The New Raith Rovers Thread

Had a good six months two seasons ago; not much from him since. Would be an underwhelming signing.

I'd just be happy to get another striker in as I'm not really sure where the goals are coming from at the minute...it's looking like Elliot's gonna have to have some season by netting 30-40 goals himself :lol:

I too would be less than enthralled by us signing Campbell who did nothing in a poor Morton side last season, even more so as he had the ordacity to knock us back when McGlynn was here. Let him go back to the place of his birth I'm sure he'd be a good fit at Leastend Park.

As suggested earlier we should be going for Dale Hilson, he would be a much better prospect and possibly cheaper too.

Undoubtedly we have held talks with Campbell, whether or no the interest is alive is another thing. Murray does not 'go about his busniess' as it were, by carefully selecting his prime targets, I think he's pretty much decided that at our levels, so players are in that middle 70% of skill/ability that they are much of a muchness, barring upsurges in form. Last year he must have talked to, or offered contracts to three quarters of all the out of contract players. This year, I'm fairly sure he's offered contracts to folk and already not followed up his interest in them, before signing someone else in their position.

His signing strategy, blunt and mercenary as it is, seems to be to offer as many contracts as possible, and see who the best guy who says yes is.

Undoubtedly we have held talks with Campbell, whether or no the interest is alive is another thing. Murray does not 'go about his busniess' as it were, by carefully selecting his prime targets, I think he's pretty much decided that at our levels, so players are in that middle 70% of skill/ability that they are much of a muchness, barring upsurges in form. Last year he must have talked to, or offered contracts to three quarters of all the out of contract players. This year, I'm fairly sure he's offered contracts to folk and already not followed up his interest in them, before signing someone else in their position.

His signing strategy, blunt and mercenary as it is, seems to be to offer as many contracts as possible, and see who the best guy who says yes is.

I really much doubt that. That's maybe how the papers make it come across but I really doubt it's like that in the slightest.

I really much doubt that. That's maybe how the papers make it come across but I really doubt it's like that in the slightest.

I don't really read the papers for Scottish football beyond the FFP, so can't say I'm terribly influenced by them. I'm just aware of the fact that he does talk to a lot of people and has previously put contracts on the table for guys, and then dragged his heels over it, before finding someone better in that position.

To be honest, it makes a lot of sense - most of the players at this level ARE much of a muchness.

I don't really read the papers for Scottish football beyond the FFP, so can't say I'm terribly influenced by them. I'm just aware of the fact that he does talk to a lot of people and has previously put contracts on the table for guys, and then dragged his heels over it, before finding someone better in that position.

To be honest, it makes a lot of sense - most of the players at this level ARE much of a muchness.

I heard this was exactly what happened with Scott Linton. Deal was offered then I think it was Barr that signed up for Raith and Linton's offer was removed.

I've totally mis understood what you were saying. After reading back I now get it.

I'd imagine that's what would happen to an extent but at the same time I don't think it'll be as blunt as that. When the pool of players we are recruiting is fairly small and so many clubs are after the same players Year after year I doubt Murray would want to be burning any bridges.

Would Raith not have been better using the Campbell/Stewart wages to sign one striker who is far more likely to be a success?

In fairness, we tried. The only issue was that John Baird went for a 2 year deal at QotS rather than our offer of a one year deal. He's even come out and said it wasn't about the money, just the security. If Bairdy had re-signed, I'm pretty sure every Rovers fan would've been a lot more confident, especially in addition to our new signings.

Would Raith not have been better using the Campbell/Stewart wages to sign one striker who is far more likely to be a success?

Who's that then? Anybody that capable will probably have offers in excess of the Campbell/Stewart wages and if not the offer won't be much less and will be at a higher level/bigger club. We don't sign anybody GM doesn't know so pretty much anybody outwith the SPFL is out of the question.

That said I think I'd rather sign that Hilson guy, who snubbed you, over signing Campbell.

Edited by Enigma

When did this happen?

Saw it mentioned on either your thread or the transfer thread that the Hilson deal was off as he didn't want to sign for Houston.

Should have put "apparently snubbed", apologies.

Edited by Enigma

In fairness, we tried. The only issue was that John Baird went for a 2 year deal at QotS rather than our offer of a one year deal. He's even come out and said it wasn't about the money, just the security. If Bairdy had re-signed, I'm pretty sure every Rovers fan would've been a lot more confident, especially in addition to our new signings.

Was it ever confirmed we only offered Baird a year? An absolute disgrace if so.