The New Raith Rovers Thread

McGlynn played three up in the Second when we had three undroppable strikers. We could probably do it with a midfield of Callachan Moon Scott but there wouldn't be a place for McKay or even maybe Grantie.

Could Grant play as a forward? The other thing that pisses me off about the game is when players are stuck in one position. Surely as part of their development it would make sense if they played numerous different positions? Versatility would give young players the best chance of 'making it' in the game. They could be seen as footballers, rather than just right backs, right midfielders, central midfielders, etc. etc.

There would be nothing wrong with a 4-5-1 IF and this is the if part we miss, we had 3 of the 5 midfielders supporting the lone striker & actually keeping possession on the deck as opposed to a punt ...

In order for it to work you would need a target man to hold up the ball (Nade seems fine) but give him the ball to feet, not head ... The 2 wingers and 1 of the central midfielders support and it could work pretty well ... However this doesn't happen with us. How many times have we seen a ball into the box and nobody's there ? The last home game springs to mind, Elliot was constantly pulling out wide to win the ball, working out some type of move with a winger, to then get the ball into a box and have not 1 single body there ... We also need a sitting midfielder who's willing to do the dirty part of the job, simply sitting breaking play up !

Until we have ultra fit players who are confident of going forward and confident the defense behind can hold their own, it wont work ... Murray just seems to think if he keeps playing the same 11 it will magically work one week !

I was curious as to what our record against the full-time teams under Grant Murray was, given all victories this season have been against part-time teams, aside from Livi who are hopeless and will finish bottom. I know some feel it doesn't matter as there's part-time teams in the league and you get three points no matter who you beat - personally I feel it's exceptionally relevant given it's a clear indicator of how we do comparatively against clubs of a similar stature with similar wage bills. There is no better way of comparing yourself than against an equal. And this will become more relevant when sides like Dunfermline and Morton find their way back into the league.

League record only under Murray stands at:

13 wins, 12 draws, 28 defeats.

So 51/159 points. 13/53 victories. Win percentage of 24.5%, points per game record of 0.98.

Since the start of last season it's truly eye opening - won 7, drawn 9, lost 18 (!).

That is unforgivable, for me. We're seriously behind our competition.

Would a change in manager really change that? It really seems to me right now that no matter where you look, the stats are awful, the fans are annoyed, the performances are dreadful, the players are poor. There seems to be very, very little in favour of keeping Murray - in fact the only reason I can see is he's under contract.

If season ticket renewals were tomorrow I think the board would get a serious fright. I certainly wouldn't be renewing mine.

As for season ticket renewals, I made a policy decision in the summer of 2012 - when Hutton was doing the club proud - to keep renewing for the foreseeable future regardless of what was happening on the pitch.

I'm being slightly sweeping in my generalisation, clearly, it is sometimes possible to discern some sort of difference in philosophy.

But the difference is overstated. Both systems rely on three central-ish midfielders, a number nine up top, and two wide players. Whether or to what extent those two can get forward to form a proper front three, or whether they end up having to drop back to cover generally depends more on how well the team is playing and how much of a grip of the midfield they have than on the instructions they're sent out with by the manager.

A 4-5-1 and a 4-3-3 are only more or less the same things if the wingers and 'wide' forwards play the same role or, indeed, are the same players. Even then, it's unlikely as their natural game will detract from the intention.

For example, we could have a midfield of Mckay - Fox - Scott - Moon - Anderson in a 4-5-1, with someone like Nade up front. But in a 4-3-3, we could Fox - Scott - Moon in midfield with Nade, Stewart and Elliot up front. All of a sudden, the dynamic has changed to a system with three 'out and out' strikers rather than the two 'wide' strikers playing a more traditional winger role. The problem playing such a 4-3-3 with the current system is that will doubtlessly turn into a game of hoofball due to the absence of width. Were we to tweak that and play McKay and Anderson instead of Stewart and Elliot, we'd be looking at either a 4-5-1 or a 4-3-2-1 depending on how they are positioned, as neither of these players can reasonably be seen as strikers and their natural game would really prevent them being deployed as strikers for the whole match. Basically, they would end up carrying out the role they would in a 4-5-1.

I buy a season ticket to help the club out, by giving them money up front. I never attend enough games to make buying a season ticket worthwhile. If you were thinking like a mercenary toerag, you just would not buy one under these circumstances. What a fucking great guy I am. I'm a modern day philanthropist. Carnegie looks a tightwad next to me.

I say I'm contemplating not renewing, but in reality I'll probably buy one again to help the club.

On Murray, it would be pretty shan to sack the boy just before Christmas, especially when we're currently sitting in 5th place, which is about as good as it gets for Rovers, glory years aside. However, it's difficult to reconcile this with having to watch the football we're currently playing.

Edited by Scary Bear

I was curious as to what our record against the full-time teams under Grant Murray was, given all victories this season have been against part-time teams, aside from Livi who are hopeless and will finish bottom. I know some feel it doesn't matter as there's part-time teams in the league and you get three points no matter who you beat - personally I feel it's exceptionally relevant given it's a clear indicator of how we do comparatively against clubs of a similar stature with similar wage bills. There is no better way of comparing yourself than against an equal. And this will become more relevant when sides like Dunfermline and Morton find their way back into the league.

League record only under Murray stands at:

13 wins, 12 draws, 28 defeats.

So 51/159 points. 13/53 victories. Win percentage of 24.5%, points per game record of 0.98.

Since the start of last season it's truly eye opening - won 7, drawn 9, lost 18 (!).

That is unforgivable, for me. We're seriously behind our competition.

Would a change in manager really change that? It really seems to me right now that no matter where you look, the stats are awful, the fans are annoyed, the performances are dreadful, the players are poor. There seems to be very, very little in favour of keeping Murray - in fact the only reason I can see is he's under contract.

If season ticket renewals were tomorrow I think the board would get a serious fright. I certainly wouldn't be renewing mine.

Playing devil's advocate here, but if you are going to do that, do you then exclude results against full time teams with more than, say, double our home support and budget? For example, would you then remove our results against Hearts, Rangers and even Hibs this year, and possibly against Dundee last year as well?

Edited by renton