The New Raith Rovers Thread

Don't see why we shouldn't be considering offering Cummings a deal. Actually think McGlynn might get him to screw the nut and he'd absolutely score goals at this level.

Harry - nah, apart from his goal against Rangers he did the square root of heehaw when he was with us. 

Goodwillie - as Calderon mentioned no one else has taken a punt on him which tells it's own story. 

I think Varian will stay until the end of the season, as will Pop, and that McGlynn won't bother about getting a striker in. Is Keatings due back in January, does he still exist? 

11 minutes ago, Raithie said:

Don't see why we shouldn't be considering offering Cummings a deal. Actually think McGlynn might get him to screw the nut and he'd absolutely score goals at this level.

Harry - nah, apart from his goal against Rangers he did the square root of heehaw when he was with us. 

Goodwillie - as Calderon mentioned no one else has taken a punt on him which tells it's own story. 

I think Varian will stay until the end of the season, as will Pop, and that McGlynn won't bother about getting a striker in. Is Keatings due back in January, does he still exist? 

I highly suspect we'll be punting Keatings back out on loan unless he's made some Lazarus like recovery of his strength and fitness.

We absolutely need a striker. Varian has played almost every game and there are a couple of points to raise with this. 

1. He is 18/19 years old and that is a lot to ask of a player at that stage. 

2. He does work hard and creates space for others but ultimately he has scored twice. 

Poplatnik is similar but doesn't get starts. Now this style has been conducive to McGlynnball so far but we ultimately need a forward that scores and other options for playing. 

Up front the problem appears to be Varian, and not just because he doesn't score goals. It's the fact that his loan contract appears to stipulate that he must start.

That being the case any new arrival will be sitting on the bench, which changes nothing.

Or Varian returns to Stoke, we sign Cummings and Gullan and play 2 up front.

What's not to like?

11 minutes ago, Hank Scorpio said:

I did initially think that Cummings might be worth a punt, but he is a most un-McGlynn like player. A wee scum bag ned with too much money and not enough between his ears. Quite suited to them along the road, I’d say. 

Maybe, but there is no doubt there is soem stagnant ability there, and we desperately need someone who will cause problems in the box. Even just as a plan B to McGlynn ball, we need to be able to go more basic.

Edited by renton

21 minutes ago, Beachbum said:

Up front the problem appears to be Varian, and not just because he doesn't score goals. It's the fact that his loan contract appears to stipulate that he must start.

That being the case any new arrival will be sitting on the bench, which changes nothing.

Or Varian returns to Stoke, we sign Cummings and Gullan and play 2 up front.

What's not to like?

Does it? I'm sure Poplatnik has started a couple of games in front of him.

15 minutes ago, renton said:

It comes up all the time with various loan deals at various clubs, and I'd be amazed if it were true. There's absolutely no way McGlynn would let his hands be tied like that.

I believe some loan deals have differing fees depending on how much a player is used, but again, I'd be staggered if it was ever enough to meaningfully influence selection. 

9 minutes ago, renton said:

Varian (Starts) 19 - (Sub/off) 12 - (Sub/on) 6 - (Unused/sub) 0

Poplatnik (Starts) 9 - (Sub/off) 8 - (Sub/on) 15 - (Unused/sub) 3

I'm actually a Varian fan. IMO he wins far more of the ball than he should but unfortunately he's not got the predatory instinct or scoring touch.  This isn't new it has been happening all season but goals have dried up of late and folks are getting edgy.

The reason we're unhappy is probably that goals have dried up of late for Zanatta, Ross and Conolly (our 3 top scorers) yet we are lamenting the form of a a guy that has only 2 goals to his name, anyone know how many assists out of interest?

I think we may just need someone more efficient to play off him, as I say he wins far more balls than he's entitled to but who is there to capatalise on that?  Ross certainly had plenty freedom at Douglas Park last month and I seem to recall a lot of that being down to Varian dragging the Accies defenders from pillar to post,   the good form on that day of Zanatta might also be attributed to the engineered spaces opening up in front of him.

11 minutes ago, SirJimmyofNic said:

Happily replace both of them, but if we cant find a way to counter a high press then no matter who your striker is its all academic

Agreed. Need Stanton to hit the ground running and provide the same service Spencer does.