The New Raith Rovers Thread

Considering the utter outrage that accompanied comments about Sandy Jardine from a Raith fan (which WERE out of order), the reaction to Turnbulls death on Rangers media is absolutely disgusting.

What an utterly appalling and disgusting institution.

There is one poster speaking sense but he's fighting the impossible fight against the rest of that crowd.

And then of course there was the Rangers thing which genuinely helped save Scottish football as we know it. I exchanged a few emails with him at the time and I always remember him saying "we'll play in the Juniors before we let the SFA put Rangers in our league". A man of real honour and I'm sure the club will honour him appropriately on Wednesday night against Cowdenbeath.

That statement did piss off a lot of our fans including me to a certain extent, because it came across as "I'd rather this club go under, than see that happen".

As for Turnball, he certainly got to where he did in life on merit. No Bob's your uncle or masonic handshakes. Like we see all too often in this day and age. I believe he went to Harvard and graduated with top honours and made most of his money by being Chief Executive of Diageo. He came to Raith during a time when those two Glasgow crooks were threatening to turn Stark's Park into block of flats. Even by cash strapped standards we were in a very difficult situation back then. To the point where we shook hands with the devil and let Anelka into the club, which ended up setting us back at least 5 years. Anelka was so bad it covered up how bad Gordon Daizel was. Getting John McGlynn into the club was certainly a good move. I don't like his anti-football stuff, but he was the right man at the right time. Who understood the constraints he was working under and even agreed to take pay cuts along the way. Then the Rangers situation came along something he was most remembered for. The reason Turnball took the stance he did, was because life long friends and season ticket holders threatened to cut ties with him. If he dared to bring the new Rangers into (what was then known as) the First Division.

I remember being at the league reconstruction meeting in 2013, and remembering how genuine he came across during the discussion. I could see he was doing it out of love of the club, and I didn't have any suspicious of hidden motives or agendas.

Edited by Fotbawmad

That statement did piss off a lot of our fans including me to a certain extent, because it came across as "I'd rather this club go under, than see that happen".

As for Turnball, he certainly got to where he did in life on merit. No Bob's your uncle or masonic handshakes. Like we see all too often in this day and age. I believe he went to Harvard and graduated with top honours and made most of his money by being Chief Executive of Diageo. He came to Raith during a time when those two Glasgow crooks were threatening to turn Stark's Park into block of flats. Even by cash strapped standards we were in a very difficult situation back then. To the point where we shook hands with the devil and let Anelka into the club, which ended up setting us back at least 5 years. Anelka was so bad it covered up how bad Gordon Daizel was. Getting John McGlynn into the club was certainly a good move. I don't like his anti-football stuff, but he was the right man at the right time. Who understood the constraints he was working under and even agreed to take pay cuts along the way. Then the Rangers situation came along something he was most remembered for. The reason Turnball took the stance he did, was because life long friends and season ticket holders threatened to cut ties with him. If he dared to bring the new Rangers into (what was then known as) the First Division.

I remember being at the league reconstruction meeting in 2013, and remembering how genuine he came across during the discussion. I could see he was doing it out of love of the club, and I didn't have any suspicious of hidden motives or agendas.

While the Rangers thing is certainly what gave him wider exposure in Scottish football, the way he led the board, and by extension the club, over the last few years, in managing to move us forward in football terms while at the same time taking us from horrendously debt ridden to the place we are today sans any kind of administration get out of jail card, is simply extraordinary.

I had to delete comments from a Rangers supporter on the 200 Club FB page last night.

Something along the lines of Turnbull stiffing Rangers every chance he got.

You'd think folk would refrain from comments like that but those c***s just can't help themselves.

Should have screenshotted it to shame the fucker.

]

While the Rangers thing is certainly what gave him wider exposure in Scottish football, the way he led the board, and by extension the club, over the last few years, in managing to move us forward in football terms while at the same time taking us from horrendously debt ridden to the place we are today sans any kind of administration get out of jail card, is simply extraordinary.

Absolutely. The turnaround in even the last three years is remarkable.

Cup runs have certainly played their part, but we are a long way from the utter shambles of the 11/12 season, where we posted an 80k loss despite significant cuts following our failed title challenge in 10/11. We are on a much sounder financial footing now, and Turnbull's tenure as chairman is pivotal in that turnaround.

Was speaking to Laurie Ellis at my work This morning, he thinks naming a Stand after turnbull seems like a good idea. First time I've met Laurie, he's a top lad. Would have talked about the rovers all if he had the chance.

Was speaking to Laurie Ellis at my work This morning, he thinks naming a Stand after turnbull seems like a good idea. First time I've met Laurie, he's a top lad. Would have talked about the rovers all if he had the chance.

I've met Laurie a bunch of times, he's an absolute gent. Even bought me a pint once cause he liked my band.

First time I'm not working during a home match since November. I'm glad I'll be able to go down to Starks tonight and pay my respects to Turnbull, an absolute hero and I'm proud to call myself a Raith fan like the great Turnbull Hutton. RIP.

ETA - The Turnbull Hutton stand would get my approval :)

Edited by MC_Lachlan

Decided not to leave my scarf after all due to no other scarfs being tied at SP and I did feel slightly cautious tbh when I arrived in case, as I said previously, there was any anymosity. Bad result and performance by Raith but I'm glad I was there to pay my respects to Turnbull in what was a very sad but well observed minutes silence. All the best for the rest of this season and next season. :)

Decided not to leave my scarf after all due to no other scarfs being tied at SP and I did feel slightly cautious tbh when I arrived in case, as I said previously, there was any anymosity. Bad result and performance by Raith but I'm glad I was there to pay my respects to Turnbull in what was a very sad but well observed minutes silence. All the best for the rest of this season and next season. :)

Should of left your scarf dafcburty, would have been very surprised if there had been any anymosity and i'm sure Rovers fans would have been very angry to hear of any towards you.

To be honest I would not be overly fussed if the majority of that squad were not wearing Rovers colours next season.

Build a team round McGurn, Barr, Callachan and Vaughan. Probably add Anderson as well.

Obviously there have been rumours going about that McGurn will leave in the summer which is a shame, but so long as we have a solid stopper between the sticks next season Id be happy.

I feel Hill won't be given a new deal either. A fans favourite but I think his time is up with us as well.

The majority of the others can go. I'm disappointed in Scott, thought he would have done well for us. Moon has been injury plagued all season, the same for Elliot. These guys should be shown the door. The same with Fox.

If we want to progress further than midtable we have to be able to attract better players. Whether this is feasible or not though is another thing entirely.

From then Official Site following on Grants winning of manager of the month (twice) Management Team Pledge Their Future to RRFC
printer.png

Thursday December 5th 2013

Hot on the heels of this week’s positive financial results, we are delighted to confirm that our management team of Grant Murray, Paul Smith and Laurie Ellis have agreed new contracts that will keep them at Stark’s Park until at least the end of season 2015 / 2016.

The Board is very pleased how Grant and Laurie have taken to management and coaching duties and, of course, they are very fortunate to have been able to rely on the valuable management experience of Assistant Manager, Paul Smith. Therefore, we were keen to secure the services of all three men as the first stage of planning for next season and beyond.

Grant, Paul and Laurie put pen to paper this afternoon.

You can tell, that Grant Murray has been unsure the last few weeks on whether Martin Scott deserves another contract or not, yesterday has to have given him the answer. The man does not know how to play football. A mate yesterday mentioned that he'll be at East Fife next season. He wouldn't get a game for East Fife. Allan Walker and Fraser Mullen are heads and shoulders above Martin Scott.

On yesterdays performance, i'd keep Vaughan, Callachan, Barr and Nade. I'd punt the rest.

3-0 down at home to Cowdenbeath, bringing on nade for Vaughan and Moon fOr Scott was always going to achieve f**k all. Take off a fucking CB, Hill should have been off at that point for Nade and Scott for Anderson and i reckon we'd have salvaged a point at least, but us, as fans are noticing this, yet the man who is getting paid to notice these things...doesn't.