The New Raith Rovers Thread

Nade scores to make it 2-2 with a tap in after Callachan shoots from roughly 25 yards and hits the post!

Callachan must be the unluckiest guy in the team.

How many times has he hit the woodwork? The boy should have a barrow load of goals by now.

Glad I never went, but pre-season results mean very little. Doesn't Seem like our "preferred" back 4 plus goalkeeper either so can't really make too much judgment, considering I wasn't in attendance.

The first game in the newly sponsored Ramsdens cup is when is should get interesting!

I don't know why they just didn't make that a closed doors game. The Rovers were treating it like a kick about to be honest, even Moon when he came on didn't seem to be bothered running the length of himself.

I don't think you can rightly pick out any kind of meaningful lessons from it. Certainly Bates and Ellis shouldn't play together at centre back maybe? But that seems an obvious lesson anyway. Mathews looked ok, if a bit slight of build and not possessed of the blistering pace of a proper modern right back.

Callachan should try to do less? He was maybe the one guy who tries to run about a bit, but tended to take way too many touches and slow things down - it was like he was channeling Davo.

Nade looks alright, and Stewart looks..... something?

I think we tried to go for a bit of a fluid front line, with Nade at the tip, Elliot in a free role behind him and Stewart and trialist (whisper it....ARCHIE CAMPBELL) playing wider roles, at least in the first half, but, down the right (trialist ARCHIE CAMPBELL and mathews) we got exposed a fair bit.

As I said, we were barely treating it like a game of football, and you can't take too much away from it, but at the same time I'm deflated by how ordinary we look, with none of the passing style play we had last year, even when we were losing, obviously some of that is not having a proper set of centre backs and a right back, nor our starting midfield (never even saw Scott) but yeah, we looked... ordinary.

Shame that we will end up losing out on Galbraith.

Agree with that Renton. I'm not looking into the result too much given the number of players who didn't feature.

I'd also add that Anderson offered a far better attacking outlet when he came on than we'd had before. We really do need another naturally wide player to offer a bit more balance to the team.

Can't disagree with much of that. Nade looks strong and will be a good asset for holding the ball up and bringing others into play. Stewart shouldn't play out wide again really didn't look comfortable there tho CAmbell seemed to have a solid game. Our new left back looked a bit dodgy at times tho probably just like the rest a bit of match practice/fitness should sort that out. I actually liked the look of Matthews wasn't afraid to overlap the man in front of him and if the final ball had been a bit better could of created a goal or 2

Will be looking more like a proper starting 11 against Saints on Sat I would guess with Scott, Watson, Thompson, Cuthbert, Moon, Anderson, Hill/Barr probably all starting