The New Raith Rovers Thread

14 hours ago, keyser_soze said:

I always quite liked Thin Lizzy - The Boys Are Back In Town when we played it. Some of the others are just fucking horrendous, do Alloa still come out to The A Team ? going down south sure Everton are still the Z Cars theme tune 

In our 2-0 defeat away to Dundee Utd last season Utd came out to Stone Cold Steve Austin's wrestling theme tune. Was helluva cringe.

2 hours ago, pub car king said:

hoodies and training tops for sale finally. Although £55 and £35 sure thats a bit of a fair jump from last season

Who's the boy in the picture? Any ideas...

26 minutes ago, pub car king said:

BBC reprinting Bowie to Hibs potentially on a permanent deal. 

Would we be due anything or was the deal brokered by Drysdale.

I think we had a sell-on fee as well as additional incentives based on future appearances. 

Courier reporting that we’ve added another defender to our wish list, as well as attacking options. 

Really hope that doesn’t mean Hanlon’s fucked! 

3 minutes ago, RaithRyan said:

Courier reporting that we’ve added another defender to our wish list, as well as attacking options. 

I assume it's just so we don't end up in a similar position to Saturday again.  

I said earlier in the summer I thought we'd bring in another defender for this reason.  If one was out injured for even a few weeks we'd only be an injury or suspension away from playing someone out of position like last season. We did offer Corr another contract so I assume IM has always had this in mind too.

1 hour ago, RaithRyan said:

Could do with a 4th choice, ideally someone who can also play right back to cover. If we could pick up someone in the same range as Gibson and Montagu it would be preferable I'd imagine. Someone that can be worked with for a longer term but capable of getting minutes 

22 hours ago, CountryBumpkin said:

I'd agree, the Chicago Bulls did that one really well. (not sure if they still do?)

On the football side, I took from Murray's post match that we should see Stanton back from illness. Brown and Euan Murray are possible, Vaughan and Hanlon will depend on how they react to training this week. 

I still feel we need 1-2 bodies in. A quick striker and a genuine box to box midfielder that can break past the forwards and create space. 

I'd go with the following for Saturday assuming everyone is available.

Dabrowski

Freeman  Murray  Fordyce  Stevenson

Byrne

Brown             Stanton

Gibson                                             Easton

Hamilton

I can’t help but feel that going with the same system that failed every time against Airdrie last season would be madness, and the same issues would arise. 

I was hoping that we’d have had the chance to at least try a 3-5-2/3-4-3 during pre-season or the cup games with this game in mind but we’ve obviously had some injuries to contend with.

The best spell we had against Airdrie last season was in the last match at Stark’s when we went 3-5-2, high-intensity Murrayball at 2-0 down and almost levelled before being done on the break.

That, to me, is what’s needed again but it looks like it will be more of the same and just hope that the new boys win more of their individual battles than we managed against Airdrie last term.

Can’t say I’m confident.

22 minutes ago, Rover the Moon said:

I can’t help but feel that going with the same system that failed every time against Airdrie last season would be madness, and the same issues would arise. 

I was hoping that we’d have had the chance to at least try a 3-5-2/3-4-3 during pre-season or the cup games with this game in mind but we’ve obviously had some injuries to contend with.

The best spell we had against Airdrie last season was in the last match at Stark’s when we went 3-5-2, high-intensity Murrayball at 2-0 down and almost levelled before being done on the break.

That, to me, is what’s needed again but it looks like it will be more of the same and just hope that the new boys win more of their individual battles than we managed against Airdrie last term.

Can’t say I’m confident.

Don't entirely disagree with you there. 

Thought that last season we lost a lot, against Airdrie and others because we were so light in the centre of midfield. Murrayball gives us this ridiculous situation where we have Byrne, or Brown alone in the midfield because everyone else is pushed higher up and when they beat our press, Frizzell and others found far too much space and caused chaos. 

I felt our biggest issue against Airdrie last season was not being aggressive enough with or without the ball.

We stood off them too much and allowed them to play their quick passing game.

When we did have the ball, we didn't play our own quick passing game enough.  When we did it briefly in the last game we looked like we could get at them.

Callum Fordyce does a lot of shouting and organising on the pitch and I don't see him letting us stand off them as much this season as he knows better than anyone what a Rhys McCabe team is capable of doing.

Just to add to that, a massive part of us being aggressive is having Scott Brown in the middle of the park.  He adds impetus to our attack and absolutely doesn't stand off players when we're out of possession.  

37 minutes ago, AllanJM said:

Just to add to that, a massive part of us being aggressive is having Scott Brown in the middle of the park.  He adds impetus to our attack and absolutely doesn't stand off players when we're out of possession.  

Agreed. I think that was a large part of the issue in the first half against Accies. Partly it was down to shape, but the Rovers didn't match up well enough when Accies had the ball, and the balance in the midfield was off. Brown would've gone a long way to redressing that. 

2 hours ago, CountryBumpkin said:

Don't entirely disagree with you there. 

Thought that last season we lost a lot, against Airdrie and others because we were so light in the centre of midfield. Murrayball gives us this ridiculous situation where we have Byrne, or Brown alone in the midfield because everyone else is pushed higher up and when they beat our press, Frizzell and others found far too much space and caused chaos. 

Couldn't agree more, it's how we set up every game, management team oblivious to the fact it hasn't worked since the turn of the year

Edited by anonionanawnoo

38 minutes ago, Brashy's Boots said:

Do Club 1883 members get discount at the club shop / portakabin / kiosk / hut / tin box? Some money off one of them thar new hoodies would be just dandy. How do you prove membership?

I had a look at the membership and it only states "online offers in club shop" whatever that means. As of yet I can't remember any such offers.

There's also mention of competitions, they did give away a players shirt from one of the Dundee United games last season but nothing recently. 

Screenshot_20240730_115106_Fanbase.jpg

41 minutes ago, Brashy's Boots said:

Do Club 1883 members get discount at the club shop / portakabin / kiosk / hut / tin box? Some money off one of them thar new hoodies would be just dandy. How do you prove membership?

Sure it links to your fanbase account I’m maybe wrong so you can show your a member on that. 

Think it’s maybe 10% off but I’ve never tried it yet - probably should have considering the amount of tops I’ve bought recently 😂

1 hour ago, Brashy's Boots said:

We have an aura, like the ready brek kids, but its blue