The New Raith Rovers Thread

Its a poor trait of football teams and certainly not just Raith that when it comes to signing a footballer if they feel that their getting a decent signing on the cheap it doesnt seem to matter how much baggage their carrying with them.  I'm sure we'll get the usual he deserves  a second chance bullshit that noone else in society seems to get. Look at Paul McGowan for instance. How many times has he assaulted a copper whilst at a club and yet he's still getting chances as he's seen as too important a player to lose for hee haw. If he'd had a normal run of the mill job he'd have been fired on the spot well before now. Hopefully Raith will recover their senses and bid him on his way.

Edited by Shadwell Dog

What did bene do? Excuse my ignorance.

http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/news/scottish-news/dundee-football-star-kyle-benedictus-1098406

The three of them played at Dundee together at the same time and Gallagher looked by far the most promising player of the three. If it wasn't for the baggage he's carrying he'd have moved to a bigger club than us.

Cheers ludo. At least bene seems to have learned from it in so much that he is our vice captain etc. Gallacher can do one though. I think with these things you have to think, how would I react? And what was the actual situation that led to this happening. It seems from that (to me at least) bene was maybe drunk having broken up with his Mrs, found a couple blokes in her house when he went and lost it. Possibly even provoked to an extent. Gallacher is very much a pre meditated incident and as much shows he's a bell end that we should show the (cell) door to asap.

I don't think know about anyone else, but I'm now convinced that our defensive options are now more than adequate and we don't need any more players there. 

Many footballers have committed crimes, but the nature of this one leaves me particularly cold - I would much prefer we have no association with Gallacher beyond the one we appear to have had (which I'm also uncomfortable about). Not pleased at all to have found this out.  

If it's a three year sentence then he'd normally expect to service eighteen months of it; he's now served ten months (in two spells) - from my limited knowledge of the system it doesn't seem abnormal or unreasonable that he should be allowed day release for placements. So I'm pretty sceptical of the claim that he's getting special treatment - and by and large I'm happy to encourage such rehabilitative schemes.

There's issues over and beyond that with someone going straight back into a high-profile job on their release, though, which I imagine we'd all have some pretty serious concerns about. Anyone know in what capacity he's with us at the moment? Is he training with the squad?

If it's a three year sentence then he'd normally expect to service eighteen months of it; he's now served ten months (in two spells) - from my limited knowledge of the system it doesn't seem abnormal or unreasonable that he should be allowed day release for placements. So I'm pretty sceptical of the claim that he's getting special treatment - and by and large I'm happy to encourage such rehabilitative schemes.

There's issues over and beyond that with someone going straight back into a high-profile job on their release, though, which I imagine we'd all have some pretty serious concerns about. Anyone know in what capacity he's with us at the moment? Is he training with the squad?

I'm not sure how this has only came about now as he's actually been traning with the squad for about 5-6 weeks now..

8 hours ago, Poet of the Macabre said:

All joking aside, Raith Rovers are a good club, supported by good people. It's therefore important that you guys let the directors know this guy is not welcome. He's a vicious thug.

Dunfermline were a good club,supported by good people,surely it was important that supporters and fellow directors let Masterton know,wracking up debt , shafting local businesses and the tax payer would cause misery and is not welcome

We did, hence why we saved the club.

Happy to help.

Genuine question but at what point is it OK and not ok to take a player with previous convictions? Benedictus and Davidson as mentioned have both fallen foul of the law but I presume by the lack of burning effigies they're ok, Gallagher not ok?

Don't get me wrong what Gallagher done is pretty vile but at what time can football clubs start shunning a player due to his previous?

Suppose it's a bit subjective based on harm caused and the nature of he crime etc. Obviously no-one wants a nonce at their club, but assaults seem a bit of a grey area. 

My opinions on Davidson are well known, though I'd have to say his was probably minor enough that it can be overlooked. The sheriff admonished him as well, so he can't have caused the victim too much harm (unlike Gallacher). I can forgive scuffles in clubs, but can't see anyone who assaults another with a baseball bat as anything other than a violent thug we should avoid. 

I guess ultimately it's up to the club. Much as my opinion of Gallacher is muck, that isn't a reason to completely strike him out of society all together. I would however rather that his shot at redemption was not with Raith Rovers. And yes, I do recognise that is a bit hypocritical.