The New Raith Rovers Thread

I’ve heard there is another statement being released before the weekend. No idea if it is any form of U-turn or if it will be doubling down on the previous double down.

I’m not really sure I see the point tbh. Unless it’s ‘We can confirm we have cancelled the contract of David Goodwillie’ which it won’t be then I don’t see how it can improve the situation. They will only make it worse as they did with their previous attempt. Even any form of apology is empty and doesn’t resolve anything at this stage.

6 hours ago, Hursty said:

The worrying thing is that a fair number of them probably think he hasn't done anything wrong and think the outrage is down to the 'woke brigade' etc and that he was just being "one of the lads, could have happened to anyone with a wee dirty"

Exactly this, I got the same reply from a work colleague who thinks hes done nothing bad, just a night out gone wrong, he's suffered enough, we've all been there and woken up next to someone and thought wtf blah blah.

There's a lack of attention to detail in someone who thinks like this and a lack of moral compass and compassion or its just lazy thinking and assumptions.  

Even if we dont agree with much of the WOKE brigade, and I don't take much interest in them, the stigma is hugely damaging to Raith, a lot of people are talking about this in their workplaces etc

5 hours ago, San Starko Rover said:

Is a lot of it not through the college? A statement! The statement guy had probably resigned too. 

In terms of RaithTV, the volunteers that would do this have full time jobs who are committed Raith Rovers supporters, it was not done through the college. The equipment is the clubs.

Edited by Roath Raver

Just now, Firefoxer said:

Have some back bone raith rovers!  And sign the guy and play him!  

The case he was involved in was years ago and a overall flimsy case ,  no criminal charges were made and frankly he has every right to earn a living at his chosen job. 

All this garbage about footballers being role models is ridiculous. 

Goodwillie is an innocent man as our justice system proved. 

He raped someone.

14 minutes ago, R.R.FC said:

I’ve heard there is another statement being released before the weekend. No idea if it is any form of U-turn or if it will be doubling down on the previous double down.

I’m not really sure I see the point tbh. Unless it’s ‘We can confirm we have cancelled the contract of David Goodwillie’ which it won’t be then I don’t see how it can improve the situation. They will only make it worse as they did with their previous attempt. Even any form of apology is empty and doesn’t resolve anything at this stage.

I'm surprised there is anyone left at Starks to leak anything.

But, aye, in all seriousness there is nothing short of "he's fucked off" is going to help and even then that is someway short of what is needed now.

9 minutes ago, Firefoxer said:

The case he was involved in was years ago and a overall flimsy case ,  no criminal charges were made and frankly he has every right to earn a living at his chosen job. 

Why did a judge rule that he was a rapist and order him to pay £100k to his victim?

31 minutes ago, R.R.FC said:

Raith Rovers Football Club would like to release the following additional statement regarding the signing of David Goodwillie: 

milk-lemonade.gif

29 minutes ago, Roath Raver said:

In terms of RaithTV, the volunteers that would do this have full time jobs who are committed Raith Rovers supporters, it was not done through the college. The equipment is the clubs.

Niall, as someone who was close to the club, do you know if there are any volunteers who have not yet resigned their positions?

Is there anyone left for example who would be used to posting updates to social media or the website?

Edited to add- I understand if answering this feels uncomfortable so no pressure to respond.

Edited by stevoraith

25 minutes ago, Firefoxer said:

Have you actually read the details of the civil case?

He's a rapist, nothing flimsy about it

Even if the remaining Directors of Raith Rovers believe that they have done nothing wrong in signing Goodwillie given the loss of sponsors etc. and the likely ongoing financial impact of this decision are they not in breach of their fiduciary duty to the Club if they continue down this route. 

I'm far from a legal expert but could that not be a starting point for their removal? 

Is there any mechanism to call a EGM? 

From my hopeless optimist point of view the club still have a very small window to stop the damage from spreading even further.

A statement today or tomorrow admitting that they failed to act in accordance with the clubs stated values contained in the concordat, failed to appreciate the impact the signing would have on the Raith community and the women involved with Raith in particular, and that Goodwillie will never wear a Raith shirt is the bare minimum that is needed.

A humble statement admitting they fucked up with no attempt at justification.

As soon as his name is on a team sheet, even if he doesn't play, we are past he point of no return.

7 hours ago, roverthemoon said:

No fan of Sturgeon, but as a Raith fan I’m absolutely fucking delighted she’s weighing in on this. Keeps it in the news and the pressure on the fuckwits who have just shat on our club

I've got no great problem with people from outside the club weighing in. I do have a problem with someone who ignored the less than perfect behaviour of her mentor towards women, until they fell out, and whose Westminster chief whip (Patrick Grady) resigned pending investigation for alleged sexual misconduct (almost three years later the internal party investigation is incomplete) now suddenly saying their piece.

Edited by Specky Ginger

2 minutes ago, John MacLean said:

Even if the remaining Directors of Raith Rovers believe that they have done nothing wrong in signing Goodwillie given the loss of sponsors etc. and the likely ongoing financial impact of this decision are they not in breach of their fiduciary duty to the Club if they continue down this route. 

I'm far from a legal expert but could that not be a starting point for their removal? 

Is there any mechanism to call a EGM? 

I do wonder if the departure of all.the volunteers will be what forces the any u-turn. The club have lost about 30 of them and must be at the point where they are going to struggle to host home matches. 

Unfortunately, John Sim holds just about all of the voting power and he was prominent in making this move happen. 

4 minutes ago, Ro Sham Bo said:

So Benedictus becomes the first player to comment with some awkward sounding comments in the Courier. 

https://www.thecourier.co.uk/fp/sport/football/2972781/kyle-benedictus-david-goodwillie-raith-rovers/

Oh Christ.  That doesn't help.

Silence would have been better, at least we could have deluded ourselves that there was some dressing room revolt.

5 minutes ago, Ro Sham Bo said:

So Benedictus becomes the first player to comment with some awkward sounding comments in the Courier. 

https://www.thecourier.co.uk/fp/sport/football/2972781/kyle-benedictus-david-goodwillie-raith-rovers/

Awkward in what way? He's pretty clear in what he's saying, it's just that what he's saying is absolutely awful.