The New Raith Rovers Thread

Sounds like a lot of assumptions are being made about the way the manager and DoF work together. I don't see how anyone outside of the club can know or how it can be judged how who is influencing what.

I am quite happy for Murray to get one more go at building a team. I am, though, a bit worried about how it's going to go and don't feel hugely enthusiastic about shelling out for the season. Real concerns that we'll end up losing McGurn and Barr and keeping Cuthbert and the likes of Scott ( :barf). This season's signings were not much of an upgrade on last (except Barr).

Dream scenario: Keep McGurn, Thomson, Barr, Watson, Callachan, Vaughan, Conroy, Moon. Release Scott and Cuthbert.

You must have some pretty guff dreams if us retaining Kevin Moon is part of them! A Moon of last year, yes, but this season he has struggled with knocks and when 'fit' has been a shadow of what he can be. Should we really gamble on him? He is alongside Elliot on my list, good player if 100% but can we risk that being the case enough of the time? Probably not.

For me it comes down to 'is there a better replacement out there' available for many who might just deserve a new deal if no is the answer.

Def outs for me would be Cuthbert, Laidlaw, Fox, Scott, Elliot. Moon, Stewart, McKeown are three that replacements should be sought but could still be an option. The rest I would be okay with keeping, especially McGurn.

You must have some pretty guff dreams if us retaining Kevin Moon is part of them!

For me it comes down to 'is there a better replacement out there' available for many

You're right and he was last on the list for that reason. For some reason sentiment comes into it more with him than other players - not that I really want that influencing the manager's decisions.

Agree with you that some of the others in the squad they could end up being best available options.

This season i would hope we'll keep our priority players by offering two years if they want it. Barr, Callachan, Vaughan, Watson.

The only ones I want to keep are McGurn, Hill, Callachan and Vaughan. After that I don't really feel that much of a rapport with the players. Possibly keep Nade as he's a character.

For me the disconnect between management/players and fans is still there. This has to be fixed as a priority. It's the only way we'll get a more positive atmosphere at the San Starko. Not sure how the club go about doing that, but the Manager is the key figure at the club. He needs to improve on communication with the fans and explain what his philosophy is. What he wants to achieve. That sort of stuff. Get the fans to buy into it.

As for the players, maybe do some podcasts, similar to those Tell Me About Pele do, so that you get to know the players. Either that or get more players who have a bit of character and skill about them.

Edited by Scary Bear

Despite his recent up turn in form, I can't quick make my mind up over Stewart either. I think Nade could probably offer us more if we got in a decent striker (Nade playing as a classic #10), but he hasn't done much recently at all. I think i could only keep one of them and of course Vaughan.

We simply must keep the following, in my view: McGurn, Thomson, Barr, Watson, Conroy, Anderson, Callachan and Vaughan. I'd also like to see us keep Hill and I'm undecided on Moon & McKeown. I'd veer towards keeping Nade rather than Stewart, but won't be too upset if Murray goes the other way or even releases both of them.

Martin Scott has been an almighty disappointment this season. I had high hopes for him as an attacking midfielder, but he just hasn't offered us what I hoped he would. Too often he just looks as if he's going to get sent off.

For me it's more the case that he and Vaughan seem to connect pretty well as a strike force, with Stewart playing off the last shoulder and Vaughan dropping deeper, their combined movement does cretae space for us to attack into. Granted neither has much physical presence (although Stewart's hold up play is better than he's given credit for).

Nade on the other hand is a presence all by himself but I don't think he adds value to his strike partner. Nade usually picks up the ball in a static position and then tries to run at folk - it can be very effective and there is no doubt that he makes a positive difference, but at the same time I think the other strikers sometimes struggle to adapt to Nade's style.

In all honesty I'd keep both while replacing Elliot.

If it was up to me, I'd keep the following:

McGurn, Thomson, Watson, Barr, Hill, McKeown, Callachan, Anderson, Vaughan

Release:

Fox, Scott, Elliot, Moon

Totally undecided on:

Conroy, Nade, Stewart, Cuthbert and Laidlaw

Turns out there weren't as many, I'd let go, as I'd imagined there would be.... Never would've believed, earlier in the season, that I'd pick McKeown to stay but he's grown on me. He's still no Calum Booth though.

The undecided ones, if they stay "fine", if they go "meh". They've all got their pros and cons - as do the ones I'd want to keep, I suppose!

For me the disconnect between management/players and fans is still there. This has to be fixed as a priority. It's the only way we'll get a more positive atmosphere at the San Starko. Not sure how the club go about doing that, but the Manager is the key figure at the club. He needs to improve on communication with the fans and explain what his philosophy is. What he wants to achieve. That sort of stuff. Get the fans to buy into it.

I agree with this. Can anyone tell us what the aim was for this season? I thought that both last and this season the aim was to finish 4th but it seems that so long as we avoid relegation now the board and management are deeming it a success. The same can also be said for a large proportion of the fans. I think the discontent comes from the fact that we here at pre-season and during the first month or so that we are aiming for the playoffs but we have come nowhere near there.

I keep hearing we're making progress on the pitch but in what way? We are conceding more and scoring fewer goals and the quality is not improving. We finished 2 points off the relegation play-offs last season and the only reason we're not fighting this year is because there are 3 very poor part-time teams below us, all of whom have still managed to take points off of us. You only need to look at the final league totals for each of the past 5 seasons to see this.

I agree with this. Can anyone tell us what the aim was for this season? I thought that both last and this season the aim was to finish 4th but it seems that so long as we avoid relegation now the board and management are deeming it a success. The same can also be said for a large proportion of the fans. I think the discontent comes from the fact that we here at pre-season and during the first month or so that we are aiming for the playoffs but we have come nowhere near there.

I keep hearing we're making progress on the pitch but in what way? We are conceding more and scoring fewer goals and the quality is not improving. We finished 2 points off the relegation play-offs last season and the only reason we're not fighting this year is because there are 3 very poor part-time teams below us, all of whom have still managed to take points off of us. You only need to look at the final league totals for each of the past 5 seasons to see this.

I think the board would have probably looked at this season as being about not getting relegated, especially after last season, whilst also looking to improve our points total. I'd reckon finishing 4th would have just been an added bonus for the club having probably not been factored in as a fundamental/must achieve priority - especially with the teams in the league.

McGurn, Vaughan, Callachan, Hill, Thomson and possibly Nade are who I'd definitely like to see back. I'd imagine others will be back so preferably it's the better players such as Barr, Anderson etc.

The return of Scott and Fox would make me reconsider season ticket renewal.

Edited by kev23

Laidlaw mckeown Callachan vaughan all still have 1 year remaining on contracts.

The way the chairman talks he is very honest,

He wants to see attractive entertaining football brought to Starks park,

The manager has his budget all ready and has started offering contracts to some current squad members,

But the stumbling block seems to be player agents.

Now with this comes a lot of ifs buts and maybes,

The manager now needs to realise this is potentially a fresh start for him, a new chairman a new director of football a new pre season, all 3 need to be moving in the same forward direction.

Fox scott elliot Anderson 4current players who cannot bring attractive football to our game..

Barr watson McGurn cuthbert moon should be offered immediately.. And build your new "football" team arround a very decent spine..

We should be looking at some part timers who may be looking at going full time after a good season for their current clubs. Agnew of dumbarton, Cawley of alloa..

Also hearing that malpas has been in touch with players down south aswell and has. Been to watch 17 games over the last two months on scouting. Again forward thinking.

As much as I'd love to see murray get sacked pre season, I think the earliest this will happen is January next year if he hasn't managed to improve.

Now here's a thought. Murray isn't hugely popular in the fanbase, but at the moment there's no massive clamour for him to be sacked, much as I doubt many would be too upset if he was.

If McGurn goes, is the goodwill gone? Even the thought of McGurn leaving makes me want to become angry, unreasonable and violent.

Now here's a thought. Murray isn't hugely popular in the fanbase, but at the moment there's no massive clamour for him to be sacked, much as I doubt many would be too upset if he was.

If McGurn goes, is the goodwill gone? Even the thought of McGurn leaving makes me want to become angry, unreasonable and violent.

The Links Market will do that to you.

It would probably come down to who's decision it was. If Murray has decided it's time to move on then I feel it will take a huge amount to convince fans it's the correct decision. McGurn has been the one constant who doesn't divide fans opinions and god knows where we'd have ended up in past seasons without him. I'm sure but for him we'd have been relegated a few years ago.

However if McGurn has decided he wants a team closer to home then obviously Murray is safe.

Unfortunately I fear it is the former.

Laidlaw mckeown Callachan vaughan all still have 1 year remaining on contracts.

It's difficult to find any reliable info on players' contracts but this website indicates that only Lewis Vaughan will be under contract next season and that every other player is free to go after 31st May. Time will tell if it's true.

Edited by Beachbum

It's difficult to find any reliable info on players' contracts but this website indicates that only Lewis Vaughan will be under contract next season and that every other player is free to go after 31st May. Time will tell if it's true.

Liam Fox valued at £220,000, he surely won't be short of suitors once contract is up