The New Raith Rovers Thread

It's funny how many people on this deem players "not good enough" that then move on to bigger and better things. It's happened for a good few years now. Davidson, Dyer, Conroy, possibly Paul Watson and now Nade to name a few. All the best to Christian if he accepts the deal, great move for him.

I find it funny how many 'good' players turn to shit at Starks, then become decent again when they move on. I'm hoping that's all down to former management and training methods and that those days are behind us.

I do agree with your sentiment though and wish Nade all the best

It's funny how many people on this deem players "not good enough" that then move on to bigger and better things. It's happened for a good few years now. Davidson, Dyer, Conroy, possibly Paul Watson and now Nade to name a few. All the best to Christian if he accepts the deal, great move for him.

I'm not sure it's about 'good enough' in terms of pure ability, but rather in terms of not fitting in with the rest of the team, so not contributing positively, even if they are a good player (though even by that standard, I don't think Conroy going to QoS counts as 'bigger and better').

No doubt that Nade has ability and scored important goals for us, nevertheless he also tended to slow down our build up play, and never struck up a partnership with the other forwards, limiting the number of chances we created last year so it's right for both parties that he move on - certainly I wouldn't have him in place of the Stewart-Vaughan partnership at the time and when Murray tried to shoehorn Nade in there by moving Stewart out wide at Dumfries our attacking play suffered. He'll be a good impact player for Hamilton, but we needed a forward we could use more regularly and who would fit in with the rest of the team better.

Likewise Davidson, for all his ability to cover ground wasn't great in terms of position and not at all good at pushing into the final third from midfield, which given the limited players around him meant that our midfield was overall not able to support the attack at all well when he was in there, where he was able to go and use his quite narrow specialities alongside more talented players I'm sure he would and does thrive, but we needed a more complete midfield player.

Edited by renton

Edited to add I've only to see Rovers at Annan, Elgin and New St Mirren park for my full set.

Me three.

Also seen us at the following old grounds

Muirton

Broomfield

Love Street

Meadowbank

Bayview

Boghead

Kilbowie

the old Peterhead ground (can't remember it's name)

And Bayern's old shed

Also note the players who we thought were good/not bad and ended up somewhere like East Fife doing naff all.

And the players who suceeded elsewhere, only to disappoint at Starks.

Finally, you have the players who weren't really thought of at all elsewhere, and did just fine for us.

It isn't always so straightforward. I don't think Nade is a bad player, but his record last season with us was not indicative of a player who would get a move to the league above us. As it happens, Hamilton's manager was happy to sign him - maybe it'll work, maybe it won't.

Me three.

Muirton

Broomfield

Love Street

Meadowbank

Bayview

Boghead

Kilbowie

And Bayern's old shed

Were you never at Firs Park or Raydale?

Me three.

Muirton

Broomfield

Love Street

Meadowbank

Bayview

Boghead

Kilbowie

And Bayern's old shed

ditto, as well as seeing us at Stirling Albions old 'Anfield' ground Edited by RoversMad

The players that have maybe succeeded elsewhere but came to us and failed were since Murray came in. That was purely down to poor management. John McGlynn brought in the likes of Graham, bairdy, dyer and tade to name a few and they all went on to do very well. There was a bit of ambition show from the club that season we lost out to the pars and maybe it worked out for the best us not going up but since then we've been happy to sit mid table, get a wee cup run and make some money. Not saying that's wrong but that's why gates are down at Starks because we have nothing to get excited about. Maybe that's had a negative effect on players under Murray such as Nade who failed to really make an impact but in my opinion I think he would have done a job in this squad. Fingers crossed McKinnon can get the new squad playing an attractive style and maybe make a push for top 4 but it we start badly I think a lot of these youngsters will crack under the pressure abit like the likes of Nade, Jimmy Scott and at times cardle who have all done well at higher levels. Only time will tell.

Still to do:

Ross County

Falkirks new ground (yes I've never bothered going there. Been to Brockville umpteen times though)

St Mirrens new ground (seen us play at Love Street)

Peterhead

Annan

Berwick

Elgin

Montrose

Seen us play in a friendly at Firs Park several years ago. Actually quite liked that ground.

The players that have maybe succeeded elsewhere but came to us and failed were since Murray came in. That was purely down to poor management. John McGlynn brought in the likes of Graham, bairdy, dyer and tade to name a few and they all went on to do very well. There was a bit of ambition show from the club that season we lost out to the pars and maybe it worked out for the best us not going up but since then we've been happy to sit mid table, get a wee cup run and make some money. Not saying that's wrong but that's why gates are down at Starks because we have nothing to get excited about. Maybe that's had a negative effect on players under Murray such as Nade who failed to really make an impact but in my opinion I think he would have done a job in this squad. Fingers crossed McKinnon can get the new squad playing an attractive style and maybe make a push for top 4 but it we start badly I think a lot of these youngsters will crack under the pressure abit like the likes of Nade, Jimmy Scott and at times cardle who have all done well at higher levels. Only time will tell.

Really? I can remember Paul Harvey coming to us from Airdrie for £225,000 after tearing the shit out of us every time we played them, and then doing nothing. There are dozens of examples over the years. Certainly man management plays a role, but then so does the style and ability of the rest of the squad I'd argue. Nade did not play massively differently for us than he has for other teams, and I don't think he was particularly bad for us - same goes for Conroy. Those are the type of players they are. Whether they are judged a failure by the fans needs to be seen against fans expectations for them, but certainly in the cases of nade and Conroy, they played exactly the way I'd expected them to. In Nade's case, as I wrote above wants to have the ball to long, slows down the build up and is not particularly industrious off the ball either, that's not Murray's fault, that's just the way he is. Murray's issue was in signing players when he didn't really have an idea of how he wanted them to fit in, and Nade's impact was limited for us by that.

Edited by renton

I don't accept this. In the cases of Davidson and Dyer, the players (particularly Davidson) did much better for us than some were ever willing to give them credit for. Of the others you name, all of whom have only just left - Watson was generally rated, I think most of us would have been happy enough for him to stay. Ditto Conroy, though I'm not sure how he's going to turn out from here anyway. Nade is a different case, in that he's clearly got the ability if he can ever string his good games together - which may depend on injury and fitness. Maybe Hamilton are in a better position to take a gamble on that than a Championship side with a smaller squad.

Of course there are always instances of players doing better at one club than another for all sorts of reasons, and sometimes that works for us and sometimes against. (Rob Sloan and Dougie Hill both came to us having been released by Alloa.) But if you're suggesting that there's some pattern to it that we generally seem to come off worse from then that's nonsense. I think there are fans at every club who think the same thing.

If you're not suggesting that then apologies. But this post goes to anyone who thinks it, anyway.

I think Ryan's point might have been that our supporters are pretty quick to dismiss players as not good enough for us, only to see them move up a level.

This is probably true of Davidson and Dyer, both of whom definitely had their share of critics. I personally rated Davidson and was sorry to see him go, though I'm still unsure as to Dyer holds down a regular place in that Dundee side every week.

The players that have maybe succeeded elsewhere but came to us and failed were since Murray came in. That was purely down to poor management. John McGlynn brought in the likes of Graham, bairdy, dyer and tade to name a few and they all went on to do very well.

I don't think you'll find many fans who were happy to see any of those players leave (perhaps Dyer, but I thought he was ok) so I don't really get your point?

Really? I can remember Paul Harvey coming to us from Airdrie for £225,000 after tearing the shit out of us every time we played them, and then doing nothing.

Kenny McDonald,

Jim McInally,

John Hendry...

I don't agree that Hamilton are bigger and better than us. Yes they may be in SPL at minute but I think they will come down this season. And I think our support is bigger than theirs

Hamilton have been head and shoulders above us the past 4-5 seasons. They successfully blood youth and coup the rewards in plenty of £££'s. When was the last time we received a fee for someone? A player moving to Hamilton when deemed surplus to requirements from us is a step up and a better move regardless of either sides fan base.

I think Ryan's point might have been that our supporters are pretty quick to dismiss players as not good enough for us, only to see them move up a level.

This is probably true of Davidson and Dyer, both of whom definitely had their share of critics. I personally rated Davidson and was sorry to see him go, though I'm still unsure as to Dyer holds down a regular place in that Dundee side every week.

Exactly this. Davidson was a cracking player for us in his 8 years regardless of how big his ego got. My point was that every season there is an overhaul of the squad and fans are quick to criticise players who are released or that move on who actually done a solid enough job for us and end up playing at higher level or one of our rivals and doing well. Edited by RyanCouserRRFC

Exactly this. Davidson was a cracking player for us in his 8 years regardless of how big his ego got. My point was that every season there is an overhaul of the squad and fans are quick to criticise players who are released or that move on who actually done a solid enough job for us and end up playing at higher level or one of our rivals and doing well.

Davo was never a cracking player for us. Ever. He was however a decent player who done the job that was required for the most part. If he ever actually realised he was a limited player but was good at what he done and stuck to it he would have been remembered more fondly, he was also very poor positionally for the most part reguardless if he was in midfield or at centre half.