The New Raith Rovers Thread

4 hours ago, philpy said:

Someone mentioned declan Gallagher, at least he's sorted himself out, got a few Scotland caps. He's also shown genuine remorse. Goodwillie has shown fuckall. This simply cannot be allowed to happen.

My recollection DG showed no remorse for baseball batting  a guy leaving him with a fractured skull and bleed on the brain

15 minutes ago, Rovers_Lad said:

My recollection DG showed no remorse for baseball batting  a guy leaving him with a fractured skull and bleed on the brain

Closer to home did Iain Davidson not seriously assault someone in Kirkcaldy. Did he show remorse, I can't remember  but fans supported him through think and thin

Edited by raith1974
Spelling

21 minutes ago, Ebanda's Handyman Services said:

I'm obviously no expert on the case but I can confidently assume that Goodwillie vehemently denied the allegations. 

If that was the case, why would he show any remorse for something that he maintains never happened? 

He denies that he raped the victim. It is accepted the act which gave rise to the accusation of rape happened. 

He may not have been found criminally guilty, but he still did what he did and was indeed found to have raped his victim by the civil court. What he did was wrong and even if he hasn't been convicted of it, I would expect remorse for the impact this has had on the victim's life. Even if he continues to think he didn't rape his victim, he has to recognise that his actions that night were not at all acceptable and that he has committed a pretty severe personal failing. I'm being quite charitable to him here: I've read the civil report and am left thinking he's a lucky man that the case didn't go in front of a jury. 

11 minutes ago, raith1974 said:

Closer to home did Iain Davidson not seriously assault someone in Kirkcaldy. Did he show remorse, I can't remember  but fans supported him through think and thin

He punched somebody whilst holding a bottle  at Kittys,injury,black eye

Davo pleaded guilty and was admonished

Edited by Rovers_Lad

4 hours ago, Broken Algorithms said:

Current feeling:

5ze23t.jpg

Fwiw, I don't think it'll happen. The fans have been vocal in their response and it would be utter batshit mental to sign a player for money who will alienate a large proportion of them. 

To be fair, if we’re going to go down the route of signing sex offenders, then singing songs against sex offenders may offend them. 

14 minutes ago, raith1974 said:

Just for clarity here, are you comparing the time Iain Davidson gave a guy in Kitty’s a black eye, a case the judge didn’t hand down a punishment due to the level of provocation involved, to the David Goodwillie incident? 

3 minutes ago, McGuigan1978 said:

Just for clarity here, are you comparing the time Iain Davidson gave a guy in Kitty’s a black eye, a case the judge didn’t hand down a punishment due to the level of provocation involved, to the David Goodwillie incident? 

It' appears so.

Strange what some folk will turn a blind eye to just cos somebody can score a few goals. 

25 minutes ago, Raith Against The Machine said:

I won't bother providing a link, but I see "FFP Paul" was last to the trough on sticking up a re-hashed article for this one, and still managed to completely misread the room and describe it as a "cracking signing". 

While misspelling the names of both the strikers on our books in the article. 

1 hour ago, Rovers_Lad said:

1 hour ago, raith1974 said:

These would be valid points if Goodwillie’s assault conviction was the issue people had with him signing, but it’s not. It’s the “he’s a rapist” thing.

I wouldn’t particularly have a problem with Thistle signing a player who a court have determined committed an assault. I would have a problem with Thistle signing a player who a court have determined to be a rapist. They’re different actions, and one is, in my eyes, significantly worse than the other.

You won’t be signing him anyway, so it’s all a moot point. He’ll finish his career at Clyde. 

Unfortunately we have been short all season up top due to a number of factors and it comes across as a bit of desperation going after Goodwillie IMO if true, James Keatings should take a hard look at his self clearly he doesn’t give a monkeys caley didn’t fancy him then we sign him which at the time I thought mmm  good signing which hasn’t worked out due to a number of unknown reasons he then goes to Montrose on loan and can’t get a game for them yet we are paying him full time wages 🤷‍♂️🤷‍♂️ You would think he would want to prove a point to Mcglynn , Where do Rovers go next ? Might be pie in the sky but why not try and go for Nathan Austin Kelty can only tell us to bolt or out price the move  

Varian extended until the end of the season. 

https://www.thecourier.co.uk/fp/sport/football/2864355/raith-rovers-transfer-news-stoke-city-ethon-varian-rangers-ben-williamson/?utm_source=twitter&utm_medium=social

Some better news concerning strikers today. We can do with improving in that department still, right enough, but that's an immediate problem averted. 

1 hour ago, Squirrelhumper said:

It' appears so.

Strange what some folk will turn a blind eye to just cos somebody can score a few goals. 

No but I'm trying to put this into prospective.

1. We are only rumoured to be signing him and fans are throwing toys out of their pram.

2. Unless people on here know different, no one knows what happened that night.

3. There is a reason why the prosecution took no proceedings. Again no one on here will know why that was.

4. He was not convicted of a criminal offence, he was found guilty at a civil court which has different levels for a prosecution. Beyond all reasonable doubt in criminal, balance of probability in civil.

5. People asking him to show remorse when he has denied the incident reported.

6. Several footballers, actors, politicians, general members of public have done wrong, very wrong and convicted of a criminal offence. Should they be allowed to rehabilitate or be told no.

I'm not drawing a comparison with an assault to a rape and I don't really want him signing for us, as there must be younger, better players out there, but Clyde gave him a chance why shouldn't other clubs.

26 minutes ago, oneteaminglasgow said:

These would be valid points if Goodwillie’s assault conviction was the issue people had with him signing, but it’s not. It’s the “he’s a rapist” thing.

I wouldn’t particularly have a problem with Thistle signing a player who a court have determined committed an assault. I would have a problem with Thistle signing a player who a court have determined to be a rapist. They’re different actions, and one is, in my eyes, significantly worse than the other.

You won’t be signing him anyway, so it’s all a moot point. He’ll finish his career at Clyde. 

Not trying to make a valid point I was responding to a previous post regards Gallagher showing remorse

I wouldn,t be at ease signing a utter thug like Gallagher but if we did It wouldn,t stop me going.Its mute anyway

2 hours ago, raith1974 said:

No but I'm trying to put this into prospective.

1. We are only rumoured to be signing him and fans are throwing toys out of their pram.

2. Unless people on here know different, no one knows what happened that night.

3. There is a reason why the prosecution took no proceedings. Again no one on here will know why that was.

4. He was not convicted of a criminal offence, he was found guilty at a civil court which has different levels for a prosecution. Beyond all reasonable doubt in criminal, balance of probability in civil.

5. People asking him to show remorse when he has denied the incident reported.

6. Several footballers, actors, politicians, general members of public have done wrong, very wrong and convicted of a criminal offence. Should they be allowed to rehabilitate or be told no.

I'm not drawing a comparison with an assault to a rape and I don't really want him signing for us, as there must be younger, better players out there, but Clyde gave him a chance why shouldn't other clubs.

I'll try and reply to these things logically;

1 - Fans are reacting how they like to a rumour that the club may be signing a player who was found guilty in a civil court of rape. You might regard that as an overreaction, and that's fine, everyone is entitled to their opinion, but so is everyone else. 

2 - I read the civil case notes when they were released, and they're unbelievably grim. Feel free to read them yourself, they're available online, and have already been posted on here. 

3 - The burden of proof in rape cases is such that a massive amount of them never go to court. Not because there's no evidence, far from it, but that it's very, very difficult to prosecute, even in cases that seem reasonably open and shut. 

4 - I find this one quite interesting, in that some people seem to have an issue with it being proven on "balance of probability." Lets face it, that's how we judge most things, and on this occasion, a genuine judge, decided he and David Robertson raped a woman. Lets not forget, they also lost their appeal case. 

5 - He either doesn't think he's done anything wrong, or denies it, so this will never happen. 

6 - You're right lots of footballers, politicians, actors and members of the public have done wrong, and in most, arguably every case, I don't want any of them representing Raith Rovers Football Club.

They are of course, allowed to rehabilitate themselves, and I'm very much a believer in that. However, there's a big gap between becoming an electrician for example, and being handed a one or two year deal by a club who, according to their Concordat,  want to be a respected football club, and one that aims to make decisions that will have the long term future of the club at heart. 

David Goodwillie's signing would contradict both of those things, and I've emailed our SLO to mention it. 

Edited by McGuigan1978