The New Raith Rovers Thread

Regardless of whether it was Jim's decision to take a break or forced on him I'd like to thank him for all the effort he has put in. His pictures from games are superb and some of the ones of the travelling support have been classic.

The new website looks good and I agree a much needed refresh.

Just tried to go on the old website, and it seems it's been taken offline. All that hard work from so many people over the years - match reports, pictures, and especially match highlights - totally gone as if it never existed. :angry:

Hopefully in time they'll pass across to the new website, but somehow I doubt it.

Yes to all of that. Thanks to Jim for his terrific efforts. The new site looks good, and like Paco I hope they cna transfer the archive of match reports and old player details and everything across - I still refer back to those quite often and it'd be a shame to lose ten years of such an excellent resource.

Edited by Yoss

Lad on FanTalk raised a good point: Hosting on .net is far cheaper than hosting on .com.

Is it really? Buying a .net site might be cheaper than a .com site (maybe £15 a year at most) but hosting depends purely on your supplier.

I'm trying to watch the highlights of the last game on the new site. Is it just me, or is the video absolutely horrendous? It won't stream properly and is very juddery. Is anyone else having the same problem?

I'm trying to watch the highlights of the last game on the new site. Is it just me, or is the video absolutely horrendous? It won't stream properly and is very juddery. Is anyone else having the same problem?

Streamed ok on mines, although buffered a couple of times but nothing major, quality is gash though, looks like the cameraman has Parkinson's, not as good quality, as the footage when the college did it for us.

Interestingly though the match analysts footage of the 2nd goal is pretty good, can't we just use his footage? Also had to laugh at the cameraman and his assistant talking during filming...... "who is the Scotland manager?"

:D

Edited by RoversMad

No problem with streaming but the quality is very poor, not trying to have a dig at whoever does it but in terms of recent years this season has been nowhere near as good.

No problem with streaming but the quality is very poor, not trying to have a dig at whoever does it but in terms of recent years this season has been nowhere near as good.

Yeah, my post may have seemed like a dig at the folk doing it, it wasn't meant to be, I'm sure they do it for free so fair play.

On the issue of the sound though, you can hear the cameraman talking and the general sound quality is very poor, is it not fairly easy to put a couple of mics in the south stand?

Yeah, my post may have seemed like a dig at the folk doing it, it wasn't meant to be, I'm sure they do it for free so fair play.

On the issue of the sound though, you can hear the cameraman talking and the general sound quality is very poor, is it not fairly easy to put a couple of mics in the south stand?

After 5 minutes." Change it McGlynn" or "Use your subs McGlynn"

Not for me, sorry.

I hadn't noticed that the old fixtures database has disappeared. It was always good to relive some of the highlights of recent years like Wales' goals against Peterhead and Brechin, Ferry's late goals from the same season and of course our wins against the pars. There was also no better cure for a defeat than looking back at one of the match report from the Dalziel era to see how bad things could get. Hopefully the archive will be transferred over eventually.

I hadn't noticed that the old fixtures database has disappeared. It was always good to relive some of the highlights of recent years like Wales' goals against Peterhead and Brechin, Ferry's late goals from the same season and of course our wins against the pars. There was also no better cure for a defeat than looking back at one of the match report from the Dalziel era to see how bad things could get. Hopefully the archive will be transferred over eventually.

Fortunately, I think San Starko uploaded the goals against Dundee and Dunfermline new year game, as well as that Allan Walker header, up onto youtube. Utter glorious viewing, which never fails to cheer me up. The goal against Dundee has 13,000 views!

Fortunately, I think San Starko uploaded the goals against Dundee and Dunfermline new year game, as well as that Allan Walker header, up onto youtube. Utter glorious viewing, which never fails to cheer me up. The goal against Dundee has 13,000 views!

Good stuff. I'll need to check them out.

Re: Jim Foy and the website

For what it is worth, here is what I have heard...

The majority of the content on the old site was written by Jim Foy, the pictures were taken by Jim Foy, graphics were made by Jim Foy, the hosting was registered to Jim Foy etc. All this meant that, legaly, the website and the content were mainly owned by Jim Foy. Jim also was acting as editor to the website - choosing what was allowed and not. The club tried to address this by taking more control of the online content, something Jim didn't like. Fair play, he had been responsible for the lot for many a year, and put in a super-human amount of effort when the club didn't seem to give two hoots.

The new website is (from what I hear) intended to be solely edited and run from within the club & board room... this gives the club ownership and control. I also heard (rightly or wrongly) that the club wanted Jim to continue supplying content, but via the club... something which he didn't want to do. Ultimately the club didn't wan't to give him the free access that he has had for years.

I can understand both sides, but, perhaps, it could have been done a bit better.

Speaking of our esteemed board, I was told during the week that the pieman Mario Caria pays the Rovers £1000 a year for the catering at Stark's and pockets the profits, after all there bleating about being skint surely this can't be right?