The New Raith Rovers Thread

The retirement is his own decision to make, we need to respect it I suppose. I only wish we'd signed him ten years earlier.

He was with us ten years ago, and trust me when I say he wasn't much better.

It's a bit surprising the club has made no announcement regarding Stevenson as yet.

I have prepared a statement. The club can use it if they like.

We regret to announce that our reserve goalkeeper has left the club to take up a new position with Troon Juniors. Mind the cracking goal he scored against the Hibs?

So long, farewell, auf wiedersehen, goodbye. Goof luck and best wishes to Ryan Stevenson.

Tell you what, I never thought I'd be giving substitute Ryan Stevenson heartfelt applause as he jogged round to warm up. He went in nets in a hard away game and we nearly got something. That could've gone badly for him and he gave it a go.

Aye. We should give him a proper send off. Like club legend John Daly.

On a more serious note, it's absolutely shocking that Daly got a send off at Starks, while actual club legend Davie McGurn went away without any real recognition of his services for the club.

I feel a bit sorry for the likes of Grant Murray and Dougie Hill too. Murray obviously wasn't flavour of the month when he got punted, but he was a great player for us, and achieved some memorable cup runs as manager. Hill was also a stalwart who played 100+ games.

Davo is also an under appreciated player for us.

I love a utility player, I do.

1 hour ago, Scary Bear said:

On a more serious note, it's absolutely shocking that Daly got a send off at Starks, while actual club legend Davie McGurn went away without any real recognition of his services for the club.

I feel a bit sorry for the likes of Grant Murray and Dougie Hill too. Murray obviously wasn't flavour of the month when he got punted, but he was a great player for us, and achieved some memorable cup runs as manager. Hill was also a stalwart who played 100+ games.

hear hear 

2 hours ago, Scary Bear said:

It was utterly bemusing. Daly scored a diving header in a goal against Hibs, but added f**k all else to the team. 

McGurn's career included a 2nd division title, a Scottish Cup Semi Final appearance, but most importantly numerous ridiculous saves which at times had a huge influence on our seasons. Hee-haw for him leaving, though he'll get a testimonial. 

6 hours ago, MacGregor said:

Hold on. I don't advise the club.  This season's masterstrokes are nothing to do with me :whistle

:lol: Fair play for keeping your distance! 

I'm going to offer a partial vindication on Gary Locke that it wasn't just his management taking us down - the players simply aren't good enough. However, he signed about 16 of them so it's still ultimately his fault. 

And that's before we look at a squad of the size we have containing no bloody cover at full back at all. 

47 minutes ago, Michael W said:

I'm going to offer a partial vindication on Gary Locke that it wasn't just his management taking us down - the players simply aren't good enough. However, he signed about 16 of them so it's still ultimately his fault. 

And that's before we look at a squad of the size we have containing no bloody cover at full back at all. 

How many of them were actually worth a wage? 

In 50+ years of following Raith I can rarely remember such a large, mainly  "useless" squad.

Hope Locke takes some of his dross to Central Park.

7 minutes ago, Wee Sandy said:

How many of them were actually worth a wage? 

In 50+ years of following Raith I can rarely remember such a large, mainly  "useless" squad.

Hope Locke takes some of his dross to Central Park.

I've just had a look through our squad. Of the players who aren't already under contract for next season, I'd keep M'Voto, Thomson and possibly Benedictus. Craig Barr I like, but his injury record is quite possibly too risky. Everyone else can go. 

Of the players under contract, there are a couple I wouldn't keep either. However, the decision has already been made. 

There were also a couple that I'll be absolutely delighted to see leave, which is never a good thing. 

Edited by Michael W

This site is usually accurate for when contracts expire. Whether we like it or not the following will be here next year.

Cuthbert, Benedictus, C Barr, B Barr, Thomson, Davidson, Callachan and Stewart. In addition Ross Matthews is under contract until May 2019.

Edited by Beachbum