The New Raith Rovers Thread

We should all be far from going into all out panic mode as the season hasn't kicked off and with our injuries etc, but one thing we need to sort is our consistency again this season, its seeming much like last season E.G beating Rangers 1 week to losing 3 Goals by just after HT at Home to Dumbarton the next. We played well Vs St Johnstone, but last night it was like "Men V Boys", all in the space of 3 days ... This has to stop, there's no mid-way performances, its always good/excellent or utter diabolical/suicidal .... Hopefully once a few lads are back in and we start to build on a solid first team and their performances weekly things will change, but as i said, Murray needs to try build some consistency, getting beat is acceptable in cases if you continue to play well and it was down to being unlucky on the night, but this "when we lose one we get humped" outlook needs to be flung out the window !

There is no point in panicking, or at least if we are going to panic, let's panic about the right things.

Firstly, in defence. Ellis is more or less finished at this level, but against slower strikers may still have something to offer, but anyone with any pace and he will get turned. In theory, that's ok, because he should be nowhere near that first team.

In midfield we can't play Callachan and Fox together. Callachan is Davidson in reverse, he's all about his physicality and pace, but his positional play isn't there at the moment - whereas Davidson did that in his own half, Callachan tries to do it in the opposiiton. It's no wonder his best games for us last season were as a wide midfielder on the right or as a free role in a three man midfield. As a result he too often doesn't pick the man up.

Added to that, Fox is not the most mobile and tends to either pick the man up, but then pass him on, or try and chase him but is too slow to do so. Is he worth keeping in the first team? he occasionally pings a good ball about, but he needs Moon alongside him to do the heavylifting.

Moon is probably our 'best' player overall. When he played against St Jonhstone was when we held the ball well, and actually exerted some control on midfield. When he went off, is when we started to get over run, I believe for reasons alluded to above. I think having Scott in there will help, but he hasn't played yet. This is crucial I think to getting movement off the ball, if central midfield is overrun and can't get a hold of the ball to recycle, then we end up trying to play over the top and it's not going to work with our forward line - If Moon is out, we should always think about a 3 man midfield to compensate.

IN the forward positions, Conroy looked decent enough on saturday - some nice touches, but he'll still be getting match fit. Likewise with Stewart: That's the first 90 minutes he's completed, but of all our signings he's the one to have doubts over, as he still looks way off the pace. Nade has 2 goals in 3 games, a decent return, and we know that Elliot can and will be a menace to defenders, so I'm willing to cut him some slack for a bad friendly perfromance.

The injuries are killing us: Sign on three senior centre backs and all injured, sign on 4 senior central midfielders (one of whom, I've argued above shouldn't play as a sitting centrla midfielder) and two of them have picked up knocks. Now, are these guys picking up injuries in training? Is that Murray' fault? The club has a physio, who must be able to consult with management and let them know if these things are likely to happen, and the guys themselves must know if they are pushing it too far. We've seen some of them training, which suggests that they maybe aren't too far away, or that Murray simply doesn't want to risk them in a friendly.

Either way, I'm not going to panic about a tuesday night kick about gubbing. We looked lacklustre against Edinburgh City as well, before putting in a creditable performance against St Jonhstone, were we maybe playing those midweek games off the back of heavy training sessions?

What I am starting to panic about is getting the team ready in time for the start of the season. We look badly hampered by injuries and playing some round pegs in square holes. I think this team will come good, but at the same time, we are going to struggle to get through the early cup games at last as players ocme back into the fold, but without match practice.

I'm surely not the only one who thought that the York City team were, in general, far more bulky and athletic than our own players. I think that's largely down to them facing a higher standard of players week in week out. For instance, neither of Stewart, Anderson or Vaughan had any luck in outmuscling or out-pacing their left back. I felt that was something that could be seen across the board.

In the end, Laidlaw and Ellis gave up trying to play the ball through and tried to hump it long to Elliot and Nade. As big a player as Nade is, he was up against a similar stature of player last night so it was difficult for him to get on the ball. He's far better served getting the ball to his feet where his technique causes problems for those playing against us. I firmly believe it'll be different when we're playing the average Scottish team as we saw against Saints on Saturday.

Also why have 7/8 subs on a bench sume un tried and tested and not give them game time!

Can you imagine the meltdown on here if we'd brought the less experienced guys on and got beat by 6 or 7??

Also, as soon as McGurn was on the pitch, you could hear him from the North Stand end of the pitch telling the players to "Get out" and get it up the pitch. Good to see he's still as vocal as ever. :thumsup2

This.

I don't mean to put Laidlaw down but as soon as Davie came on the huge change in atmosphere from the crowd seemed to give the players a wee boost.

McGurn's return was like a comforting pat on the back by someone assuring you that everything will be just fine.

It's pre-season, who cares if we get a hiding? I can't be the only one who has seen us have plenty of honking, winless pre-seasons and then start the league campaign well.

Injuries are a concern but some seem to be blaming Murray for them getting/being injured. He'll be getting blamed for the Israeli crisis next. It's football, injuries happen. We just need to get in with it.

Got a mate who is a York fan and their playing budget is something around £900k for the year. Ours won't be even half that so why should we be surprised that they looked far better than us.

Murray clearly needs to get off to a good start or it's going to turn ugly for him. But coming out with statements like 'losing to Livingston would be unacceptable' or 'we should be finishing above them' is absolute nonsense. With attitudes like that, I fear the manager is fighting a losing battle.

I think the squad we have Is nowhere near good enough, we've maybe replaced a few, but not for the better. Midfield, slow and immobile, literally the same midfield that was over ran or ignored by the defence for long punts up the park. Wingers, meh. Forwards, we haven't replaced Baird or Spence. So in essence. We'll struggle again. But the usual suspects will lambast me. But give me some proof that we've strengthened for the better. Murray is still inept. Maybe the board are withholding some cash to give him the first quarter before punting him and his back room team #canbutdream

Those statements are a bit daft, but Murray has a lot to prove. If the early season turns into a bit of a disaster then I could see things going South fairly quickly.

The one thing that's certain with teams like Rovers is that relegation is a certainty at some point. It's just a matter of time. Going on our ins and outs in the transfer market so far, I am a bit trepidatious about the season ahead.

The manager won't be fighting a losing battle if he does his job properly.

That means signing the right players, playing the right players and putting in good, entertaining performances.

IF it turns out that he can't deliver the above then he will deserve all the criticism that he gets. The Board bought the excuse that we were rotten in 2014 because of the squad size. Murray has been told he can have a bigger squad this year. If he can't deliver when he is being backed by the Board then it has to be curtains.

IFhe does deliver and we finish 8th or above but playing entertaining football and providing a product that the customers want, then he will find that the level of criticism is much more sensible.

Peoples opinion will always vary but much of the criticism is borne out of concern for our club not a dislike of the manager. What is worrying so far is that we seem to have learned nothing from last season. We were awful against Edinburgh City, good for 30 minues against St Johnstone then taught a lesson for the last 60. York City just gave us a lesson. We couldn't match them for passing and movement. We made the same mistakes that we suffered for the second half of last season.

It may be too early to hit the panic button but it is not too early to take heed the early warning signs

I think the squad we have Is nowhere near good enough, we've maybe replaced a few, but not for the better. Midfield, slow and immobile, literally the same midfield that was over ran or ignored by the defence for long punts up the park. Wingers, meh. Forwards, we haven't replaced Baird or Spence. So in essence. We'll struggle again. But the usual suspects will lambast me. But give me some proof that we've strengthened for the better. Murray is still inept. Maybe the board are withholding some cash to give him the first quarter before punting him and his back room team #canbutdream

Apart from Fox, you can't actually describe the midfielders we have as either of those, your just choosing perjorative terms to throw at them.

As for wingers? We only have one, Anderson. Conroy plays on the left side of midfield but he wasn't signed to be a 'winger'.

Interesting how little time it took for Spence to go frm Nando's munching lazy failure to someone we needed to desperately replace.

Those statements are a bit daft, but Murray has a lot to prove. If the early season turns into a bit of a disaster then I could see things going South fairly quickly.

The one thing that's certain with teams like Rovers is that relegation is a certainty at some point. It's just a matter of time. Going on our ins and outs in the transfer market so far, I am a bit trepidatious about the season ahead.

To be fair, the only one I'm trepidatious about is Stewart, who needs to really pull something out to prove he's good enough. The rest of our signings have been solid enough, I would've said. I'd still like to see a bit more raw pace in the team though.

It's pre-season, who cares if we get a hiding? I can't be the only one who has seen us have plenty of honking, winless pre-seasons and then start the league campaign well.

Injuries are a concern but some seem to be blaming Murray for them getting/being injured. He'll be getting blamed for the Israeli crisis next. It's football, injuries happen. We just need to get in with it.

Got a mate who is a York fan and their playing budget is something around £900k for the year. Ours won't be even half that so why should we be surprised that they looked far better than us.

Murray clearly needs to get off to a good start or it's going to turn ugly for him. But coming out with statements like 'losing to Livingston would be unacceptable' or 'we should be finishing above them' is absolute nonsense. With attitudes like that, I fear the manager is fighting a losing battle.

As a York fan, I remember the last time we played at Starks Park and a certain Nacho Novo ripped our defence for arse paper.

our team then was supposedly decent but that game highlighted our deficiencies and our decline was under way.

Last night Raith were clueless. I get no pleasure from saying that. If you get important injured defenders back it would make a difference. As for Laidlaw....oh dear. Your midfield is non-existent and I suppose Nade & Elliot require service to do the needful.

Long, hard season ahead but good luck.

As a York fan, I remember the last time we played at Starks Park and a certain Nacho Novo ripped our defence for arse paper.

our team then was supposedly decent but that game highlighted our deficiencies and our decline was under way.

Last night Raith were clueless. I get no pleasure from saying that. If you get important injured defenders back it would make a difference. As for Laidlaw....oh dear. Your midfield is non-existent and I suppose Nade & Elliot require service to do the needful.

Our central midfield last night was probably the worst combination of any two of the four available guys we have.

That's the case for any team in this league.

Calm down, Rovers fans, it's pre-season and your squad looks pretty good (a bit harsh to have a go at the manager/board about squad depth when you've got 3 centre halves out injured).

That Rovers team got relegated as well.

As for Laidlaw....oh dear. Your midfield is non-existent and I suppose Nade & Elliot require service to do the needful.

Our central midfield last night was probably the worst combination of any two of the four available guys we have.

That's the case for any team in this league.

Calm down, Rovers fans, it's pre-season and your squad looks pretty good (a bit harsh to have a go at the manager/board about squad depth when you've got 3 centre halves out injured).

Agree with this. For the most part our supporters are being completely rational about the current situation. Two of the posts made about us have come from fans of other teams who aren't focusing on who isn't available for us at the moment. From our midfield, I'd say Conroy is probably the only one I'd start from that group. Similarly,

If we get pumped in the first four games, then we'd have reason to complain. Hopefully we'll have our whole squad to pick and choose players in their strongest position and we can end this abysmal run of...err.. a defeat....

Ive seen good Rovers teams have poor pre-seasons, and vice versa. Its for getting fitness, little more.

The fact is though, we need to hit the ground running this season. Anything even verging on last seasons disaster (2nd half) will see us in huge trouble.

We were one player away from our first choice back 4 last night and apparently were in complete and utter disarray. Very, very concerning.

Delighted Mcgurn is back in any capacity.

If we got horsed last night with a fully fit team I'd have been more concerned. Whilst I don't want players to rush back when not 100% fit there are games with more importance creeping up on us.

Ive seen good Rovers teams have poor pre-seasons, and vice versa. Its for getting fitness, little more.

The fact is though, we need to hit the ground running this season. Anything even verging on last seasons disaster (2nd half) will see us in huge trouble.

We were one player away from our first choice back 4 last night and apparently were in complete and utter disarray. Very, very concerning.

Delighted Mcgurn is back in any capacity.

I think there are two things to remember about that, firstly is that the GK behind the back 4 doe smake a big difference to how the defence in front of them plays, and while Laidlaw has the potential, he's maybe not there yet in commanding his defenders in front of him.

Secondly, that while on paper we were only one player away from a first choice back four, Watson is only just back fit (kinda reminds me of last pre seaosn when he was thrown in against Hearts at two hours notice and didn't cover himself in glory) and his partner last night, Ellis, is barely credible as a defender at senior level anymore - let alone the championship.

The big worry is getting players back and fit through the cup games. If it had been anyone but a Fife team, I'd have been less worried about crashing out of the challenge cup, but a derby's a derby.