The New Raith Rovers Thread

I know ill get shot down for this but here goes. Majority of raith fans would have been delighted if loy had signed despite him being murder last season.... One goal against brechin I think he managed (I may be wrong). But we have totally given up any hope in Buchanan who the season before last was banging them in and won a winners medal. I think Buchanan could be a big player for us this season if..... Yes if.... We manage to get the right type of midfielders in to create chances for him. He wasn't great last season but Smiths tatctics didn't exactly play to his strengths.... Yeah maybe I'm just clutching at straws here, but I'm trying my Bloody hardest to remain a wee bit positive [emoji23][emoji23]

I know ill get shot down for this but here goes. Majority of raith fans would have been delighted if loy had signed despite him being murder last season.... One goal against brechin I think he managed (I may be wrong). But we have totally given up any hope in Buchanan who the season before last was banging them in and won a winners medal. I think Buchanan could be a big player for us this season if..... Yes if.... We manage to get the right type of midfielders in to create chances for him. He wasn't great last season but Smiths tatctics didn't exactly play to his strengths.... Yeah maybe I'm just clutching at straws here, but I'm trying my Bloody hardest to remain a wee bit positive [emoji23][emoji23]

It’s not that controversial a view. I haven’t heard of Loy doing much recently. Maybe he’s still a player but maybe he’s another player on the wind down who is selling a name to desperate football clubs. Time will tell.

Don’t worry, there will be plenty other straws for us to clutch at. There’s always a glut of players freed every season and they all need homes for the coming season. Just need to wait and see what rocks up at the shores of San Starko.

For me, the full time/part time debate comes down to quality vs quantity.  I'd expect at this level we would either run full time with a smaller pool of quality players, or have more strength and depth by going part time (or a hybrid model) but reducing the quality a wee bit.

We are currently in a bit of danger of not having an abundance of either.

I personally don't think the fitness benefits are as tangible anymore, on the face of it we didn't look particularly fitter than our part time opponents.  Looking at some of the goals we conceded and our horrendous corners and set pieces then there wasn't a huge apparent benefit on working on these things all day.  I said it a few times last season, but when you leather the ball up the pitch for 90 minutes I imagine you don't retain much competitive edge by being a full time team. 

I'm all for the club remaining full time if it gets us out of this god forsaken league, but I just have a horrible feeling that the lack of depth will really hurt us - and I'm not convinced that even with everyone fit we will have the best 11 in the league. We will need to see significant improvement from a good few of our "better" players compared to last season, coupled with some sensible recruitment for that to be the case. There will also be a lot of pressure on some pretty much untrsted young guys.

From a rather crude devil's advocate point of view, you could question why a club who can spend £500k plus on a new pitch can't compete with part time clubs half their size for players. I understand the various economics on both sides that make that quite a simplistic statement, but I'd bet some people who haven't bought season tickets yet may be asking those questions.

Feel sorry for Gillespie though as that's a very good signing at this level that's been ignore a bit.

Edited by CALDERON

4 hours ago, CALDERON said:

For me, the full time/part time debate comes down to quality vs quantity.  I'd expect at this level we would either run full time with a smaller pool of quality players, or have more strength and depth by going part time (or a hybrid model) but reducing the quality a wee bit.

I don’t think it’s as simple as that. 

There’s not a cut-off point where you play full-time if you’re better than the cut-off or part-time if you’re worse. 

We saw when we had the likes of McGurn and Gary Wales that there are players out there that are capable of playing at the top end of the championship but who prefer to play part-time football. 

I believe if we’d gone to a hybrid system this season we’d have been able to keep the backbone of the team (I.e the defence) full-time and have the pick of the best part-time players. 

There must be a reason not many clubs do  that though, it must be difficult in terms of training. 

I agree with the rest of your points though, perhaps we should have gone to part-time. I guess we’ll know in a few months whether we made the right decision. 

The history books certainly suggest they the full time team prevails in this league, but there wasn't much between us and the better part time sides in the second half of last season.  

We certainly need to have another one of our good starts to the season. 

A decent manager of a full-time club who recruits well, will virtually always win a part-time league.

The Dunfermline team who finished seventh in this division a few years ago, didn’t fail because they remained full-time, it was because they made a hash of their managerial appointment.

There’s no chance that the four players mentioned in the Press were the only four we’ve been talking to, and I’d imagine we’ve other irons in the fire, which hopefully excite us and can lead a title tilt.

I do think this season is make-or-break in terms of us remaining full-time though, and arguably for Barry Smith’s career.

So much talk about Dumbarton and Loy etc, however I think Arbroath and Airdrie will give us a run for our money this season.

As for the Sons they have signed Rory Loy, a player who may do well, have to say that anytime I saw him play for Falkirk he appeared a huffy get when the ball wasn't played directly to his feet, not sure he's a worker, was not impressed.

They also have the late great Bobby Barr at the  Rock,too.......^_^

Edited by Wee Sandy

6 minutes ago, Wee Sandy said:

So much talk about Dumbarton and Loy etc, however I think Arbroath and Airdrie will give us a run for our money this season.

As for the Sons they have signed Rory Loy, a player who may do well, have to say that anytime I saw him play for Falkirk he appeared a huffy get when the ball wasn't played directly to his feet, not sure he's a worker, was not impressed.

Just need Davo to upend Boaby Barr and he'll shy away the rest of the game when we play them.

7 minutes ago, Wee Sandy said:

At this point, in my opinion it seems presumptuous to think we'll be the pace setters who others will be running against. I could see us struggling for top 4 if we don't sign better than what we have currently.

4 minutes ago, renton said:

At this point, in my opinion it seems presumptuous to think we'll be the pace setters who others will be running against. I could see us struggling for top 4 if we don't sign better than what we have currently.

How is that "presumptuous"? 

I simply said they'd give us a run for our money, alluding to nothing other than in the race, never mind "setting the pace" !!

Edited by Wee Sandy

7 minutes ago, renton said:

3rd or 4th has the same chance of promotion as coming a close 2nd

3 minutes ago, Wee Sandy said:

How is that "presumptuous"? 

I simply said they'd give us a run for our money, alluding to nothing other than in the race, never mind "setting the pace" !!

My point is that I'm not sure we'll get into the race, let alone be in the position where we can marvel at others giving us a run for our money.