The New Raith Rovers Thread

18 minutes ago, raith1974 said:

Hamilton is good in the air maybe in training they should just constantly throw crosses into the box for a while and get Hamilton attacking the goal and see if Dabrowski can dominate. 

Maybe in training that's exactly what they do. We have an experienced professional goalkeeper coach,  remember. 

At six foot five inches there shouldn't be a ball flies through the 6 yard box that Dabrowski doesn't claim, and by that I mean catch not slap or punch. 

If Robbie Thomson can't teach him to come off his line and command his area then we'd be better to have O'Neill in goal.

I had him as guilty for the Ayr equaliser last week, but that was nothing compared to Friday night. Shape up or ship out.

Also not absolved from blame is Ian Murray, his signing of defenders has been absolutely woeful and his use of substitutes in the last few games highly questionable.

You're sitting 2nd and very much still in a title race that could go either way. Aren't some Rovers fans being a little too critical? Clubs like yours and ours will always have ridiculous games from time to time. 

22 minutes ago, Stellaboz said:

You're sitting 2nd and very much still in a title race that could go either way. Aren't some Rovers fans being a little too critical? Clubs like yours and ours will always have ridiculous games from time to time. 

We maybe are and at this level mistakes happen. If players didn't make mistakes then they probably wouldn't be playing in the Championship. 

33 minutes ago, Craigus said:

Maybe in training that's exactly what they do. We have an experienced professional goalkeeper coach,  remember. 

Maybe they do but anytime I've seen then training the keepers train each other.

31 minutes ago, Scottydog said:

Also not absolved from blame is Ian Murray, his signing of defenders has been absolutely woeful and his use of substitutes in the last few games highly questionable.

There’s a question here, how do we know Corr isn’t good enough? Just because IM seems to think so? If IM a is a bad judge, then trusting him to judge that Corr isn’t good enough doesn’t pass the smell test.

3 hours ago, raith1974 said:

McDonald was definitely a better all round keeper. Dabrowski's strength is his shot stopping and being a character, but his kicking with or without wind is poor, his ability to control his box and come for crosses confidently is terrible and his positioning for shots across goal ain't great. Hamilton is good in the air maybe in training they should just constantly throw crosses into the box for a while and get Hamilton attacking the goal and see if Dabrowski can dominate. 

McDonald has five times as many competitive professional games played and is about 12 years older, so I’d certainly agree he’s at least likely to be a better all round keeper (spoiler, he was). However, he wasn’t our answer going forward, and for us it’s now Big Kev and McNeil going forward, and I’m pretty happy with both, even after Friday night. We won 1-2 if Kev’s mistake was all that happened…so we have to look at the defence and midfield too.

13 minutes ago, TxRover said:

McDonald has five times as many competitive professional games played and is about 12 years older, so I’d certainly agree he’s at least likely to be a better all round keeper (spoiler, he was). However, he wasn’t our answer going forward, and for us it’s now Big Kev and McNeil going forward, and I’m pretty happy with both, even after Friday night. We won 1-2 if Kev’s mistake was all that happened…so we have to look at the defence and midfield too.

Look at an earlier post from me when I spoke about the midfield and defence.

On 02/03/2024 at 08:56, bobbykdy said:

Based on what? He has played 4 games IIRC, won two, drawn one and last nights capitulation which no one came out of looking good.

Sorry I insulted you on Friday. But I absolutely agree with your statement 

4 hours ago, Stellaboz said:

That's generally fair, however in the past couple of months we've got into winning positions against Arbroath (twice) and in home games against Inverness, Ayr and Queens Park - and won none of them.  Its incredibly frustrating to be dropping points in that manner. 

Are we all forgetting Dabrowski 's big saves this season? He has literally won us games (most recently the last minute stop against Dundee United). He had a howler against Arbroath, but he has played more than his part in getting us to the position we are in. 

14 minutes ago, chris1883 said:

Are we all forgetting Dabrowski 's big saves this season? He has literally won us games (most recently the last minute stop against Dundee United). He had a howler against Arbroath, but he has played more than his part in getting us to the position we are in. 

Id rather he did the basics well rather than producing the occasional wonder save. It would probably win us more points over the course of the season.

I think a few of us are blinded by the nice guy, badge kissing side of him rather than the fact that the defense looks nervous when he’s playing. They clearly don’t trust him. 

Edited by Jilted John

Dabrowski, ultimately, has to take the blame for that second goal on Friday evening, there’s no getting away from that. 

However, by the same token, there must have been four or five points in the build up to the goal where we could have stopped it, but ended up losing out in a 50:50 challenge. It was mortifying all round, or should be, unless you’re just wanting to dump all responsibility on Dabrowski. 

I’m not sure about Murray being a “shitebag” either, or that he’s poor at signing defenders as someone mentioned earlier. 

In his 18 months here, he’s signed Keith Watson, Euan Murray, Dylan Corr, Lee Ashcroft, Daniel O’Reilly, Ross Millen, Connor O’Riodan, Kieran Ngwrnya and Ryan Nolan. 

Not sure he could be blamed for the injuries, and as for rest, decent, or seemed a decent signing when made. 

1 hour ago, Jilted John said:

Id rather he did the basics well rather than producing the occasional wonder save. It would probably win us more points over the course of the season.

I think a few of us are blinded by the nice guy, badge kissing side of him rather than the fact that the defense looks nervous when he’s playing. They clearly don’t trust him. 

Our defence would looks nervous irrespective whos in between the sticks.Maybe KD is nervous cause of whats in front of him

Every player make mistakes in a game just unfortunate when its a keeper is highlighted more

9 hours ago, Jilted John said:

The basics can be taught, his shot stopping aptitude can not.

In all honesty I really feel for Kev. The lambasting he is getting here is very much undeserved IMO. When you look back at the season, it isn't the 'occasional wonder save', he has consistently pulled off quality stops and I believe he has won us substantial points.

We seem to be all focusing on Kev after Friday. Having watched the goals back several times my focus is on the defense. The more you watch it the more comical they are. Kev's mind clearly went towards the end of that game, but when you are a keeper playing with a defense that were unable to put a tackle in, clear a ball and showed no willingness to even attack the ball... can you blame him? 

Yes, Dabrowski needs work, but he is not to blame for that sh*t show in the final 30 minutes on Friday.

3 hours ago, chris1883 said:

We seem to be all focusing on Kev after Friday. Having watched the goals back several times my focus is on the defense. The more you watch it the more comical they are. Kev's mind clearly went towards the end of that game, but when you are a keeper playing with a defense that were unable to put a tackle in, clear a ball and showed no willingness to even attack the ball... can you blame him? 

Yes, Dabrowski needs work, but he is not to blame for that sh*t show in the final 30 minutes on Friday.

Very much this, when you have a goalkeeper who hasn't played a massive amunt of competitive football for their age amd who clearly has weaknesses in their game they are going to need some work to become better. 

Friday is a prime example of this and his naivety.

You then play them in front of a revolving door of defenders and midfielders covering positions it is going to affect their reading of the game and their expectations.

If he had the same back 4 in front of him for a season I think the weaker aspects of his game would improve. Things like collecting crosses and the general command of his box. You can't do much with kicking some keepers are shite at it end of. 

That said he has to take the criticism.on the chin and reflect on it. Something as poor as that was is unlikely to happen to him again because it'll haunt him. Not to say he won't make other outrageous mistakes but that was a harsh lesson in being aware of your surroundings and conditions. 

Such an emotive rollercoaster football is.  Why we all love and hate it at the same time.

If told at start of the season we would be 1 point behind with 10 games left we would have laughed at the idea but been delighted at the same time.
I keep saying we are having blips and Dundee United just aren't capitalising on it.  Perhaps their fans feel the same way.

Everyone makes mistakes, friday night was a clanger no denying it - suspect he had a sleepless night pondering that over and over.  It is done now.  On to the next game, lets not completely destroy the mans confidence.  

We need more of the old school Marvin we believe energy!!!

20 hours ago, raith1974 said:

McDonald was definitely a better all round keeper. Dabrowski's strength is his shot stopping and being a character, but his kicking with or without wind is poor, his ability to control his box and come for crosses confidently is terrible and his positioning for shots across goal ain't great. Hamilton is good in the air maybe in training they should just constantly throw crosses into the box for a while and get Hamilton attacking the goal and see if Dabrowski can dominate. 

That'll be both Hamilton AND Dabrowski out injured for the Pars Game then??