The New Raith Rovers Thread

1 minute ago, RR #1 said:

Maybe you could have fans switch between the south stand and the keytech stand by walking behind the railway stand. They already let people go out for a fag at that side of the south stand at half time so Surely it wouldn't be to much trouble to open the exit gate next to the old railway stand and walk up the other end if they wanted to.

Plod would insist that the club have both stands stewarded which would be a needless expense.

Just now, Zen Archer said:

Plod would insist that the club have both stands stewarded which would be a needless expense.

How many stewards would you need in that wee stand? Maybe you could even charge people a couple of quid for moving. Sitting in the south stand watching us shoot northwards isn't great at all. 

31 minutes ago, grumswall said:

Its pretty well documented that he owns the stadium no? It seems pretty common knowledge that he's just taken a controlling interest in the club?

How very dissapointing it is, having to explain the basics to people who should know better.

Yes he owns the stadium.

Certain elements of the restructuring of the club are unknown due to confidentiality thats all i,m saying

Regards folk not going to SP because its all seated,really?Not supporters then?

Edited by Rovers_Lad

Some people need to stop being so narrow minded. Sim owns Stark's Park and if he's willing to invest in to safe standing then great, not every decision has to be about how many pennies it directly brings in to the club. This is prime example of a change that has the potential to bring in more money but will most definitely improve the fan experience at matches which may not have direct value but is very beneficial to the supporters and club. As we've seen already on here, a lot of people are excited by it.

I think that was a great interview and he clearly knows what he's talking about, exciting time to be a Raith fan, it seems.

People will have multiple reasons why they might not go. There's plenty of locals who would go to games if certain circumstances were different. I've chatted with one of my mates and he said a few different reasons which are both within our control (pricing, to a degree) and outwith our control (no alcohol at games, summer football). It doesn't help it's a nightmare trying to get an atmosphere going unless the stand is full to the rafters which is a rare day. Ideally, we'd be able to get away from Stark's and get something in a location which gives us a bit of freedom. But again, that's wishful thinking.  

Allowing alcohol would be the biggest thing we could do to improve the match day experience at Stark's and in Scottish football. If the Americans can change their precious constitution for it then we, too, can end prohibition in Scottish football.

1 hour ago, steakngravy said:

There people who don't go to Rovers games because it's all seating so I think you are maybe a wee bit wrong with your observation.

There are also people who haven't been back to Stark's since the railway stand was closed. It's crying out to be reopened as the seated stand it once was.

13 minutes ago, JinglinGeordie said:

Some people need to stop being so narrow minded. Sim owns Stark's Park and if he's willing to invest in to safe standing then great, not every decision has to be about how many pennies it directly brings in to the club. This is prime example of a change that has the potential to bring in more money but will most definitely improve the fan experience at matches which may not have direct value but is very beneficial to the supporters and club. As we've seen already on here, a lot of people are excited by it.

I think that was a great interview and he clearly knows what he's talking about, exciting time to be a Raith fan, it seems.

I agree with your sentiment here. John Sim seems to have the viewpoint that both from a financial and experience point of view, we aren't getting much right in our current guise, so anything is worth at least considering. Its actually quite refreshing hearing ideas like bridging into the high school and sorts.

That said given his background, everything will be weighed against a cost and profitability.

Id be delighted if these things happen with Sims own funds. I just dont get the view that having a standing area and or opening the railway stand will see any real surge in people coming back.

If someone uses plastic seats as a reason to not go to football then you have to wonder how long they'd stay as a supporter.

19 minutes ago, JinglinGeordie said:

Got to agree, there is nothing wrong with looking at ways to improve the match day experience, will standing have fans flooding in, probably not but it could create a section to add a bit of atmosphere to games combine it with other improvements and you might see an increase.  There is no magic wand solution but there is nothing wrong with Sim trying to make improvements within our/his budget.   I for one would welcome a standing section at Starks Park.  

Id be delighted if these things happen with Sims own funds. I just dont get the view that having a standing area and or opening the railway stand will see any real surge in people coming back.

If someone uses plastic seats as a reason to not go to football then you have to wonder how long they'd stay as a supporter.

I don't think standing will see a rush of folk going back from day 1 but to me it seems to be about doing things to incrementally improve the match day experience down at Stark's. That should hopefully see a long term benefit combined with other factors.

4 minutes ago, CALDERON said:

Sim isn't daft, he's not going to waste money for the sake of it. As he said in the interview it's something they're considering like everything else. It does seem like the Railway Stand is going to be seeing big changes, maybe that will be the place where additional changing rooms will be located for day-to-day use community use?

I think for a long time we've been underestimating fan experience at matches and like he said, our fan base is ageing. We need to be investing in the future of the club by working out ways to attract the younger generations to matches, another thing I would love to see implemented is a singing section - has been very popular with clubs like Motherwell.

2 minutes ago, The Real Ceecilia said:

Apologies for bringing up old ground, but can any of you give a summary of the Colin McGowan era at your club and what other characters were around at that point ?

Certainly Mr Short, what would you like to know?

Mr Sim stated something in his interview about refurbing the ground to make it a 6 thousand capacity. I can't see him knocking down the stands behind the goals, both of those would give us that capacity. Are his plans then to do away with the railway and main stands?

4 minutes ago, The Real Ceecilia said:

Apologies for bringing up old ground, but can any of you give a summary of the Colin McGowan era at your club and what other characters were around at that point ?

Short, McGowan and some dodgy boy from Dundee who's name escapes me.