The New Raith Rovers Thread

I'm reading it as we'll go with what we have, see how it goes, and if things aren't going accordingly we'll try and strengthen before the window closes. So by that rationale Scott and Anderson will be our wide players with Fox and Moon in the middle.

Looking at the squad built to date, we'd be bloody mad to go 4-4-2

Yeah if we stick with what we've got I'll be shocked if we don't start 3-5-2 for our first friendly.

That or 4-2-3-1, I think that might suit us well if you imagine having Stewart and Anderson in support of Elliot/Nade.

I'd like to think that we're going to be playing Callachan most weeks this season. He was good almost every time I saw him last year, certainly a better performer than Fox.

As for Nade being "the most unusual signing of the summer" - not really. A player who's played a good level with Hearts, and did very well in the latter stages of the season last year for the team who won the league. He will have had more offers than just us.

Nade must be the most unusual signing of the summer. So over rated IMO.

I'm not sure he's over rated, apart from Dundee fans no one rates him at all. Him and Stewart certainly feel like gambles.

I do think we will miss Cardle more than anyone else. His cuts inside were predictable, but he did so much in terms of holding up play and linking in other players.

I'd like to think that we're going to be playing Callachan most weeks this season. He was good almost every time I saw him last year, certainly a better performer than Fox.

As for Nade being "the most unusual signing of the summer" - not really. A player who's played a good level with Hearts, and did very well in the latter stages of the season last year for the team who won the league. He will have had more offers than just us.

Fox, certainly in the back half of the season struggled. Which at least had something to do with an injury that he was carrying (at one point they wouldn't let him train, so short on players were we and so scared he'd break down in training) Still, even when fit they are different types of players. I'm not sure Moon and Callachan provide the right mix in midfield, both want to push on a fair bit and neither naturally sits in. Fox, for all his shite tackling, is happy to sit in and distributes the ball really well. I think Callachan and Fox would be a good combination - not so sure about Moon with Callachan, even if both are better players than Fox.

Fox distributes the ball pretty well? Is that just a fancy word for pass? If so then I have yet to see this for a while. I have repeatedly seen him punt the ball out of play and move it slackly across the midfield often though.

Albeit that was in the last 4 months of the season. The first half he was actually quite good sometimes.

He's the perfect example of a consistent 6/10 though (n/h). Plays the side of the game a lot don't want to but doesn't do it particularly well.

We would be mad not to start him though unless we can get Callachan or Moon to sit a bit deeper.

Remember this from May 8th?

One of the main lessons learned was that although the quality of players on the books this season was very good, we perhaps did not have enough ‘strength in depth’ to cope with injuries to key players and suspensions or to enable the management to tactically change the team around in order to counter the strengths of, and attack the weaknesses of, different opponents. There is also a recognition that unnecessary bookings need to be avoided going forward but that, nevertheless, we need to bring in players capable of combatting other teams’ attacking capabilities.

The following is from a recent copy of the FFP after the signings of McKeown and Stewart:

With other new signings Craig Barr, Martin Scott, Christian Nade also on board, Murray is pleased with his transfer dealings thus far - but insists he’s not finished yet. “We’re reasonable in terms of squad strength at the moment but I’d still like to add another one or two players,” he said.

So, on May 8th we needed strength in depth. Last week we still needed strength in depth but not as much, maybe one or two players. Today we don't need strength in depth but if we have problems with injuries or suspensions or both we'll leave something in the pot to do something about it.

Sounds like last season all over again to me

One of the main lessons learned was that although the quality of players on the books this season was very good, we perhaps did not have enough ‘strength in depth’ to cope with injuries to key players and suspensions or to enable the management to tactically change the team around in order to counter the strengths of, and attack the weaknesses of, different opponents. There is also a recognition that unnecessary bookings need to be avoided going forward but that, nevertheless, we need to bring in players capable of combatting other teams’ attacking capabilities.
The following is from a recent copy of the FFP after the signings of McKeown and Stewart:
With other new signings Craig Barr, Martin Scott, Christian Nade also on board, Murray is pleased with his transfer dealings thus far - but insists he’s not finished yet. “We’re reasonable in terms of squad strength at the moment but I’d still like to add another one or two players,” he said.
So, on May 8th we needed strength in depth. Last week we still needed strength in depth but not as much, maybe one or two players. Today we don't need strength in depth but if we have problems with injuries or suspensions or both we'll leave something in the pot to do something about it.

Completely agree. Last season, we didn't have many serious injury problems until McGurn got injured. Then things went to shit and gradually got worse, before we started offering people contracts to plug the gaps.

The lack of a natural left midfielder is very much a worry. I really hope we don't put Anderson out on the left with Scott on the right. We'd be better served playing them in the positions they work best in. We really can't adopt the square pegs for round holes approach next season as it'll be an absolutely ruthless league.

Completely agree.

Maybe by next weeks FFP we'll be releasing players because the squad is too big.

Let me get this right. Out go baird cardle smith boothe spence mullen robinson and donaldson total 8 and bring in nade stewart scott mckeon cuthbert barr and 3 youth players one of which is out on loan already. How does this equate to a larger more competitive squad than last season. Being fed bullshit by the board again me thinks. We need another 3 or 4 players at least for this to happen.

Got a bench full of youth players again

Edited by MICMAC

It's July 3rd. Let's not panic, folks.

It's not panic, merely incredulous that the board can equate "Strength in depth" to "I'd like 1 or 2 more players" last week, which would at best give us a squad only very slightly bigger than what started last year to "content with the squad" This week when we haven't even signed those 1 or 2 players.

We have no left sided midfielder, no cover for full backs and look very one paced, far more so than last year.

It's July 3rd. Let's not panic, folks.

I'm not panicking bud, last week Murray said in the press that he's looking to sign 1 maybe 2 more players. We signed Stewart which still leaves us with 2 less than we had last season and in this weeks ffp it pretty much says that's it and we'll see how it goes before the window closes. Yes I understand that its only the 3rd of July but pre-season friendlies start nxt week and we have absolutely no cover and not enough players to try out different formations

Its not unjustified concern.

The board identified that squad depth was the main factor for an absolute failure of a league campaign.

The are now satisfied with what appears to be a just as weak squad, in terms of depth.

Don't mean to wade into your argument here but could it be Murray has been unsuccessful in signing who he wanted and is now happy to go with the squad he has rather than just signing another 3/4 players just for the sake of it?