The New Raith Rovers Thread

Just now, Airdrie76 said:

Wheres Magilton getting quoted from btw? 

After we pumped Cliftonville 3-0 in the diddy cup last season a poster developed a severe fetish for them for some reason.

Yesterday afternoon, we announced the departure of Ian Murray.

Ian served the club as Manager for two seasons, and we thank him for his contributions to Raith Rovers.

As a board, we are committed to transparency in our decision-making with supporters.

Therefore, a RaithTV interview with CEO Andrew Barrowman will be shared later, providing more information on the decision, the process of recruiting a new manager, and provide a general update on the football club.

The video will be released on our social channels tonight.

On the one hand if you look at it logically. We are a good opportunity for a talented manager. We have what I'd say is an improved squad to the one that finished comfortably in second place last year. We have the potential to play exciting football. The club has new ambitious owners who have provided funds and are making visible improvements. 

The other side of things is the list of usual suspects for the job is at best "meh"

15 minutes ago, Raithie said:

After we pumped Cliftonville 3-0 in the diddy cup last season a poster developed a severe fetish for them for some reason.

That’ll be me then right. What’s wrong with thinking outside the box. Out of the list I’d look at McCabe, the rest can get in the sea

Edited by Stardog_champion

40 minutes ago, Stardog_champion said:

Have to admit, McCabe is talented. Don’t worry he won’t come to us. Me personally and it’s just me btw. I want Jim Magilton

You want Jim Magilton? You never mentioned that before?

2 hours ago, Brashy's Boots said:

Cammy Fraser

"More to it than getting beat Saturday but it won't come out . In a few weeks new manager comes in. Was he actually taking the training don't think so was he hung out to dry I think so. someone thought they knew better and all comes down to your boss who was his boss ?"

Is this lifted from Fantalk or something?

Any chance you could decipher it because, other than the first sentence, I haven’t a clue what his point is. 

9 minutes ago, Stardog_champion said:

Who do you want out of interest?

I really don’t know to be honest? 🤣 like others have said the list on mcbookie is pretty meh but it’s the usual merry go round of folk.

McCabe for me would be the only real sort of exciting one from the list. A hungry young manager who has already had decent success with Airdrie. But whether he would be willing to still work with Potter/Cameron and even Fordcye I feel could be a stumbling block. Who knows. I genuinely don’t think money would be an issue in getting him. 

McCabe would be my first choice. He signed a one year contract back in May so compensation wouldn’t be astronomical, particularly if he’s someone that the club think can take us all the way.

Failing that, I’d go for Kevin Thomson. Perhaps not everyone’s cup of tea and I completely understand the reasons why however he is very similar to McCabe.

1 hour ago, pub car king said:

On the one hand if you look at it logically. We are a good opportunity for a talented manager. We have what I'd say is an improved squad to the one that finished comfortably in second place last year. 

The problem I think without the context (which may come out) is that the above sets the bar exceptionally high, 2nd and a playoff final is not good enough, and now with an improved squad that only emphasises that perception. I think ordinarily McCabe might be open to a switch to Raith, he has to be realistic about taking opportunities when available, but just after the transfer business is done and with no time to implement his ideas I think there might just be enough red flags to put him off. 

24 minutes ago, Virtual Insanity said:

The problem I think without the context (which may come out) is that the above sets the bar exceptionally high, 2nd and a playoff final is not good enough, and now with an improved squad that only emphasises that perception. I think ordinarily McCabe might be open to a switch to Raith, he has to be realistic about taking opportunities when available, but just after the transfer business is done and with no time to implement his ideas I think there might just be enough red flags to put him off. 

I'd agree and I think the club have to set realistic targets with whoever they bring in. A manager coming in, inheriting a squad that on paper looks strong, but in reality is aging, one-paced, bereft of creativity and saddled with injury, expected to win the league is not a realistic target. Add to that there will be maybe 2/3 weeks remaining of the transfer window (assuming whoever comes in is after Partick) and an already majority spent budget to try and bring in who they feel they need.

1 hour ago, Raithie said:

The same Cliftonville that won the Northern Irish cup final against the most heavily backed team in their country. That led to a very short Euro experience. But hey let’s go with a generic loser. 

3 minutes ago, Stardog_champion said:

The same Cliftonville that won the Northern Irish cup final against the most heavily backed team in their country. That led to a very short Euro experience. But hey let’s go with a generic loser. 

Jim Magilton’s general managerial record isn’t very good, he’s essentially a generic loser I suppose. What is it about him that makes you think we should approach him? 

5 minutes ago, McGuigan1978 said:

Jim Magilton’s general managerial record isn’t very good, he’s essentially a generic loser I suppose. What is it about him that makes you think we should approach him? 

Scored a few screamers for Southampton back in 1996 and is Irish and we had Jimmy Nicholl so it's a no brainer.

On the Murray sacking, I was really taken aback when I saw the announcement. I figured he'd have enough credit in the bank from last season's exploits to see out a bog standard League Cup campaign/elimination and a 6th non-winning game in a season-and-a-game against Airdrie. On reflection though, after a terrific first half to last season, the results and in particular the performances just weren't there from Christmas onwards - the ridiculous run of last minute goals covered a multitude of sins -  and I can see where the boards explanation of performances being a factor is coming from. I have doubts this is the sole reason for it and I am looking forward to seeing Andrew Barrowman's interview later to see if anything is cleared up in that regard.

Overall, I am quite gutted about the situation. I really liked Ian Murray, felt he came across really well in pre- and post-match interviews and gave us one of our most exciting 2nd tier seasons in almost 30 years; not to mention stabalising us in the aftermath of McGlynn creating *that* shit-show then f**king off.

As for a replacement, I really don't know. The usual managerial merry-go-round candidates are uninspiring at best and I really hope the board have a plan in place - preferably one that doesn't involve John Potter taking it on.

Has Jim Magilton been mentioned yet?..