The New Raith Rovers Thread

A Campbell Brothers central defensive partnership would be tougher than the soles of Ghandi's feet, but it'd also be slower than the arrangements for our next AGM, and have as many good knees as a basket of snakes. You could effectively rule out us conceding a single header all year, but a pacey striker with quick feet could go straight through our central defence like a javelin through a toddler.

Some cracking metaphors in that paragraph.

Goalkeeper wise a new back-up might be needed, I like Gary O but I wouldn't be confident with playing him. We've been lucky McGurn hasn't had an injury - any new keepers should be told before signing they're going to have to be exceptional in training to get a regular game.

I think our defence is fine as it is, unsure about Gathuessi. A new left back wouldn't anger me, but that's not to say I don't like Laurie. If Campbell is going to be fit, we have three very, very capable centre backs who all deserve to play. Wilson is a solid right back and Murray is capable of covering there if he can't play. If Campbell isn't going to be fit we could do with another CB.

Midfield is a bit more complicated. If we're talking absolute first choice, everyone fit and at the top of their game I think a Tadé-Simmons-Walker-Smith midfield would serve us well. However, that doesn't happen, so I would like to see a new winger, preferably left, and central midfielder come into things. McGlynn will definitely keep Davidson, Simmons and Walker though so I don't see a CM coming in. He'll also have Williamson in addtition to the five players mentioned, so I think one maybe two wingers will be the extent of our midfield signings, considering Murray can fill in there.

Up front is obviously the problem area. If Baird has signed, that's great. He's hardly bene prolific in his career but if McGlynn was impressed enough to give him a PCA I'll trust his judgement - certainly, he took his second and Airdrie's third against us very well in the recent match. We do need another striker though, preferably someone who can hold the ball up with an eye for goal - Kevin Smith would fit the bill perfectly. In addition to Weir and Tadé that'd probably do us.

I don't expect us to be worrying the sides at the top next season, and I'm realistic enough to realise a 7th/8th finish wouldn't be a disaster by any stretch of the imagination, but I'd like to see us progress into mid-table mediocrity with no worries over relegation at any stage. We've got the right man to help us do that. Things are looking up!

Ah. Not McAllister then.

I never rated McManus. It should be admitted in saying that that I was out of the country for most of the 2005/06 season when he had his best year for us, but nonetheless it's footballing grounds only that make me not interested in having him back, nothing to do with the way he left before. (With which I didn't have a problem.)

I never rated McManus. It should be admitted in saying that that I was out of the country for most of the 2005/06 season when he had his best year for us, but nonetheless it's footballing grounds only that make me not interested in having him back, nothing to do with the way he left before. (With which I didn't have a problem.)

The fact he's a horrible little ned doesn't take anything away from the fact he's doesn't know the offside rule, and is nowhere near good enough for this level. I'd cry if we signed him, not that it'll be an issue, both because of the way he left last time (like you Yoss no real problem with it) and because John McGlynn knows a good player when he see's one.

I think we might get Kevin Smith. I don't see why, when he has Cadamerteri, Sandaza, Casalinuovo, Goodwillie, Daly, Shala and maybe even Russell, as well as any new strikers United sign in the summer, ahead of him in the pecking order he'd want to stay with them. He's not a young lad any more, he's at the stage of his career where he needs to play regular football at a good level or he's in or a career of Second/Third Division football. Maybe he'll look into getting his contract terminated, and he clearly loved it with the Rovers. Maybe I'm just being blindly optimistic though.

I would imagine that if John McGlynn wants him, and I don't see why he wouldn't, United wouldn't stand in the way of Kevin Smith returning to the Rovers. The big question is whether they'd let him go back out on loan, or prefer to just have him off the books.

Another loan would just be bizarre. It's getting to the point where it's starting to look like their keeping him on to save us money and get him better treatment for injuries, rather than we're taking him to help his development.

It just seems like he's been at United long enough for them to have decided whether or not he's good enough to be a United player.

He'll surely get a fair bit more money by seeing out the last year of his contract up there though, unless United are so keen to get rid that they'd pay him off. Or unless he's very selfless.

We'd only be able to loan him for a limited period, again.

I'm very unsure about Thierry. In patches, he looks a class above this level and in others he looks god damn awful. If McGlynn feels he can get the best out of him consistently then I think we'll see Thierry next season, otherwise, it's Division 2 or oblivion for Thierry.

The core of a decent side is there, it's just the question of adding a few players.

McGurn

Wilson - Campbell - Murray - Ellis

Tadé - Walker - New CM - New LW

New ST - New ST

I'd keep the rest of the players that I don't want to see released. A few of them (Williamson, Smith and Weir) are signed anyway. Were they not, I'd have let Weir go. I'm not really a fan of Williamson either, but he has chipped in with a few goals for us, in fairness.

A couple of things I do NOT want to see next season:

A Simmons and Davidson CM partnership

Allan Walker being punted out right to accomodate the above pairing

I agree with this.

As fans, we sometimes become too attached to players in our colours and reluctant to let any of them go but we need to progress and we won't do that with central midfielders like Davidson & Simmons. Sorry, but I really think we need to find a better balance for our midfield which frequently hamstrung us this season. The team needs to be comfortable playing through the middle of the park and I haven't found either of these 2 very capable in that department. Walker is clearly head and shoulders above either and would flourish further with someone on his wavelength to share the burden.

Now obviously our lack of goals this season reflects badly on our midfield and there is some credence to the thinking that getting a couple of decent strikers would make our existing centre mids job a lot easier but i'm convinced taking the next step means that holy grail of the Scottish 1st Division; a goal-scoring midfielder. There, I said it!

We do have a strong base to build on and as another poster noted above, the targets for strikers are crucial - they NEED to be strikers only, not guys that can play in a couple of positions. I can't stress enough our need for a penalty box poacher.

So, a goal-scoring midfielder and a 15-goal-a-season striker.

Not something any other team in this division will be looking for then :rolleyes:

Wouldn't want McManus back either. Dundee United should just let us have Kev! Put a buy back clause in his contract or something? Haha! :P

It's difficult to really see whats actually going to happen with the squad. Now we are definately going to be playing First Division football next season, I'd hope McGlynn can start negotiatiations with players such McGurn and Campbell. Iv e seen Baird score 3 goals against us this season and looks promising. Airdrie fans say he can be inconsistent but hopefully McGlynn would be able to get the best out of him assuming he signs.

I would also like to keep Ferry. The guy has been quite a servant in his 2 years at the club. He is versatile, can play wing back, centre mid and at a push out wide. He has a decent footballing brain...although he is a bit on the slow side, he generally does know what to do with a football.

Sloan is a funny one. He hasn't fitted into our best 11 this season...this to me would suggest he won't be with us that much longer.

Amaya? McGlynn obviously doesn't rate the guy. It's a shame because in the flashes I have seen him he has been quite good on the ball, good strength and touch. Even scored on his first start for the club! So the mind boggles on that one. I would personally keep him, but its not my decision to make.

I would assume that Russell, Gathuessi, Armstrong and Shields won't be offered anything in the summer. But least they have 3 games to sort of play their way into contention so to speak. (Armstrong obviously just the 2)

Players I would keep:

McGurn

Campbell

Wilson

Hill

Bert

Tade

Walker

Ellis

Ferry

Davidson

Darren Smith

At a push :

Williamson

Simmons

Williamson needs to man up a bit and Simmons needs to sort his self out with regard to discipline.

Weir is here for another year so I suppose we have to keep him as well.

We have to look for another striker. This is a must. It's a shame Mole is only really used up top himself. I would like him to maybe return next season on loan or whatever. Russell is a player who I like as well. He has good feet and has potential. maybe another loan deal for him. It all depends on the parent clubs I guess. If Simmons, Walker or Davidson leave (unlikely) then I'd like to see Trouten in a Raith shirt next season. I can't really think off the top of my head who else has impressed me this season though. I'll see Queens on Wednesday night for the first time, I'll have a look at them.

Whatever happens, I'm sure McGlynn will have something up his sleeve. The man lives and breathes Raith Rovers Football Club. :D

Edited by Wardy

Good post, and I agree with your sentiments.

The only slight differing opinion I have, is that I'd keep Simmons for back-up purposes. If he'd find consistency he'd be an excellent player, but he does tend have games where he reminds me of Davidson, as he's culpable of a large number of misplaced passes. Him and Davidson are also completely incompatible in the middle, as they are similar players and get in each others way. My gut feeling, as I said, is that McGlynn will keep (and start) both next season. I don't think that entails utter disaster, but it's a big barrier to progress. The lack of creativity from midfield forces our striker(s) wide, and we all know what happens when there's no-one in the middle - no goals.

We'll be damn lucky with a goal scoring midfielder - they're incredibly rare at any level of the game, let alone our own! Tadé has chipped in with a few goals from midfield, so it's not all doom and gloom in that area. I'm confident he could return a similar tally if played wide-right next season.

Going forward is the issue we need to address. This means changes in midfield and up front.

We have to look for another striker. This is a must. It's a shame Mole is only really used up top himself. I would like him to maybe return next season on loan or whatever. Russell is a player who I like as well. He has good feet and has potential. maybe another loan deal for him. It all depends on the parent clubs I guess. If Simmons, Walker or Davidson leave (unlikely) then I'd like to see Trouten in a Raith shirt next season. I can't really think off the top of my head who else has impressed me this season though. I'll see Queens on Wednesday night for the first time, I'll have a look at them.

Russell has improved visibly during the season (well, I think so anyway) and I'd have him in a flash, but I'm imaging United will at least want to take another look at him themselves first.

Mole is a better player than we were initially warned we were getting, and it's looking unlikely that he's going to get anywhere with Hearts, so I wouldn't be entirely averse. He's not a goalscorer though.

McGlynn tried to sign Trouten a couple of years back and I thought we might go for him again last summer but heard no mention that we'd tried. So I don't know if McGlynn would still be interested or not. Looked a cracking little player in his Queens Park days but I can't say I've been aware of him looking that great in this division.

Good post, and I agree with your sentiments.

The only slight differing opinion I have, is that I'd keep Simmons for back-up purposes. If he'd find consistency he'd be an excellent player, but he does tend have games where he reminds me of Davidson, as he's culpable of a large number of misplaced passes. Him and Davidson are also completely incompatible in the middle, as they are similar players and get in each others way. My gut feeling, as I said, is that McGlynn will keep (and start) both next season. I don't think that entails utter disaster, but it's a big barrier to progress. The lack of creativity from midfield forces our striker(s) wide, and we all know what happens when there's no-one in the middle - no goals.

We'll be damn lucky with a goal scoring midfielder - they're incredibly rare at any level of the game, let alone our own! Tadé has chipped in with a few goals from midfield, so it's not all doom and gloom in that area. I'm confident he could return a similar tally if played wide-right next season.

Going forward is the issue we need to address. This means changes in midfield and up front.

We do, of course, possess a goal-scoring midfielder already but have hardly ever played him there. It is a real shame his chronic lack of pace hinders his selection as he's a terrific finisher.

We do, of course, possess a goal-scoring midfielder already but have hardly ever played him there. It is a real shame his chronic lack of pace hinders his selection as he's a terrific finisher.

Fellow Fezza lover! :D

I could kind of agree with that. McGlynn should try and play him through the centre with Walker for the Airdrie game. Give Davidson and Simmons a rest. We could just put Gathuessi at left back for comedy.

Fellow Fezza lover! :D

I could kind of agree with that. McGlynn should try and play him through the centre with Walker for the Airdrie game. Give Davidson and Simmons a rest. We could just put Gathuessi at left back for comedy.

I am a Fezza lover. He is the archetypal McGlynn player - versatile! In the right formation he can get us goals from midfield, of that I have no doubts. His arial ability is also a reason to keep.