The New Raith Rovers Thread

Got to the end of writing this and realised how long it was so apologies for anyone who can be arsed reading my ramblings. 

This whole singing section in the railway stand can get put in the bin. It was a daft idea but it did detract from the overall atmosphere amongst the home end yesterday. There where a few games last season where my Mrs could hear the fans starks from up torbain way, that just isn't going to happen by splitting the support to opposite ends of the ground. 

Has there always been this young team fighting culture or have I just not noticed it until last season? It needs put in the bin along with the railway stand idea Imo. 

On the game itself, I thought we where the better team overall. Our weaknesses where obvious in that we didn't have alot of defensive cover from midfield although stanton did decent enough in that role. Mcgill is a decent player and once Watson started helping him out a bit more in the second half mccan, who I was impressed with, wasn't as effective. For as sound as mcgill is at the basics in pretty much every position, he needs a run of games in one position to really help him flourish. Keeping Watson fit could be massive for us depending on who else we bring in defensively this season. He talks constantly and organises well. His experience could prove vital to any success we have. I wasn't massively impressed with dabrowski but similarly I wasn't massively dissapointed. I'd have liked to have seen him in fighting for the no1 spot with macdonald. His biggest weakness appeared to be sticking to his line too much, which considering Robbie is the same and also the one coaching him, could prove a little worrying with a relatively slow defence. He did have one good moment in the first half with getting off his line though so hopefully just a confidence thing that can be coached in to him. Gullan has talent. I have no idea how he was made motm by the fans? Yesterday though. Works hard and was unlucky not to score the fk with a great strike but he too often makes the wrong pass or moves in the wrong direction at crucial moments. I think it was broken algorithms who said we'd all agree he should play off the left, yes but at the same time I still have no idea where his natural game is. He's so frustrating for me as there's clearly something there that could have him kick on but similar to mcgill he needs a run of games in one spot to see where he can really thrive and kick on. I thought mullin was poor overall but his delivery from corners was very good. I was impressed with Edwards and mccan down that side so it could just be a case that mcgill and mulling struggled with the. Smith worked hard but was wasteful at times but I did like his endeavour to track back. You could see Vaughan was looking sharper and fit. Some of his link up play and touches where beautiful. I had a pars fan message me during the game saying you could tell he was the best player on the pitch at one stage. 

Tl/Dr but apologies again for the length of this. 

Think it’s early days for the singing section so wouldn’t write it off just yet. If it builds momentum it could attract more folk and add to the atmosphere at run of the mill games. Club needs to stamp down on any flare damage and Norrie’s McCathie songs though (if this was sung yesterday).  Leave that sort of pish to the Old Firm.

Just now, roverthemoon said:

Think it’s early days for the singing section so wouldn’t write it off just yet. If it builds momentum it could attract more folk and add to the atmosphere at run of the mill games. Club needs to stamp down on any flare damage and Norrie’s McCathie songs though (if this was sung yesterday).  Leave that sort of pish to the Old Firm.

No, but they let themselves down by chanting about Bene.

38 minutes ago, Raith Against The Machine said:

Wait, we're apologising for long rambling posts now? I'm in real bother. 

It's just polite to. 

The entire dynamic of splitting the support to opposite ends of the stadium won't work well. Even if more people end up in that area, it still leaves a flat atmosphere in the ss/ main stand. 

The songs aimed at bene where just daft. The guy was nothing but a good servant for us and clearly has an affinity with the town seing as he stays here, or did last I seen. He moved to a club that offered a better deal when he's in the later stages of his career. Where's the issue? It's this pish that is giving the young team a bad image, along with needlessly destroying parts of our pitch. Everyone has bent over backwards to accommodate and help them because they do provide something fresh to the support but that pish can f**k right off. 

4 minutes ago, grumswall said:

The entire dynamic of splitting the support to opposite ends of the stadium won't work well. Even if more people end up in that area, it still leaves a flat atmosphere in the ss/ main stand. 

Which is why there’s speculation that the home fans will be moving to the North Stand as part of some master plan. Obviously it wouldn’t be this year, which is why the “Singing Section” announcement seemed a bit surprising.

1 hour ago, grumswall said:

On the game itself, I thought we where the better team overall. Our weaknesses where obvious in that we didn't have alot of defensive cover from midfield although stanton did decent enough in that role. Mcgill is a decent player and once Watson started helping him out a bit more in the second half mccan, who I was impressed with, wasn't as effective. For as sound as mcgill is at the basics in pretty much every position, he needs a run of games in one position to really help him flourish. Keeping Watson fit could be massive for us depending on who else we bring in defensively this season. He talks constantly and organises well. His experience could prove vital to any success we have. I wasn't massively impressed with dabrowski but similarly I wasn't massively dissapointed. I'd have liked to have seen him in fighting for the no1 spot with macdonald. His biggest weakness appeared to be sticking to his line too much, which considering Robbie is the same and also the one coaching him, could prove a little worrying with a relatively slow defence. He did have one good moment in the first half with getting off his line though so hopefully just a confidence thing that can be coached in to him. Gullan has talent. I have no idea how he was made motm by the fans? Yesterday though. Works hard and was unlucky not to score

Watson will, I expect, be talking with Thomson, Dabs and IM about a need to see Dabs off the line more. IM’s experience at CH will make it easier for Watson’s input to be heard.

McGill certainly would benefit from a stretch at a single position.

I heard Gullan announced as the MotM for the Match Sponsor, did he get Fans too?

On 15/07/2023 at 15:01, Broken Algorithms said:

4th tier. Nearly a 30000 seater stadium. Read an article this morning where he said he only signed a one year deal on the basis he belief he could kick on and get a better deal after leaving. 

Best of luck to the lad. Came across as a nice guy, and it might be he benefits from the style of play over there.

Was at that stadium for a Spain v Scotland match. A certain David Goodwillie scored for Scotland.

11 minutes ago, TxRover said:

Which is why there’s speculation that the home fans will be moving to the North Stand as part of some master plan. Obviously it wouldn’t be this year, which is why the “Singing Section” announcement seemed a bit surprising.

Watson will, I expect, be talking with Thomson, Dabs and IM about a need to see Dabs off the line more. IM’s experience at CH will make it easier for Watson’s input to be heard.

McGill certainly would benefit from a stretch at a single position.

I heard Gullan announced as the MotM for the Match Sponsor, did he get Fans too?

We won’t be moving to the North Stand. There’s no way for the fans to vote now as the app was stopped. It was hardly the best barometer anyway. 

22 minutes ago, roverthemoon said:

The plans are to put a sports bar where the office is. For home fans, so no way they’ll switch ends. The singing section is only where it is because it’s the only free part of the ground with seats. 

This. Chuck in the three or four other bars,suites and lounges in the south end and it's clear we're not going to move.

The only reason this topic has come up is because a few folk have mentioned it online. The logistics of it kills it right away.

39 minutes ago, Hank Scorpio said:

We won’t be moving to the North Stand. There’s no way for the fans to vote now as the app was stopped. It was hardly the best barometer anyway. 

Who was it that voted on motm yesterday? I'm guessing the sponsors 

The club should be applauded for the effort,  but having a signing section that far away won't help the overall atmosphere.  Similar to years ago when folk moved from the back to the front of the South Stand, then wondered why nobody else joined in the singing.

Ideally there would have been a section of the South Stand for them, but that would involve putting out existing season ticket holders.

That said, continue throwing smoke bombs on the artifical surface and it will be a moot point.  Really daft stuff.

One of the biggest ironies about Stark's is that for all it's much more than we need in terms of capacity, it's an absolute headache if we're trying to figure out where to host any 'singing section'. If you suggest any part of the South Stand, then there'll be folk raging that 'their seats' have been taken by other people. Which is fair enough - I sit by the same folk every week at games and I've gotten to know the folks about me.  Others have mentioned before that there was damage to seating up the back and people standing on the stairwells at some games last season because they all want to be up the back. 

The board were quite transparent that they're not perfect and won't get everything right. This might well fall into that category. I'd be keen to see what the section section is like when it's full but if it does get scrapped, then I can understand why. 

Just now, grumswall said:

Who was it that voted on motm yesterday? I'm guessing the sponsors 

It was the Morgan family who were sponsoring the match.

On a more positive note, it's good to see the Titan being used on match day now for at least some guests. 

14 minutes ago, Broken Algorithms said:

This. Chuck in the three or four other bars,suites and lounges in the south end and it's clear we're not going to move.

The only reason this topic has come up is because a few folk have mentioned it online. The logistics of it kills it right away.

There's also the issue with tiles and sponsored steps in the south stand.

A fairly minor point in the grand scheme of things, but a point nonetheless.