The New Raith Rovers Thread

Just me that worries that our supporters expectations of Wighton are going to be to the detriment of his progression?

I'm more worried that he's actually just not very good. That young lad (Courts?) made more of a mark in two minutes than Wighton had all game.

I'm more worried that he's actually just not very good. That young lad (Courts?) made more of a mark in two minutes than Wighton had all game.

Did he? Did Courts make a slide rule pass along the edge of the box to create a chance for Anderson?

edit - it's good to have the arguments again eh?

Edited by pantene proV

First 20 minutes I thought we played well knocked the ball about nicely and created some chances. Probably should have scored through McCord and whoever it was who hit the post.

After that I thought we went back to usual Rovers for me with the punts hoping to run in the channels.

Was impressed by craigen, quick feet and turn of pace, McCord looks to have a player in there, major concern for me is the fitness side of things but that will come. I thought he was spent after around the hour mark and some of his passes started to become sloppy. Vaughan looked sharp when he came on too. Megginson I thought was a bit meh tbh, but that's the first game I've seen in a while.

I just personally think thought that we are too lightweight in the middle of the park and I think in terms of real depth we are a few players short. Let's be serious the new batch of young boys are not going to be near the starting line up, giving them a couple of minutes here and there is no real good for their development and I'd rather see us put them on loan to lower league clubs if possible to get the game time that's needed. If we lose 1 or two of the midfielders trio then we are straight into throwing youngsters in and I think that's a bit concerning. Also, albeit Stewart is injured but we are really lightweight up top, could really do with someone up their to hold the ball up for the flair players to come around the box and get involved.

Wighton ran about today, didn't do too much but tried to put himself about. But for 60 minutes or so he was chasing down balls being lumped up to him against decent defenders. The lads 17 years old FFS tho k some folk are being harsh on him, he showed glimpses of what he has to offer.

Also, although I tend to agree that I feel personally McGurn is the better keeper, it's getting a bit cringy with the stick Cuthbert gets and comments like "McGurn would have saved that". The boy doesn't become a shite keeper overnight, and it's not his fault that he's being selected, bearing in mind what he had in front of him sometimes when he played last season you can see how goals were shipped. But it's hardly going to help the boy when he's continuously slated online when it's not his fault regarding selection. I know McGurn is a legend at the club but we don't know the ins and outs behind it all why he isn't getting played etc. but should be getting behind Cuthbert because he is actually a good keeper.

has to offer

If you're using Wighton up top as a lone striker - ability or not - at 17 years old that's a bit of a moronic game to play especially considering he's not the biggest and McKinnon knows he's more of an attacking midfielder than a striker, no?

Just me that worries that our supporters expectations of Wighton are going to be to the detriment of his progression?

Not just you, pal. Ray McKinnon was really keen to stress that Wighton isn't under any pressure, when he signed. I get the feeling that we're not paying much towards his wages. This loan is about his development. If he keeps going the way he has been, he'll be a real asset, but if his progression stalls, that's just the way it is. He's only started these two friendlies because Stewart's injured.

Have to say though, I don't think he's been that bad at all. He wasn't great today, and he squandered the chance that led to him getting injured, but I can't think of much else he got wrong.

As someone else said, Thomson concerns me more at this stage. I'm not sure he does fit the style of the team. Hopefully it's just a period of adjustment for him.

Does anyone know what sort of injury Stewart has? Not ideal for him to be missing more than a couple of pre-season games.

First 20 minutes I thought we played well knocked the ball about nicely and created some chances. Probably should have scored through McCord and whoever it was who hit the post.

After that I thought we went back to usual Rovers for me with the punts hoping to run in the channels.

Was impressed by craigen, quick feet and turn of pace, McCord looks to have a player in there, major concern for me is the fitness side of things but that will come. I thought he was spent after around the hour mark and some of his passes started to become sloppy. Vaughan looked sharp when he came on too. Megginson I thought was a bit meh tbh, but that's the first game I've seen in a while.

I just personally think thought that we are too lightweight in the middle of the park and I think in terms of real depth we are a few players short. Let's be serious the new batch of young boys are not going to be near the starting line up, giving them a couple of minutes here and there is no real good for their development and I'd rather see us put them on loan to lower league clubs if possible to get the game time that's needed. If we lose 1 or two of the midfielders trio then we are straight into throwing youngsters in and I think that's a bit concerning. Also, albeit Stewart is injured but we are really lightweight up top, could really do with someone up their to hold the ball up for the flair players to come around the box and get involved.

Wighton ran about today, didn't do too much but tried to put himself about. But for 60 minutes or so he was chasing down balls being lumped up to him against decent defenders. The lads 17 years old FFS tho k some folk are being harsh on him, he showed glimpses of what he has to offer.

Also, although I tend to agree that I feel personally McGurn is the better keeper, it's getting a bit cringy with the stick Cuthbert gets and comments like "McGurn would have saved that". The boy doesn't become a shite keeper overnight, and it's not his fault that he's being selected, bearing in mind what he had in front of him sometimes when he played last season you can see how goals were shipped. But it's hardly going to help the boy when he's continuously slated online when it's not his fault regarding selection. I know McGurn is a legend at the club but we don't know the ins and outs behind it all why he isn't getting played etc. but should be getting behind Cuthbert because he is actually a good keeper.

has to offer

We won't be playing 4-4-2 this season, that much is clear. Midfield Trio? Callachan, Craigan, McCord, Barr, Petrie and Matthews( he'll be pushing for first team this season).. So that's 6 players that can play CM before we look at the youngsters.. CM is the place I feel we have too much cover for. The only place in that team we are lacking cover is up front. Vaughan and Wighton were getting bullied left, right and centre today. But then again, it looks like Megginson and Anderson are going to be used as forwards this year, so they two on top of Stewart, Vaughan and Wighton would probably be classed as more than enough cover to Mckinnon as well. I still think we should be looking at another striker and I'd be more than happy with the squad we have for the season ahead..

Wighton wouldn't have played in midweek anyway, although that injury he picked up, may have ruled him out even if Dundee had allowed him to participate.

I'm not too concerned about the lack of goals, and not sure anyone should be at this point in time. Not only are Aberdeen and Hearts good teams, they're both ahead of us in terms of fitness too. If anything, I was pretty encouraged by what we created in the first half, hitting the post twice and fashioning a couple of other decent chances.

I do think we missed Craigen when he went off, and the gulf in class grew when the substitutions were made, with them bringing on a clutch of first teamers, while we were bringing on youths.

For the first half I thought we really moved it around well, and even the defence look like they've been told to keep it on the deck. Certainly more movement and options than we've seen recently.

Definitely tired second half, but to be expected really.

Incidentally, when was the last time we won a friendly? I reckon it might be against Stenhousemuir, and that was 2010.

Not just you, pal. Ray McKinnon was really keen to stress that Wighton isn't under any pressure, when he signed. I get the feeling that we're not paying much towards his wages. This loan is about his development. If he keeps going the way he has been, he'll be a real asset, but if his progression stalls, that's just the way it is. He's only started these two friendlies because Stewart's injured.

Have to say though, I don't think he's been that bad at all. He wasn't great today, and he squandered the chance that led to him getting injured, but I can't think of much else he got wrong.

As someone else said, Thomson concerns me more at this stage. I'm not sure he does fit the style of the team. Hopefully it's just a period of adjustment for him.

Does anyone know what sort of injury Stewart has? Not ideal for him to be missing more than a couple of pre-season games.

McKinnon was in the Ffp on Thursday saying it was a hamstring injury and that he should be fine for the Aberdeen game.. So he should be ok for Dundee id imagine..

Also just back on the Wighton subject, our new manager stressed that we had to not get carried away with the young lad as he is still learning. Lost count how many times in various interviews referred to this and after two games there's folk moaning about the lad.

Looking at the squad it's 3/4's a new starting line up from last season all hoping to play football in a different manner, it will take time for them all to get to know one another and that's what pre-season is all about. Aye they train everyday and travel to training etc but it's totally different from a game scenario. Folk just need to settle down and give players a chance, too quick to criticise and get on folks backs.

Also just back on the Wighton subject, our new manager stressed that we had to not get carried away with the young lad as he is still learning. Lost count how many times in various interviews referred to this and after two games there's folk moaning about the lad.

Looking at the squad it's 3/4's a new starting line up from last season all hoping to play football in a different manner, it will take time for them all to get to know one another and that's what pre-season is all about. Aye they train everyday and travel to training etc but it's totally different from a game scenario. Folk just need to settle down and give players a chance, too quick to criticise and get on folks backs.

Nobody on here are getting on any players backs..

Also the two players that I wasn't really that impressed with against Hearts and I was looking for something from them today were Craigan And Petrie and they were our two best players today Imo, so alls good.

Edited by Rovers1992/1993

Nobody on here are getting on any players backs..

You posted a few posts ago that you hope he plays for Dundee in the game on Wednesday. Am sure the young 17 year old lad will be buzzing with that comment and it will do his confidence wonders

Peter macdonald worked with Wighton personally and said he was a special kid with massive talent. Mcpake was at livi when they had snodgrass, dorrans etc and said Wighton has just as much potential amd gary harkins and kevin Thomson call him the wizard.

Ive seen him countless times and trust me he is a wonderful footballer. He will come good im sure of that, especially if deployed on the right position.