The New Raith Rovers Thread

Just now, Rover the Moon said:

The “see and hear” comments were interesting, suggesting either some players weren’t happy with certain things or the board have eyes and ears in the dressing room (Potter?) who’s seen something he doesn’t like.

Also pretty desperate to claim it’s “Game 8” of the season as some form of justification. Who the f**k cares about results or performances in pre-season games?

Well the board? Clearly. 🤣🤷‍♂️

1 minute ago, Rover the Moon said:

The “see and hear” comments were interesting, suggesting either some players weren’t happy with certain things or the board have eyes and ears in the dressing room (Potter?) who’s seen something he doesn’t like.

Also pretty desperate to claim it’s “Game 8” of the season as some form of justification. Who the f**k cares about results or performances in pre-season games?

When there's money to be made by progressing in the cup, the business of RRFC cares about results.

10 minutes ago, D'Jaffo said:

find it hard to believe that Murray wouldn’t have been aware that his employers were seeking out his replacement before sacking him. 

I don't think it is. He won't be privy to all of the back office goings on, especially now that there's more of a structure in place. 

Unless we were daft enough to try and sound out one of his mates to replace him or something, I'm not sure he'd know. I suppose it also depends on what conversations he'd been having with Barrowman, although he mentioned that Murray was taken by surprise. 

10 minutes ago, D'Jaffo said:

If the decision was made long ago then why wait until now? Surely the board didn’t lose faith in him after the playoffs, let him add players to the group and then sack him after a bad start? 

Maybe I’m doing Raith a disservice but I don’t think there’s any way you can slice this that makes them look good in this situation. Either they’ve panicked and reacted quickly to results or they’ve delayed a pretty big decision when it could’ve been taken months ago? Will be interesting to see how this plays out though. 

Watched the interview and appreciate the sit down in general, but you’re not telling me that if we’d beaten Airdrie on Saturday, (aye I know that’s unlikely but bear with me here) that everything would be okay and Murray’s position would be hunky dory? 

It must have been a talking point for a while now, and I do wonder if we’d lost to Partick rather than Ross County if it would have happened a few months earlier? 

I’m not sure I’m any more or less assured from the interview, or even more clued up as to why it happened to be quite honest.

Regardless, the phrase “best interests of the club” was used willy nilly, so I suppose we’ll hope for the best and take it from there. 

1 minute ago, McGuigan1978 said:

Watched the interview and appreciate the sit down in general, but you’re not telling me that if we’d beaten Airdrie on Saturday, (aye I know that’s unlikely but bear with me here) that everything would be okay and Murray’s position would be hunky dory? 

It must have been a talking point for a while now, and I do wonder if we’d lost to Partick rather than Ross County if it would have happened a few months earlier? 

I’m not sure I’m any more or less assured from the interview, or even more clued up as to why it happened to be quite honest.

Regardless, the phrase “best interests of the club” was used willy nilly, so I suppose we’ll hope for the best and take it from there. 

Or the more progressive “greater good”

2 minutes ago, Brashy's Boots said:

When there's money to be made by progressing in the cup, the business of RRFC cares about results.

That’s the cup and clearly different. He specifically included pre-season games. So this decision has, in some way, come about because we drew 0-0 with East Fife in a friendly.

2 minutes ago, Rover the Moon said:

That’s the cup and clearly different. He specifically included pre-season games. So this decision has, in some way, come about because we drew 0-0 with East Fife in a friendly.

Or struggled against a team that narrowly avoided being relegated out of the Scottish league. 

A very nothing interview from Barrowman there. Lots of words, marketing speak and platitudes but no real interesting stuff. No breakdown of what the criteria that Murray didn't change in the 5 games he's had to manage competitively this season. To judge a manager on the 3 pre season games for performances when he's looking to bed players into the system and getting minutes into legs is ludicrous. 

Also if there was concern about playing style and performance why was he backed to bring back players that contributed to that level of performance last season, on top of signing some of the oldest professionals going? 

The plus side is that there is budget there to bring players in and hopefully move players on that aren't in the new managers plans or those that want to leave. Whoever comes in has a rebuild to do at the end of this season or the following one as we have way too many players over the age of 30.

A new manager and a competitive squad is a must for Saturday. Anything less is a failure at the top level for the club.

Edited by CountryBumpkin

Just now, Michael W said:

I don't think it is. He won't be privy to all of the back office goings on, especially now that there's more of a structure in place. 

Unless we were daft enough to try and sound out one of his mates to replace him or something, I'm not sure he'd know. I suppose it also depends on what conversations he'd been having with Barrowman, although he mentioned that Murray was taken by surprise. 

I’ve just listened to the interview. 

As an outside fan I picked up on a couple of things. 

The way the club have played this is either genius or stupid. You’ll only really find out come the end of the season. I do agree with Barrowman when he spoke about when is the right time to sack a manager or something along those lines. Do you wait another four or five games when deep down you know the decision is made. I think that’s spot on and I think some clubs/chairmen delay a decision and give extra time based on things like what the reaction will be, credit in the bank or just downright praying it works. I think there was an element of that with ourselves last season when it came to Bullen. You know it’s not working, it’s not going to change, you’ve lost faith in the guy so make the change and do it now. Barrowman and co have at least shown they can make tricky decisions. Whether or not it’s right, the club clearly lost faith in Murray so he had to go. I think that’s the most important point and why Barrowman keeps reiterating the “best for the club line”. So whilst I think the timing is odd, I can understand why they have done it now if that makes sense? 

What would concern me as a Raith fan is the response from the players. Barrowman didn’t hide the fact that there was maybe one or two that were surprised or maybe not overly pleased with the action taken. Him brushing it off as not caring seems a bit blasé and it will be interesting how those players react to whoever ends up coming in. 

Can’t believe all the moaning that took place by folk on here over the last few games and all of a sudden we’re surprised IM was sacked. The board will be well aware of the lack of excitement the majority of fans had facing another season with Murray at the helm. Crowds and revenue would have dropped sharply compared to last season. The business decision was a no brainer sadly and we fans need to take a fair amount of responsibility for the decision that was made.

1 minute ago, Rover the Moon said:

That's just acting the goat, but if that's what you think, you're partly right. A squad of our quality, variety and experience, which was 2 games short of promotion to the Premiership, should really have coasted a friendly against those wid tinks in 1st gear. It didn't.

Took the time to watch this to try to convince myself that McCabe is staying at Airdrie.

If Raith had being doing “due diligence” (effectively tapping up) a prospective new manager, it does make me wonder why McCabe would’ve signed a new deal in the summer.

Also quite confused as to why they didn’t just bin Murray after the play-off? The optics of this emptying of the manager after one league match are many, many times worse than if they could’ve made it out to be a natural parting of ways after play-off disappointment.

As for Barrowman, I understand that a lot of Raith fans like the transparency that he brings as a frontman for the board, but a lot of the waffle on show over that 20 minutes sounded straight out of a “how to be a CEO for dummies” handbook, I’m afraid.

In one way I can actually “admire” the bold decision to sack Ian Murray after game 1. Your CEO makes a valid point that it’s just the norm to sack a manager after 5 or 6 games when you’re potentially already 12-15pts behind your rivals. If the board has formed an opinion that Murray isn’t the man then the decision has already been made. 

However, it’s clear there has been some major investment into the club these past couple of seasons and your board are obviously banking on getting promoted this season. Not a wise business model if you ask me. They clearly budgeted to finish top and also budgeted to progress out the league cup. Again, one would have to argue this is pretty short sighted and puts the clubs finances at risk if goals are not met. Moreover, some of the contracts you guys have dished out is insane imo. 3 year deal to a 34 year Paul hanlon is the pick of the bunch. A 3 year deal to a 32 year Josh Mullin as well last season. None of those contracts are sensible nor financially sustainable. I also think you have quite an aging squad. Think I read the other day the average age of your starting 11 against Airdrie was 29. Not the worst but certainly not the best and must put your squad as one of the oldest in the league. 

In summary your board have either played an absolute blinder (if they get the next appointment correct) or you guys might be in some trouble next year if you don’t get promoted. 

5 minutes ago, Rover the Moon said:

I think it was more the manner of play in all of those games, the players need to shoulder some of the responsibility for how this has ended, and I keep thinking back to those Arbroath games as well

1 minute ago, Rhys McCabe Hype Train said:

Took the time to watch this to try to convince myself that McCabe is staying at Airdrie.

If Raith had being doing “due diligence” (effectively tapping up) a prospective new manager, it does make me wonder why McCabe would’ve signed a new deal in the summer.

Also quite confused as to why they didn’t just bin Murray after the play-off? The optics of this emptying of the manager after one league match are many, many times worse than if they could’ve made it out to be a natural parting of ways after play-off disappointment.

As for Barrowman, I understand that a lot of Raith fans like the transparency that he brings as a frontman for the board, but a lot of the waffle on show over that 20 minutes sounded straight out of a “how to be a CEO for dummies” handbook, I’m afraid.

^^^^ flapping

17 minutes ago, Stardog_champion said:

So it’s Callum Fordyce

Rather that than someone from a frankly terrible side from Northern Ireland, to be honest. 

9 minutes ago, McGuigan1978 said:

I very nearly asked in my last post if Raith had beaten Airdrie, would Murray still be in a job? I doubt that one result would’ve been enough to change the boards thinking as they had clearly been having doubts but I don’t think they make that decision if Raith win the game on Saturday. 

I find it all really interesting as Barrowman is able to cut through the nonsense that many fans tell themselves about when or why managers get sacked. Its become customary for managers to lose their jobs on the back of a really bad runs but in this instance it seems to be more a case of Raith just not being convinced that they can progress further with Murray as a manager which I think some fans may have been thinking themselves. As I said it’ll either be a master stroke or a dreadful decision but it’s intriguing not the less. 

1 minute ago, Rhys McCabe Hype Train said:

I can see why you’d think this. However, he’s done a few interviews with RaithTV since coming in and also a Q&A with fans. He’s been pretty transparent in all of these and more importantly has then either done what he said he would do or explained why he hadn’t yet.

4 minutes ago, Oberon43 said:

Can’t believe all the moaning that took place by folk on here over the last few games and all of a sudden we’re surprised IM was sacked. The board will be well aware of the lack of excitement the majority of fans had facing another season with Murray at the helm. Crowds and revenue would have dropped sharply compared to last season. The business decision was a no brainer sadly and we fans need to take a fair amount of responsibility for the decision that was made.

What are you suggesting here? That it was the season ticket holders fault that we barely had a shot at goal versus Stranraer?