The New Raith Rovers Thread

Unless McKinnon doesn't envisage Thomson starting every week, there isn't really any rationale for changing the captain. He is now one of our senior players too, as hard as that might be to believe.

As far as goalkeepers go it does look like Cuthbert will get the nod, to dismay of most of us. If he does, it is up to him to change impressions, which he can do by not chucking goals away. He appears to have acknowledged last season was poor from him, but that needs to translate into results.

Unless McKinnon doesn't envisage Thomson starting every week, there isn't really any rationale for changing the captain. He is now one of our senior players too, as hard as that might be to believe.

As far as goalkeepers go it does look like Cuthbert will get the nod, to dismay of most of us. If he does, it is up to him to change impressions, which he can do by not chucking goals away. He appears to have acknowledged last season was poor from him, but that needs to translate into results.

Where?

Think we'll struggle to find a scapegoat in Raith's 2015/16 Championship winning squad tbqh.

That's the spirit! However, we love a challenge.

I like the fact that Ray will have us playing football. My worry is we'll be tippy tappy with no cutting edge. If Vaughan and Stewart click again we'll be fine, if not the midfield will really have to chip in with goals. Can we have the Barcelona third choice strip again, in honour of our new style of play?*

*I haven't seen us play a game under Ray. I will take in our game against the Celtic XI. I'm sure we'll wipe the floor with them.

Edited by Scary Bear

So where does Ray think we need one more? Up front or in defence?

I'm assuming it's a forward, but from the rumours on here the trialists we had were midfielders. Midfielder fetish?

Well, we had a couple of midfielders on trial, Euan Smith (exKillie) and Aaron Birch (ex West Brom) - but that was before we signed Craigen. Birch was off pretty sharpish after that and Smith, after a 15minute spell vs. Hearts was last seen on trial at Brechin. So, the trialists we had seem to have been in case McKinnon didn't get his first choice target. Any new trialists are likely to be for a different position, I'd think.

So where does Ray think we need one more? Up front or in defence?

I'm assuming it's a forward, but from the rumours on here the trialists we had were midfielders. Midfielder fetish?

Has to be a striker imo. It'll probably be different trialists from the ones we had prior to the pre-season games starting.

Also, going by the tone of that FFP article, I'd put my mortgage on Cuthbert being McKinnon's preferred option in goals this season. Tuesday's performance probably didn't do Davie many favours. Also I'm assuming Davie is still training when he can during the week? Is it Queens Park he trains with?

Re captaincy, it'll probably be Thomson unless he hasn't shown day-to-day that he's buying into Ray's Ways. He's a decent captain imo as he always makes positive choices with the ball, even when we're lacking confidence or when he's up against someone formidable. He drives forward regardless. It sets a good example at times when players might be tempted to take cautious options or retreat into their.shells. For that reason I think it's actually helpful thing that he isn't our best player. As long as he's likely to start the games (which I'd bet is the real issue) it should be him. Otherwise Callachan [/controversy]

Re captaincy, it'll probably be Thomson unless he hasn't shown day-to-day that he's buying into Ray's Ways. He's a decent captain imo as he always makes positive choices with the ball, even when we're lacking confidence or when he's up against someone formidable. He drives forward regardless. It sets a good example at times when players might be tempted to take cautious options or retreat into their.shells. For that reason I think it's actually helpful thing that he isn't our best player. As long as he's likely to start the games (which I'd bet is the real issue) it should be him. Otherwise Callachan [/controversy]

I'd never really thought about it before but is it possible he's not in Ray's plans the starting 11? We could easily go

Toshney-Barr-Bene-McKeown.