The New Raith Rovers Thread

Pretty much every Brechin fan will be sorry to see McKinnon go, whilst most East Fife fans would be neither here nor there if Naysmith departed, in fact, a lot of them would be happy to see the back of him.

That would suggest there's fair difference between the two.

In other news McGurn is to be inducted into the Rovers Hall of Fame :)

Always think you should wait until the guy has stopped playing before handing out this sort of thing to be honest.

Nothing against Alloa but potentially they could have went down ,my guess is he would have a release clause in his contract allowing him to leave if another club offered him a managers post.

Wish they had been relegated now????.

good news about mcgurn, well deserved. We need the new man in place (whoever it is) in the next few days, especially now all the info is out in the open. We need things wrapped up and clarified so the players and club can begin to focus on next season.

Excellent idea... :thumsup2

RRFC Official ‏@RaithRovers_FC 4m4 minutes ago

In honour of our former Chairman, it has been agreed that we shall name the Main Stand at Starks Park the Turnbull Hutton Stand.

RRFC Official ‏@RaithRovers_FC 2m2 minutes ago

The formal naming ceremony for the Turnbull Hutton Stand will take place on Wed 22 July when we face Celtic XI in a friendly, KO 7.45pm

Disagree

Many people equally as worthy of this honour.

For one Johnny Urquhart did as much for Raith as Turnbull. Where is his stand ?

Edited by Whistle Blower

Pretty much every Brechin fan will be sorry to see McKinnon go, whilst most East Fife fans would be neither here nor there if Naysmith departed, in fact, a lot of them would be happy to see the back of him.

That would suggest there's fair difference between the two.

Football doesn't work like that though. For all you know Naysmith could be a hit at Rovers and McKinnon could bomb.

Neither was on my wish list when Murray went, but whoever gets in will have my full support. Until they lose 4 or 5 games in a row. Luckily for them I am rarely moved to cheer or boo anymore, so they won't notice when they've displeased me.

Edited by Scary Bear

'Much better' prospect? Either would be a gamble. Neither has done anything to set the heather alight, unless 4th place finishes in leagues below where we currently are is something to get excited about. Grant Murray could possibly do as good a job at Brechin City or East Fife, given the chance. Unless you've seen a lot of Brechin City or East Fife games, then it's difficult to say whether these types will even bring more fan-friendly football to Starks.

Well, yes. Blowing a ten point lead and being relegated, then failing to get promoted with what is IMO a good squad for League 2 is poor going. That Brechin fans will be sorry to see McKinnon go suggests he has surpassed their expectations of what they should be achieving, or has at the very least achieved them.

What we have is one manager who achieves what is asked, verses one who has, quite objectively, failed. I'd say that represents a significant difference in calibre.

I don't know why Grant Murray is relevant here. What he would do with either of these teams is immaterial as we're not hiring him.

Edited by Michael W

Guys going on about if McKinnon takes the St.Mirren job and the guy who gets the Rovers job feeling 2nd best.

Do we really want someone that's waiting to see if he gets offered another job elsewhere before he decides to go to the Rovers. He's not for me!!! He's obviously not 100% behind us or he would've accepted already

Guys going on about if McKinnon takes the St.Mirren job and the guy who gets the Rovers job feeling 2nd best.

Do we really want someone that's waiting to see if he gets offered another job elsewhere before he decides to go to the Rovers. He's not for me!!! He's obviously not 100% behind us or he would've accepted already

No one is 100% behind us, for any manager we're a gig, one link a chain of jobs hopefully leading to success and financial security. No one takes a job with us because they are so enthusiastic about the club or the locals.

Disagree

Many people equally as worthy of this honour.

For one Johnny Urquhart did as much for Raith as Turnbull. Where is his stand ?

It's all about opinions. Johnny U served the club with distinction in a few roles, TH has allowed us to still have a club to support at his personal expense. It's a worthy tribute.

Well, yes. Blowing a ten point lead and being relegated, then failing to get promoted with what is IMO a good squad for League 2 is poor going. That Brechin fans will be sorry to see McKinnon go suggests he has surpassed their expectations of what they should be achieving, or has at the very least achieved them.

What we have is one manager who achieves what is asked, verses one who has, quite objectively, failed. I'd say that represents a significant difference in calibre.

I don't know why Grant Murray is relevant here. What he would do with either of these teams is immaterial as we're not hiring him.

The point about Grant Murray is, he could be as good a prospect as either of those. He kept a team in 6th place in a better league than either of those candidates had to contend with.

Both McKinnon and Naysmith took their respective teams to 4th place and both were knocked out at the first stage. McKinnon's Brechin finished in 8th in the same season that East Fife finished 9th.

At risk of repeating the point that's been made a couple of times already, let's just say it was you in this position.

You've applied for two very similar jobs with similar companies, although one pays more than the other, and get interviews for both. One comes back quickly and says we'll offer you £40k per annum. You know the other will probably offer more, maybe £50k or more, and you know they're going to let you know in a few days, so what you gonna do? Jump at the first offer? No. You'll wait and see if there's another offer and what the offer is. You've got bills to pay, family to support etc.

It's a job. He's not considering coming here because he loves the Rovers.

It's all well and good McKinnon wanting some time to consider things but how long will we let it drag on for? What if St Mirren take a few days before making their minds up?

We should be giving McKinnon some sort of 24-48 hour deadline and telling him the offer is off the table if he hasn't made his mind up by then. It's hardly Alex Ferguson that we're holding out for here, it's a guy who has done nothing but achieve mid-table finishes with his mid-table side year on year.

It's all well and good McKinnon wanting some time to consider things but how long will we let it drag on for? What if St Mirren take a few days before making their minds up?

We should be giving McKinnon some sort of 24-48 hour deadline and telling him the offer is off the table if he hasn't made his mind up by then. It's hardly Alex Ferguson that we're holding out for here, it's a guy who has done nothing but achieve mid-table finishes with his mid-table side year on year.

For some reason I've gotten it into my head that St Mirren were looking to appoint their new gaffer tomorrow. Don't ask me where I read that though. Either way as roverthemoon said it's all a bit messy, primarily due to information being leaked to the press. The board have done their bit by keeping shtum however I'm sure they're well aware the importance of getting someone appointed sharpish. My guess is if St Mirren and/or McKinnon haven't made their mind up by tomorrow the offer will be withdrawn. Again don't ask me why.

For some reason I've gotten it into my head that St Mirren were looking to appoint their new gaffer tomorrow. Don't ask me where I read that though. Either way as roverthemoon said it's all a bit messy, primarily due to information being leaked to the press. The board have done their bit by keeping shtum however I'm sure they're well aware the importance of getting someone appointed sharpish. My guess is if St Mirren and/or McKinnon haven't made their mind up by tomorrow the offer will be withdrawn. Again don't ask me why.

Your spot on, It was online, either Fife Today or Courior where they said St Mirren had their final interviews today and where looking to appoint tomorrow ... I'm sure it also said something about McKinnon has 1 more sit down talk with us which was believe to be today I think ! Ofcourse it is all "paper talk", so might be crap :P !