could add to that list, same with Freeman there’s a few names either past it, not the same, not good enough or can’t be arsed 

25 minutes ago, renton said:

Pollock was awful today. He's at best a work in progress, but not a player you can rely on week in, week out. With Connolly looking like a shadow of his former self and Mullin offering little enough in the way of direct attacking ability I struggle to see how we will set out to actually bother sides.

Didn't see the game today, so I'll take your word for it. Commentary said they were doubling up on him a lot, so that might have disrupted his game.

My main point remains the same - let's see more of Gibson and less of Jamieson.

4 minutes ago, CountryBumpkin said:

Not sure if its telling or not that we have no post match interview. Has Collins used that time to rip into his players and keep them in the changing room?

Hes maybe decided hes had enough 😂

57 minutes ago, mrpaddyx said:

The whole performance was disjointed, it's like the defence, midfield and attack don't know how to work with each other.

The main positive was Dabo, light years better than Freeman and really has to start every game going forward. Some might disagree but I thought Hamilton was ok again, he just doesn't seem to have anyone who can read his play. Maybe him and Vaughan could work together but neither of them are fit long enough to try that out. Easton tried hard again but he still wants to beat an extra man before shooting or passing.

Thankfully we have 2 weeks to get this sorted out, Queen Park is now looking like a very important game.

I've always thought this about Hamilton. He needs support and someone to run off him. It came always be the number 10 be it Vaughan, Stanton or Easton, it has to also be from the right and left. If we had pace either side and tricky number 10 then they will feed off him. Backed up by good support from the wing backs and potentially one of the "sitting" midfielders. It all comes down to a lack of structure and balance in the team which is just not right at the moment. 

2 minutes ago, Ding Dang Doo said:

I've always thought this about Hamilton. He needs support and someone to run off him. It came always be the number 10 be it Vaughan, Stanton or Easton, it has to also be from the right and left. If we had pace either side and tricky number 10 then they will feed off him. Backed up by good support from the wing backs and potentially one of the "sitting" midfielders. It all comes down to a lack of structure and balance in the team which is just not right at the moment. 

I agree. I think we can get that from Easton, Pollock and one other on the right more often than not, but it only works if Hamilton is fit and we have a runner from midfield to stop players doubling up on us. Thats the bit we struggle with as none of our midfielders at that person. 

32 minutes ago, Brashy's Boots said:

Didn't see the game today, so I'll take your word for it. Commentary said they were doubling up on him a lot, so that might have disrupted his game.

My main point remains the same - let's see more of Gibson and less of Jamieson.

Aye, they were but his response was always to try and force his way through and then lose it.

21 minutes ago, CALDERON said:

Anyone who is looking any further ahead than 8th place as the main target this season is deluded.

Aye, would bite your hand off for 8th now.